Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 06:39 AM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Where?

Originally Posted by gts944
Who is paying for mark ups on non-limited run vehicles at this point? I test drove something last weekend. Full lot. I was apparently the third person that visited all day with five sales people standing around looking bored. Yes, I saw vehicles with markups on the window but is anyone still paying for it? Seems that demand destruction has started.
curious to know where dealers have full lots? My dealers aren’t charging markups but they have no inventory - at least not for RR, RRS and Defender.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

863 available in the US. Not sure what kind of pita it is to transfer, so the number is likely limited to your locale. Link. Possibly some of those are already spoke for and some Dealers likely troll the inventory. But it's still a lot more than last year.

My other random, non-scientific measure is Carmax's inventory. It used to be luck if they showed 2-4. Currently 16. Link. Not a lot of scientific research data, but it feels like there's more available to me. But, I'm sure there are locations with more/less than others.

The following users liked this post:
MattF (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:03 AM
Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
863 available in the US. Not sure what kind of pita it is to transfer, so the number is likely limited to your locale. Link. Possibly some of those are already spoke for and some Dealers likely troll the inventory. But it's still a lot more than last year.

My other random, non-scientific measure is Carmax's inventory. It used to be luck if they showed 2-4. Currently 16. Link. Not a lot of scientific research data, but it feels like there's more available to me. But, I'm sure there are locations with more/less than others.
Land Rover locked dealers (and in effect its customers) into only selling vehicles to people in certain geographic areas. I believe that exacerbates the problem for Defenders because customers have no recourse so if you want one you have limited choices, dealers can charge what they want. However I think mark ups should be more rare at this point. I would fight tooth and nail to prevent them from putting a $2k "paint protection" package on. I'd sooner give them the $2k to leave it alone. Hopefully someone can negotiate $2k worth of other stuff I lieu of a crappy $2k wax job.

Last edited by EasternShoreDefender; 11-30-2022 at 08:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by EasternShoreDefender:
ficklma1 (11-30-2022), MAPC (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:25 AM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Spoken for?

Originally Posted by GrouseK9

Most new vehicles that are shown as in inventory are typically already spoken for (custom orders, etc) so I doubt that the majority of the 863 are really available....HOWEVER...your CarMax stat is perhaps more telling that vehicles MAY be slightly less difficult to get.

I do think/hope that the days of big markups are over but I still think that inventory will be tight for a bit....particularly as rumor is that factory is focusing on 130's right now, making 110's and 90's more difficult to come by.

Time will tell!

The following 2 users liked this post by MAPC:
EasternShoreDefender (11-30-2022), SoCalDef (12-01-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I ordered my p400 110 back in June with a 5k mark up and no deposit. The dealer told me if by the time the vehicle gets delivered and they aren't doing markups anymore it would be taken off. We'll see when i pick her up in January.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Guess what he's gonna say....
lol
Fingers crossed

The following 3 users liked this post by evomind:
EasternShoreDefender (11-30-2022), jusmax88 (12-20-2022), MAPC (11-30-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
Got mine in Boston metro back in July at MSRP...$59,715 sitting on the lot.

Didn't like paying full MSRP but feels like a steal now.
Hi, New to the site, and saw your from Boston area. Was wondering what dealer you dealt with? I ordered from Norwood on 9/04/2022. I have yet to get any confirmation and seem to be floating in the pool with other orders. No word or real information from dealer other than saying spring delivery. I don't feel very reassured by just the salesmans word and would feel better with some written confirmation from Corporate. I also have an open line with a salesman at Boston LR, who has kept me informed on arriving dealer stock, none of which has been close to what I ordered, and not yet ready to give up on my dream 90. Also talked with Sudbury and Hanover but would not budge on Dealer Market adjustment or crazy dealer added options. Thanks for any input.

Old 12-20-2022, 11:41 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still searching around for a 110 X...quite a few on Autotrader. Here in Bellevue, WA the dealer is adding 15k - the 6 cyl. I could MAYBE understand trying for the V8 - but not the 6. Luckily there are more on the west coast...but even the 2 big dealers in Los Angeles (my other home) have added a few K to their prices.

I'm not in ANY hurry...so we'll see. Worst case I'll wait a little longer till rates change, and we see how inventories go. I have had over 70 cars and only 1x paid over sticker - that was for a 2008 GC SRT8 - and even then it was only 2k. If i have to find a dealer that will do MSRP and order, I'll do that.

lol

Old 12-20-2022, 01:22 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I snagged my 2023.5 110 V8 no markup. Call around to verify a no mark-up shop - you can always start with a deposit and order. There are local dealers here that charge $25k over for v8s and $15 over for V6s.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Parkstr8
I'm still searching around for a 110 X...quite a few on Autotrader. Here in Bellevue, WA the dealer is adding 15k - the 6 cyl. I could MAYBE understand trying for the V8 - but not the 6. Luckily there are more on the west coast...but even the 2 big dealers in Los Angeles (my other home) have added a few K to their prices.

I'm not in ANY hurry...so we'll see. Worst case I'll wait a little longer till rates change, and we see how inventories go. I have had over 70 cars and only 1x paid over sticker - that was for a 2008 GC SRT8 - and even then it was only 2k. If i have to find a dealer that will do MSRP and order, I'll do that.

lol
I believe Sewell North Austin is not doing markups with 1k deposit for orders. My buddy just took delivery of his (10 months) and that was his experience.

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?