2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 05:32 PM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I ordered a 110-X last week in Orange County, CA for msrp, in writing. Build was confirmed this week to be built April 14, for a June delivery. Dealer was good to deal with, and he knows I'll walk away for a dollar over sticker.

The following 2 users liked this post by sarj:
ficklma1 (02-25-2023), WAFOX (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I likely had the same dealer as @AustinFCfan (Boy I'm jealous if you got stadium tix, I'm still on the "wait list"!!). I didn't have any markup either. All they did was bent me over on the labor to put on the things I assumed were installed at the manufacturer. Pro-tip here: when the options list says "Dealer installed", think HARD if you want their markup and have a pre-negotiated price for it.
You have nailed that statement regarding dealer installed options.

I just ordered my 2023 Defender 90 in August 2022 from land rover Austin and just received a call this week that my production order is being entered for a June 2023 delivery.

I simply wanted the front skid plate and that required buying the Urban Pack for $1600. Their stupid Service department then said they wanted nearly $2000 in additional labor to install the front skid plate and rear bumper metal protective strip.

If you can believe it, they then quoted $7000 parts and labor to simply sell and install the $1000 A-frame brush guard.

In response, I told them to remove both from the production order, and I would order them from one of the many Land Rover online part discounters, such as Land Rover, Cary, NC and have my local exotic car dealer install them. My LR dealer charges $210/hour for labor — complete rip off. 😝

It’s this kind of shenanigans between the parts, service, and sales departments that make how are ownership such a nightmare. 😂

We had one prior Range Rover 20+ years ago and swore we would never buy another LR product again because of quality issues and dealer run around. I hope I am not heading down the same path two decades later. 🤞🏻

The following users liked this post:
pkerrin (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I likely had the same dealer as @AustinFCfan (Boy I'm jealous if you got stadium tix, I'm still on the "wait list"!!). I didn't have any markup either. All they did was bent me over on the labor to put on the things I assumed were installed at the manufacturer. Pro-tip here: when the options list says "Dealer installed", think HARD if you want their markup and have a pre-negotiated price for it.

I just ordered my 2023 Defender 90 in August 2022 from Land Rover Austin (sticker price, no markups) and just received a call this week that my production order is being entered for a June 2023 delivery.

I simply wanted the front skid plate and that required buying the Urban Pack for $1600. Their stupid Service department then said they wanted nearly $2000 in additional labor to install the front skid plate and rear bumper metal protective strip.

If you can believe it, they then quoted $7000 parts and labor to simply sell and install the $1000 A-frame brush guard.

In response, I told them to remove both from the production order, and I would order them from one of the many Land Rover online part discounters, such as Land Rover, Cary, NC and have my local exotic car dealer install them. My LR dealer charges $210/hour for labor — complete rip off. 😝

It’s this kind of shenanigans between the parts, service, and sales departments that make how are ownership such a nightmare. 😂

We had one prior Range Rover 20+ years ago and swore we would never buy another LR product again because of quality issues and dealer run around. I hope I am not heading down the same path two decades later. 🤞🏻

WAFOX (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 12:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sarj
I ordered a 110-X last week in Orange County, CA for msrp, in writing. Build was confirmed this week to be built April 14, for a June delivery. Dealer was good to deal with, and he knows I'll walk away for a dollar over sticker.
I ordered my Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE 2 days ago from Pasadena. My build date is also April 14, so our cars may be on the same boat 😂

WAFOX (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 05:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasDefender

I just ordered my 2023 Defender 90 in August 2022 from Land Rover Austin (sticker price, no markups) and just received a call this week that my production order is being entered for a June 2023 delivery.

It’s this kind of shenanigans...
VERY similar situation, my D90S build date is 12-April and I wanted to get "front and rear skid plates" to match the Carpathian Grey and Narvik Black theme - satin black instead of the default. Are you after black or "bright"?

There is a 9 piece set on eBay, unfortunately only available "direct from China" ATM. It let's you replace the entire front and rear bumpers (which are called "skidpans", almost certain) with satin black. Around $850 if you look beyond the first few for $999 or even $1049.

I figured they were $250 each by looking at the "Extended! Black" theme pack on the X or V8 models, and port installed for $500 and I would be done with it. It is possible that there is a third part, the "Loadspace trim" that sites right inside the rear door. That is $160.

My dealer here claims not to be able to find the parts (or part numbers specifically for the Narvik Black pair). I told them to take those off my order.

Last edited by Ratledge; 02-26-2023 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

I have ordered some exterior trim parts from this company in the UK: https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...-defender.html

Easy to work with but the only downside is that you may need to pay a customs/duty/tax import fee.

ficklma1 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 12:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I have ordered some exterior trim parts from this company in the UK: https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...-defender.html

Easy to work with but the only downside is that you may need to pay a customs/duty/tax import fee.
Agreed, both reasonable and diverse stuff - LR NAS OEM and 3rd party.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by yangpei
I ordered a Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE yesterday in Pasadena and was told it would be sold at MSRP. It doesn't seem like they are marking up Defenders currently, but do add "premium" accessories like paint protection, side steps / running boards, and digital license plates to stock cars.
Aren't all license plates digital, or at least Alphanumeric? An analog plate would have a needle pointing to different numbers.

GavinC (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 08:44 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Aren't all license plates digital, or at least Alphanumeric? An analog plate would have a needle pointing to different numbers.
My curiosity kicked in and I needed to find out more on these ‘digital’ license plates. Read on:Unlike traditional metal plates that are typically issued at the DMV, drivers are limited to just one purchasing option for digital plates: Reviver, the sole company that manufactures and distributes the new street legal plates. On Reviver’s website, at reviver.com/rplate, drivers can also choose the option to self-install their new plates, or pay an additional $150 for professional installation.

Aside from being visually aesthetic — and perhaps even the holy grail to drivers who have been forced to sit in agonizingly long lines at the DMV — supporters laud the plates’ safety mechanisms.

The digital plates will be able to display different emergency messages, such as if a vehicle is stolen, or if there’s a local Amber Alert. The plates will also have built-in tracking abilities to help locate stolen cars. Wilson said drivers with privacy concerns will be able to disable the feature on their personal vehicles.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Defender Order Update From JLR Mt Kisco

My car just got in - 2023 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE - I ordered on 1/6/23. I am out of town so have not been able to see it but will pick it up next week. They have stayed true to the MSRP but I did see 2 charges thay they added: 1) Appearance Protection, 2) Dent Protection Both priced at $639, not sure what this is? I will inquire before I pick up the vehicle but has anyone else seen this?

Royalist (03-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?