Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rangebros
3 months is pretty quick. Was it an existing order that they were able to amend?
not 100% certain but the order was to our exact specifications.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:07 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewjlove
not 100% certain but the order was to our exact specifications.
That's great. I may have to contact Pasadena. I haven't had a good experience with most of the dealers I've been speaking with so far.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That's great. I may have to contact Pasadena. I haven't had a good experience with most of the dealers I've been speaking with so far.
2 months ago, I was lucky to amend an existing dealer order to my spec. The vehicle was built 9/25 and expected to arrive in Nov. The dealer has my $1k deposit and been communicative. Makes me wonder if they will/can cancel the order and sell it for more than MSRP? or come up with some silly add on expenses?

Old 10-06-2021, 01:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lutfy
2 months ago, I was lucky to amend an existing dealer order to my spec. The vehicle was built 9/25 and expected to arrive in Nov. The dealer has my $1k deposit and been communicative. Makes me wonder if they will/can cancel the order and sell it for more than MSRP? or come up with some silly add on expenses?
Did you discuss pricing with them beforehand?

Old 10-06-2021, 02:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha. I started this thread specially because the dealer I checked with was Pasadena.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup! MSRP.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:39 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been trying to find a dealership up and down the west coast that doesn't add a "market adjustment" of at least 10K on a Defender.

Luckily I was able to work with my local dealership here in San Jose and am getting a slightly modified stock order in my name at MSRP. Since it was already built I can only modify port installed options. I did have to compromise a slight bit on the options as it was a stock order I am so thankful I can even find anything at MSRP. Used are all going for above what I'm going to get mine at. I just have to be patient and wait until the end of November.

I sold my Tesla Model X at a slight profit a couple of weeks ago in about 12 hours after posting.. and have been looking around the US at new / used Defenders to see if I can get something sooner but can't come close to the deal I am getting by just waiting.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hoss_vw
I've been trying to find a dealership up and down the west coast that doesn't add a "market adjustment" of at least 10K on a Defender.

Luckily I was able to work with my local dealership here in San Jose and am getting a slightly modified stock order in my name at MSRP. Since it was already built I can only modify port installed options. I did have to compromise a slight bit on the options as it was a stock order I am so thankful I can even find anything at MSRP. Used are all going for above what I'm going to get mine at. I just have to be patient and wait until the end of November.

I sold my Tesla Model X at a slight profit a couple of weeks ago in about 12 hours after posting.. and have been looking around the US at new / used Defenders to see if I can get something sooner but can't come close to the deal I am getting by just waiting.
Same. I've looked all over Southern CA and they all want at least $10-15k markup. It seems I will have to order and wait it out. November is not bad... I'm looking at March of next year.

Old 10-07-2021, 12:29 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm ordering a build, should I expect to pay MSRP? One dealer told me it would be a $5k markup on a build 5 months out. Is that typical?
I specifically asked my sales person when I put my deposit down and he confirmed MSRP... It probably depends on dealer. If there's no contract they can do what ever they want.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,238 Likes on 737 Posts

I likely had the same dealer as @AustinFCfan (Boy I'm jealous if you got stadium tix, I'm still on the "wait list"!!). I didn't have any markup either. All they did was bent me over on the labor to put on the things I assumed were installed at the manufacturer. Pro-tip here: when the options list says "Dealer installed", think HARD if you want their markup and have a pre-negotiated price for it.

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?