Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body panel clips

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 07:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 39 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Body panel clips

Does anyone have a part number for the pesky little white panel clips? Please and thank you.

Last edited by Awtargum; 01-31-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 39 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nevermind

Found them:

Part No. RRC438-Clip-Gen-5pc

Old 02-01-2022, 09:06 AM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Awtargum
Does anyone have a part number for the pesky little white panel clips? Please and thank you.
To begin with, I don’t understand the methodology that Land Rover uses in their design when choosing how to attach trim pieces to the vehicle. Most of these clips seems to be one-time use, sacrificial devices, that must be replaced when removing a trim piece, as they are destroyed upon removal. My experience in working with other vehicles is such that you can remove a trim part, complete your work, and snap it back on. When I added side steps to my Defender, they were shipped with 32 replacement clips, as the instructions indicated that the clips would need to be replaced when reinstalling the lower rocker covers. And as stated, the clips were destroyed upon removal of the rocker covers. And the clips that Awtargum are referring to are made of plastic and prone to breakage. Purchasing these clips from the dealer are an expensive proposition. The clips I found in the pic from Amazon are metal, and I believe they may be a proper replacement, but one would need to measure the original clip and compare it with the dimensions provided in the pic. And I’m sure 30 clips for $9.99 is far less than the dealer would charge. And these won’t break upon removal. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I wouldn't use metal retainer clips as they will scratch the paint when getting pushed into the hole thus creating a point for rust to begin.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

I was ordering something from PowerfulUk and just decided to "stock up". If you have anything else you want, I would add these to the order if I were you: https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...nder-2020.html

Old 02-01-2022, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@WTFChuck - I like where you are going with those! I would MUCH prefer a cheaper alternative. It isn't like these should be that proprietary. My only concern is that those may not "give". I don't mind the concept of a "sacrificial" little clip if it gives before the expensive trim does. I think that's a brilliant concept. What I don't like is that they run about $2 USD each! I'd just be happier with a cheaper solution. Maybe it would be a perfect thing to 3d print. If only I had the skills, or the printer, or the time, or the give-a-crap, or.... Cheap & sacrificial would do the deed for me.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:04 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

what did you remove to need these?

installing new side fenders, bottom rocker panel for mud flaps all require new ones of these but the new parts usually come with the clips.

after messing with these too many times i believe they break cause something needs to give when yanking the panels off. either the clips or the panel itself

the metal clips are a great idea but as mentioned they will scratch the body and instead of the clips breaking the panel that holds the clip will break instead.

Originally Posted by Awtargum
Found them:

Part No. RRC438-Clip-Gen-5pc

Old 02-01-2022, 11:20 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Low Country
I wouldn't use metal retainer clips as they will scratch the paint when getting pushed into the hole thus creating a point for rust to begin.
Good point, although most of the locations where these clips are employed are on plastic parts, being seated into plastic receivers, so it is usually a non-issue. And if taken into context, the tiny spot where these clips are pushed into, even where it is metal, would rarely be a problem, and take many years for it to be a real issue. Especially when compared to pics of vehicles driven over rocks, through mud, branches, snow, salt, sand and similar terrains. But each owner can make his own determination. Additionally, I found these during a 30 second search. I’m sure one can source these clips in plastic also. I bought a trim clip replacement kit, containing all variations of clips, in plastic, which are commonly found all over the vehicle, from the wheel well liner, to the underbody shielding, including a removal tool for a fraction of what 6 of these clips would cost from the stealership, oops, dealership.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

My uncle has done bodywork his whole life and he has taught me to replace the plastic clip every time you remove the panel. Metal clips can corrode over time with all the weather the body sees. Plastic is cheap and easy to use.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Ehloo
what did you remove to need these?

installing new side fenders, bottom rocker panel for mud flaps all require new ones of these but the new parts usually come with the clips.

after messing with these too many times i believe they break cause something needs to give when yanking the panels off. either the clips or the panel itself

the metal clips are a great idea but as mentioned they will scratch the body and instead of the clips breaking the panel that holds the clip will break instead.
Like I said, you can buy these clips in plastic at a much lower price if you prefer. But the concept is that all of these clips are designed to ‘flex’ upon removal and reinstallation, so whether metal or plastic, they will not break the piece they are being ‘pushed’ into. They only break because they are brittle plastic. It has nothing to do with something needing ‘to give’. When being extracted, the metal, or plastic, flexes to allow removal, then flexes to allow reinstallation. Been doing this for many years, so I speak from experience. Have installed side steps, mud flaps, dynamic directional indicators from PowerfulUK, LED reverse lamps on my 2022 with no problems. Can’t see paying the dealer what they charge for installation, at their hourly labor rate. Saved $1000+ at least, when I see other posters numbers for installing these accessories from the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (02-02-2022)