Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 06:35 PM
Drifting
Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenac
The black one is used also has a few scratches. I attempted to get them to drop but they wouldn't go below 160k so we walked. Apparently they are selling them very well at 100k markups. They also do not have any more allocations for the year according to them. I might just wait a few years and pick one up for 60k used after someone eats +100K on them lol.... Bummer because I need an off roader for some hobbies, I guess Bronco here I come...
I ordered a Bronco, and it still hasn’t been built. Day 1 reservation. No expectation of it being built even this year. Had the defender ordered and built instead. My wife is taking over the Bronco order.

I had my issues with the dealership, but in the end I paid MSRP. They did hose me on “kahu” which is rebranded LoJack. But they said if I didn’t want it, in essence it was a deal breaker. So nickel and dimed, but still MSRP. But only because I had my signed order from them, since one of their managers tried to add $30k “market adjustment” to my order.

Ya they charge a lot, but they are apparently moving their inventory. And I didn’t really have any issues with them in the end. But for $100k over sticker? Hell no.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

...Bummer because I need an off roader for some hobbies, I guess Bronco here I come...
They completely closed the order book for Broncos so they can catch up with their cluster-f**k of an order system To give you an idea, we've had ours in the driveway for over a month and I just got this email.

When they start taking orders again, they're going to switch to a 2022 1/2 with another price increase,

There are thousands of them built and waiting parts at their assembly plant. If something is missing, it gets built without and then dumped into the lot while the assembly line goes on. Some have waited up to 6 months for chips, airbags, whatever to complete their build. Dirt Mountain became Ice Mountain which just became Spring Mountain.

Ours arrived at the dealership with 13 miles on it. It had a bad airbag. We were told we were #600-something in line to get the part behind people who were already 4 months into the wait. Thankfully our dealer used one of their extremely limited emergency part orders. After the airbag is fixed, we go to pick it up and the GOAT modes were disconnected. Standard RWD only. The wireless charger was not connected, there was an interior trim piece just straight-up missing, and all the fuses were completely loose under the hood. As in, they just set them in place and didn't push them in at all.
​​​​​​
I decided to also check the interior fuses. The book shows them in the glove box. It's like 6 degrees out at night and I'm cussing up a storm because I can not find them. Surprise! They're actually under the steering wheel.

After all this, my son absolutely loves the truck He's just so grateful to have it. We got all the issues sorted out and added some accessories. The Bimini top is my favorite. So much fun with the top down, no wind, and actual shade in a convertible. As a teenage boy, the Bronco is perfect for him. I'm an old man and it would lose its charm in less than 2 weeks. It's rough, rattles like a can fill of bean bags, and the back door/top setup would be absolute torture on my Costco runs (I told you I'm an old man).
​​​​​
If you order the Ford, just be prepared for an exponentially worse experience than anything JLR could throw at you. But it might be worth it.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 03-21-2022 at 07:41 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (03-21-2022), GrouseK9 (03-22-2022), mopadzi (04-27-2022), Tenac (03-22-2022), Xm83 (04-27-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@Xm83 - PLEASE start outing the Dealers who shove "Kahu" into the Defender and extort customers for it. This is COMPLETE crap as it is redundant to the features that come native. I have yet to hear of one feature that doesn't come with the first two years of JLR ownership. I LOVE my Defender and love the heritage of JLR, but I don't mind cranking on them when there's a miss. This is NOT one of those. They nailed it and for the Dealer to do this, I sincerely hope that they are outed for these practices. This is the WORSE of how Dealers work and for it to show up on JLR's is really shameful. PLEASE post who the Dealer is. @The Insider - log in as a different username if you have to and PLEASE let us know where to file complaints about Dealership practices. If this is "OK" to JLR, just ignore it. Or if JLR-USA is a different entity, I get it.

@_Allegedly - I have a buddy who owns ~9 Ford Dealerships. Yeah, he is "well off" and I wish he had eligible daughters. Heck, I could maybe contemplate gay sons for that kind of money! Hey, I'm trying to be open-minded. But, I digress. He told me that Ford came in recently and just cleared their build books. They had something like 9,000 vehicles on order and they just said "sorry, we're not building as much as we originally planned. You get 3,000". It was up to them to figure out who was fornicated.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
jfreez (07-09-2022), mopadzi (04-27-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 07:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@Xm83 - PLEASE start outing the Dealers who shove "Kahu" into the Defender and extort customers for it. This is COMPLETE crap as it is redundant to the features that come native. I have yet to hear of one feature that doesn't come with the first two years of JLR ownership. I LOVE my Defender and love the heritage of JLR, but I don't mind cranking on them when there's a miss. This is NOT one of those. They nailed it and for the Dealer to do this, I sincerely hope that they are outed for these practices. This is the WORSE of how Dealers work and for it to show up on JLR's is really shameful. PLEASE post who the Dealer is. @The Insider - log in as a different username if you have to and PLEASE let us know where to file complaints about Dealership practices. If this is "OK" to JLR, just ignore it. Or if JLR-USA is a different entity, I get it.

