2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 07:18 AM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

I ordered at MSRP, no extras from JLR Darien. I am expecting (hoping????) to pick it up this week. Ordered in August. P300 90 S

The following users liked this post:
MattF (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 11:47 AM
Winching
Received 226 Likes on 163 Posts

Look and call around. There are plenty of dealers who would gladly sell you one with zero markup. I bought a 2020 Defender and received $2000 off MSRP. Unfortunately it got totaled when a tow truck rammed into it. I ordered a 2022 V8 Carpathian Edition and paid MSRP with no markup and ordered another P400 X Dynamic and also paid MSRP. There is no point paying any markup especially nowadays with a softening economy where used car prices are going down every day. You just have to be patient and shop around.

The following users liked this post:
Defenerauug (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 01:17 PM
Mudding
Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by M.C. Shirt
I'm looking to order a new 110 too. I'm in NY state, and I've spoken to LR Manhattan, LR Mt. Kisco, and LR Albany. All are quoting strait MSRP. Deposits are ranging from zero to $5000, but no markups. I'll probably check a few more and also verify that there aren't any mandatory fees (paint protection, security fees, etc.) before I pull the trigger with any of them.
Originally Posted by MattF
purchased mine from LR Mt. Kisco… MSRP

happy to connect you with my sales person
And if you go with JLR Manhattan, I'm happy to connect you with the sales person I worked with, who was excellent. They didn't take a deposit from me, held to the price quoted, and I had mine in under 3 months (though that was 2021).

The following 2 users liked this post by D-Fens:
ficklma1 (12-21-2022), Parkstr8 (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 04:04 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know any good dealers anywhere on the west coast...as far over as SLC or Vegas? I only want MSRP...lol. I had to go to SLC for my 2022 GC Summit Reserve. But it was a nice 1.5 day drive back...and break in.

thx!

Old 12-22-2022, 07:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by v35
I haven't had any luck finding dealers in Southern California with no mark-up. The mark-ups range from $5k-20k depending on the model. North Scottsdale was helpful and will sell without mark-up but 12-18 month wait time and they can't sell outside of their region anymore as per LR Corporate.
This surprises me - both the wait (although I bought a full-blown 110X) and not selling out of region - they had no problem selling to me - they gave me a 90 day AZ temp tag and said "have fun; here's what you'll need in WA to register it there". I placed deposit somewhere around June 5th, changed from a 110 X-Dynamic on June 30th to make sure I got the things I wanted without the factory downgrading me, got a confirmed build from the factory (well got it from the sales person - not sure if there was a day or two delay) on July 14th, and then confirmation it was completed built on Sept 1st. Then we played the waiting game of getting it on a train from the factory to the shipping port, waiting to get on a ship, the Queen died, and it arrived in Los Angeles around ... maybe the week after turkey day? It was ready at the dealer for me the 1st week of December.

Of course, YMMV depending on what you're trying to order (upgrading from an X-Dynamic to an X got my slot and order accepted nearly immediately), what factory delays look like now, and the fact that this was the *fifth* vehicle I've purchased from that dealership. So they were happy for a repeat customer.

Anyways - I PM'd you (finally logged back in) my salesperson info. Maybe he can help. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2022, 12:06 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Just ordered from North Haven, CT this morning.
Fairfield dealer could not understand why I would not want the "protection package" or the "theft deterrent" for an extra $900 added to the PO?!?

The following 2 users liked this post by ZL1Ragtop:
jusmax88 (12-23-2022), MattF (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 12:25 PM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Ragtop
Just ordered from North Haven, CT this morning.
Fairfield dealer could not understand why I would not want the "protection package" or the "theft deterrent" for an extra $900 added to the PO?!?
I spoke to LR North Haven this morning. They said they would require two additional purchases - $995 for ResistAll interior treatment and another $995 for an anti-theft transponder. And they want to charge a $699 documnet fee where NY state is capped at $175.

I also spoke to LR Darien, and they are requiring that all orders include some of the packs, like Cold Weather, Interior Protection/Storage, Wheel Protection, and the Emergency Pack (if you can believe that!). These must be high profit add-ons for the dealer.

Needless to say - No thanks to either.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:25 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

I spoke to LR North Haven this morning. They said they would require two additional purchases - $995 for ResistAll interior treatment and another $995 for an anti-theft transponder. And they want to charge a $699 documnet fee where NY state is capped at $175.

I also spoke to LR Darien, and they are requiring that all orders include some of the packs, like Cold Weather, Interior Protection/Storage, Wheel Protection, and the Emergency Pack (if you can believe that!). These must be high profit add-ons for the dealer.

Needless to say - No thanks to either.
ask for Brittney at MT Kisco NY LR… no shenanigans etc. let her know I sent you.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:29 PM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
ask for Brittney at MT Kisco NY LR… no shenanigans etc. let her know I sent you.
Thanks. I've ben working with Doug at Mt Kisco. As you said, no shenanigans from them, but they do want $5k for a deposit, where I've found a few dealers that only want $1k.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:37 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

Thanks. I've ben working with Doug at Mt Kisco. As you said, no shenanigans from them, but they do want $5k for a deposit, where I've found a few dealers that only want $1k.
my deposit was $2k …. It’s refundable

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?