2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build and delivery timing question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 12:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Build and delivery timing question.

After seeing all these posts about people waiting 12 months for delivery, I have a question. I went to the dealership last week and the sales guy told me that they have some being build on 4/4 for July delivery. I couldn't get the larger screen - hopefully I can get the digital instrument cluster. Do you think the sales guy was being honest that the truck will arrive in July or does that sound non-realistic? Also, I left my credit card info, for the deposit, but my card hasn't been charged yet. Should they have charged me for the deposit already? Thanks for your input.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts

I think 12 months is mostly dependent on the dealer's funnel. My 130 was ~4.5 months from submitting an order to taking it home so not everyone is waiting a year.

You may be taking the slot of someone that canceled their order or dealer inventory but usually they confirm the order and it can be almost 2 months before its built. About 5 weeks before the scheduled build date your order can not be changed but you can make changes up to that point. It would be odd, though not impossible, that you would be taking the slot of someone that had every option you wanted including exterior and interior color.

The following users liked this post:
joeg679 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 12:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by EasternShoreDefender
I think 12 months is mostly dependent on the dealer's funnel. My 130 was ~4.5 months from submitting an order to taking it home so not everyone is waiting a year.

You may be taking the slot of someone that canceled their order or dealer inventory but usually they confirm the order and it can be almost 2 months before its built. About 5 weeks before the scheduled build date your order can not be changed but you can make changes up to that point. It would be odd, though not impossible, that you would be taking the slot of someone that had every option you wanted including exterior and interior color.
When I went there, the sales guy said that he had some being built in April for July delivery and I could customize it and make changes until 4/4, which was the build date. So we sat down, I chose the color and options and that was that. So I wasn't taking someone else's, because I was able to build it. I'm wondering what the truck would've looked like and what options it would have had if no one came in to build it before the 4th...

Old 03-27-2023, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by joeg679
When I went there, the sales guy said that he had some being built in April for July delivery and I could customize it and make changes until 4/4, which was the build date. So we sat down, I chose the color and options and that was that. So I wasn't taking someone else's, because I was able to build it. I'm wondering what the truck would've looked like and what options it would have had if no one came in to build it before the 4th...
You can make changes on someone else's build if you inherited it. You're not inherting their truck, you're taking their place in line and it's usually based on engine type. The more I think about it, that time line makes sense. The dealer was either going to build one for their stock or someone else canceled which is why the timeline is so quick. Your truck will not be built in April but likely early May. They should be able to give you a build sheet once it's confirmed with preliminary dates.

joeg679 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 01:25 PM
Three Wheeling

You can make changes on someone else's build if you inherited it. You're not inherting their truck, you're taking their place in line and it's usually based on engine type. The more I think about it, that time line makes sense. The dealer was either going to build one for their stock or someone else canceled which is why the timeline is so quick. Your truck will not be built in April but likely early May. They should be able to give you a build sheet once it's confirmed with preliminary dates.
Thanks for the info! Sorry for any stupid questions, but why do you think it won't be built in April and if it's in May, do you think July is a good estimate for delivery?

EasternShoreDefender (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by joeg679
Thanks for the info! Sorry for any stupid questions, but why do you think it won't be built in April and if it's in May, do you think July is a good estimate for delivery?
Not a stupid question. The factory needs around 5 weeks from your last date for spec change to build. I imagine it has something to do with planning the line (again, usually engine based I believe) and materials availability. This picture was my build sheet from late last year. Your dealer is probably just using the term "build date" interchangeably with "last date for spec changes." In my experience, dealers know very little about these vehicles, how they're made or where they're made.

Last edited by EasternShoreDefender; 03-27-2023 at 02:42 PM.
joeg679 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Not a stupid question. The factory needs around 5 weeks from your last date for spec change to build it. I imagine it has something to do with planning the line (again, usually engine based I believe) and materials availability. This picture was my build sheet from late last year. Your dealer is probably just using the term "build date" interchangeably with "last date for spec changes." In my experience, Dealers know very little about these vehicles, how they're made or where they're made.

Great info, thanks! Yes, the dealers don't know much. I noted that I wanted the satin wrap and he said they only did that to the Carpathians. Then we started looking online and he found out that they do that on some other colors too.

EasternShoreDefender (03-27-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 10:51 AM
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I can't speak to your specific situation but I did take delivery of mine last week with my order placed in April of last year. My dealer said lead times are half of what they were this time last year and orders placed now will be delivered this summer. They couldn't give specific reasons but my guess is the initial demand surge in orders for the new model have diminished and production has increased.

Some options are still constrained and only available on higher level trim models so keep that in mind. Also, what is constrained at time of order could be different at time of production so some options could fall off with little to no warning and if an option you want is currently constrained but becomes available you need to make sure your dealer knows that and can add it back before the cut off.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you! I actually just got the build sheet from the dealer, so it looks like it'll be built in may and here in July.

EasternShoreDefender (03-28-2023)