@_Allegedly - I have a buddy who owns ~9 Ford Dealerships. Yeah, he is "well off" and I wish he had eligible daughters. Heck, I could maybe contemplate gay sons for that kind of money! Hey, I'm trying to be open-minded. But, I digress. He told me that Ford came in recently and just cleared their build books. They had something like 9,000 vehicles on order and they just said "sorry, we're not building as much as we originally planned. You get 3,000". It was up to them to figure out who was fornicated.

I don’t think this is “outing them”, since they posted the price on their vehicle. I saw this when I went in for something unrelated.

it’s already been “outed” a few posts above.

just thought it fit in this thread.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Ah, thanks. I thought it was a different dealer. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:29 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xm83
I ordered a Bronco, and it still hasn’t been built. Day 1 reservation. No expectation of it being built even this year. Had the defender ordered and built instead. My wife is taking over the Bronco order.

I had my issues with the dealership, but in the end I paid MSRP. They did hose me on “kahu” which is rebranded LoJack. But they said if I didn’t want it, in essence it was a deal breaker. So nickel and dimed, but still MSRP. But only because I had my signed order from them, since one of their managers tried to add $30k “market adjustment” to my order.

Ya they charge a lot, but they are apparently moving their inventory. And I didn’t really have any issues with them in the end. But for $100k over sticker? Hell no.

I wish I could just get a dang allocation I don't mind waiting. I been seeing the used Bronco market coming down been tracking one with a dealer that is now 5k down but still just under MSRP, going to look at it this weekend. I have bought many vehicles from that dealership chain there in Arrowhead, 5 BMW's in last 3 years and still can't get them to work with me. lol The kahu is a joke, and if you do a bit of research its 250 installed by an aftermarket stereo installer and they charge between 599 and 899 so far what I have seen. Kinda a joke.

The following users liked this post:
Xm83 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewjlove
Not off the lot but in May we ordered a fully loaded 110 with a sticker of 82k. Vehicle showed up in 3 months and we paid MSRP. No markup.

Pasadena Land Rover. Sam there is awesome.
Would you happen to know if Sam at Pasadena still works there? Trying to custom build a 110 right now and so far the only SoCal dealer i've spoken with is giving a markup of $15k over MSRP

Old 04-26-2022, 11:49 PM
Overlanding

Is the dealer that you had a build in with that offered you MSRP a SoCal dealer by any chance?

Old 04-26-2022, 11:53 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ponder
I have a build in with my local dealer, and they are quoting MRSP to me.
However I went to another local Dealer (Los Angeles) and seems like they have two Model S's, both around $66K, but are selling for $97K with a 30K markup on them. For a base S, that seems a bit outrageous, but as I was taking photos there was an individual there test driving it and considering it.

Is the dealer that you had a build in with that offered you MSRP a SoCal dealer by any chance?

Old 04-27-2022, 05:09 AM
Drifting

I wish I could just get a dang allocation I don't mind waiting. I been seeing the used Bronco market coming down been tracking one with a dealer that is now 5k down but still just under MSRP, going to look at it this weekend. I have bought many vehicles from that dealership chain there in Arrowhead, 5 BMW's in last 3 years and still can't get them to work with me. lol The kahu is a joke, and if you do a bit of research its 250 installed by an aftermarket stereo installer and they charge between 599 and 899 so far what I have seen. Kinda a joke.
kahu is a complete rip off. But for me they knew I had already signed everything, so they couldn’t charge the extra $30,000 over MSRP (they tried). So if I backed out of their add ons, the deal falls through and they’d make a much larger profit. I accepted it after fighting, rather than lose the deal completely. Arrowhead is ridiculous. I only go to Scottsdale now, far superior in my experiences. Arrowhead did offer to buy it back from me when I stopped in recently, for more than I paid them for it 4 months ago.

Side note, I went in to Ford to ask about my Bronco reservation. Their eyes about popped out of their heads when I said I was at over 600 days now. Boiled down to since I have a tow package on it, Ford isn’t even making them right now. My wife and I won’t budge on the build, so we will wait. The visit ended with me showing the salesperson around my defender and selling him on it. He asked to look inside and get a tour, etc.

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?