2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best song to show off Meridian Surround System

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023 | 11:24 AM
v35
Three Wheeling

Do others generally share the OP's enthusiasm about the Meridian system? It's the worst "factory upgrade" sound system I've had in any car I owned. I haven't come across any songs that make it sound any better.

Old 12-21-2023 | 11:47 AM
Drifting

My go-to track for evaluating any system’s low-end is Djemba Djemba - Stahp.

I find the Meridian Surround system quite good for a factory system. I have several headphones in the $1500-$2000 range running on similar priced amp/dacs as well as a $2500 KEF passive bookshelf speaker system at home. The Meridian sounds as good as my home listening and better than the B&O system in my Audi (although it’s 10 yrs old now). Curious what crazy hifi systems y’all have at home to be saying Meridian is that bad! Granted I never listened to the non-surround system.

I recommend NOT listening to music thru SiriusXM or other low bit rate sources. I use Apple Music for streaming and make sure I turn on high quality streaming settings in the app. My phone is showing Lossless quality playback however I question if the car is actually outputting lossless. I do find quality on par with my USB drive filled with FLAC files so no complaints from me.

The following 3 users liked this post by ZeroWG:
BD1 (12-21-2023), ficklma1 (12-26-2023), The Phantom Menace (03-15-2024)
Old 12-21-2023 | 11:56 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by ZeroWG

I recommend NOT listening to music thru SiriusXM or other low bit rate sources. I use Apple Music for streaming and make sure I turn on high quality streaming settings in the app. My phone is showing Lossless quality playback however I question if the car is actually outputting lossless. I do find quality on par with my USB drive filled with FLAC files so no complaints from me.
this is what I do and the sounds are pretty damn good to me for a $1,000ish factory system.

The following 5 users liked this post by NativeTexan:
ficklma1 (12-26-2023), JMF20 (12-22-2023), Muppetry (12-22-2023), The Phantom Menace (03-15-2024), ZeroWG (12-21-2023)
Old 12-22-2023 | 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by v35
Do others generally share the OP's enthusiasm about the Meridian system? It's the worst "factory upgrade" sound system I've had in any car I owned. I haven't come across any songs that make it sound any better.
For a factory system I think it is really rather good, although it does require setting it up correctly. The default settings produce a strangely poor sound. Now for anyone whose sound goal is one of those vehicles that pulls up at the lights throbbing and vibrating then this is probably not going to satisfy.

The following 3 users liked this post by Muppetry:
ficklma1 (12-26-2023), JMF20 (02-07-2024), lrFFM (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024 | 02:22 PM
5th Gear

Resurrecting an old thread here :- )
My 7YO had a spelling test today that she was nervous about. Played Phil Collins, “In The Air Tonight” on the drive to school this morning and I thought it sounded pretty good.

… She was not a fan of Phil

The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff_in_AK:
ba_ (02-07-2024), COBoarder (02-08-2024), dshark1 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024 | 01:38 PM
Winching

I have the 400w Meridian in my Defender, but my old Disco 5 had the Meridian Surround and it was excellent. Some of my favorite songs to play are Intergalactic by the Beastie Boys - great for bass response; Mayor Of Simpleton by XTC; Ain't No Rest for the Wicked by Cage The Elephant; Roses by the Chainsmokers ft. ROZES; Royals by Lorde; Basket Case by Brasstracks - this song is excellent for staging and bass response; Over and Over by Hot Chip; Hotel California by the Eagles; Yeah by Usher, Follow Me by Uncle Kracker; E.I. by Nelly and Jealous (I Ain't With It) by Chromeo.

Old 02-08-2024 | 05:55 PM
Mudding

I have not heard the Meridian system, so I can't speak to it myself, but back in the day when you could buy a car without a stereo at all, I would always choose that option and put in the best custom system I could afford. You don't have to like the music, but for sheer quality of production and sound, much of the Steely Dan catalog (especially Aja) will show off what a good sound system can do, as will Rumors by Fleetwood Mac, especially Dreams. I also find AC/DC Back in Black's production to be stellar and shine on a quality system as does George Strait's Here for a Good Time. There are tons of options out there.

Last edited by catman; 02-08-2024 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2024 | 03:03 AM
Mudding

Any of the iconic songs recorded at the famed Electric Lady Studios in NYC sound great on this system

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37...u-6iu7KYwnSTmi

Old 02-26-2024 | 06:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by v35
^This. This 400 watt system I got stuck with is just sad compared to the 825 watt Meridian system in our previous LR4's.

Old 03-09-2024 | 11:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Muppetry
For a factory system I think it is really rather good, although it does require setting it up correctly. The default settings produce a strangely poor sound. Now for anyone whose sound goal is one of those vehicles that pulls up at the lights throbbing and vibrating then this is probably not going to satisfy.
What do you mean by “setting it up correctly”? I only see Treble, Bass and Subwoofer” controls in addition to standard balance/fader

I am asking because I am new to the Defender, but have owned a 2017 Disco V with Meridian Surround for last 6 years. The Disco Meridian Surround really blows my minds (in a great way) and continues to do so (and all settings are the default with “Surround” On). The Disco’s system is the best factory system I have ever heard. So, when shopping for the Defender, the Meridian Surround was a must have for me. However, so far, 4 days into my ownership, the Defender’s Meridian Surround is disappointing. No mid-range, poor bass, weak subwoofer - in my opinion. I keep slowly adjusting Bass and Subwoofer in the positive direction, but it still hasn’t come close to sounding like my Disco.

So, just wondering what I’m missing as far as settings.

Last edited by longtrip68; 03-09-2024 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Best song to show off Meridian Surround System