2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 11.4" touch screen be retrofitted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 04:48 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, there’s a company in the uk already retrofitting these screens. If you own a dremel you won’t need to buy a new crossbar. Just keep looking for the screen when it ops up on eBay or find a dealership employee discount. Plug in play.

The following users liked this post:
rossco_7 (07-08-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar993
I recently purchased a V8 D90 Carpathian Edition and it too is not coming with the 11.4" screen, which should otherwise be standard in the Carpathian Edition!!!

I'm kind of disappointed about it, and would love to know if it can be retrofitted when the 11.4" displays become available?
Polar993,

That's crazy! Sorry to hear. Can you provide more details? When was/is the build date and when do you expect to be able to pick it up? I ask because my V8 was built on Jan 19 and when the order was confirmed in September all options were listed as available on the "Order Details" sheet. I have yet to hear from the dealer if anything is missing from the order. I wonder if they get an updated spec sheet after its built or if its a wait and see situation.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2022, 11:05 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markjlr
Yes, there’s a company in the uk already retrofitting these screens. If you own a dremel you won’t need to buy a new crossbar. Just keep looking for the screen when it ops up on eBay or find a dealership employee discount. Plug in play.
Which company is this? I had been in contact with Vulkan but they are still prepping their kit.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:21 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2022 Defender 110 has order got 11.4

I am a newbie to this site as I just had delivered a base 110 with 3 options installed. 11.4, clear view mirror and air suspension. My dealer told me that they are now taking orders on 2023 and that he thinks the 11.4 is standard now. Base on this forum it sounds like the 11.4 is in short supply and it is luck of the build if you get on.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:53 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterloo
Polar993,

That's crazy! Sorry to hear. Can you provide more details? When was/is the build date and when do you expect to be able to pick it up? I ask because my V8 was built on Jan 19 and when the order was confirmed in September all options were listed as available on the "Order Details" sheet. I have yet to hear from the dealer if anything is missing from the order. I wonder if they get an updated spec sheet after its built or if its a wait and see situation.

Thanks
I just called and spoke with the Parts Manager at my local Land Rover dealer and he told me that the 11.4" screen is on an "indefinite backorder", with no ETA. This leads me to believe that Defenders currently in production might not be fitted with the 11.4" screens....unless LR is reserving those parts for production vehicles, and not for surplus parts inventory. It really is a crap shoot!

Also, the 11.4" screen costs about $2,200 through the parts dept! Quite pricey! Do you think my dealership will be able to get LR to swap in the larger screen for me when it becomes available?

Another item that my V8 Carpathian Edition 90 didn't come with is the "V8" badging on the lower doors! I checked with the parts dept and those badges cost $122 for each side! Insane!

Old 01-22-2022, 04:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Polar993,

Sorry for pushing but when did you order your V8, when was it built and has it been delivered to you? I reached out to my SA and all he said was "The 11.4” screen was restricted for some time mid-way through last year. But everything we’ve received for the past 6 months or so has had the larger screen, no issue". He didn't answer whether my Jan 19, 2022 build has the 11.4" screen.

Thanks again

Old 01-22-2022, 04:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I've also had a Defender order "in" with a dealer since mid-last year, and they just received allocations for my build about a week and a half ago. I went in and affirmed my build with them, and the suspected happened.

-The '22 model was now a '23, which included a hefty price hike since I wanted the now-defunct X-Dynamic S (essentially the best value build you can spec).
-The price hike was sold to me in part because the X-Dynamic SE option includes a black roof option and a sliding pano roof (which I didn't have on my original build). I also was told I'd get a larger screen, at least, since it was now standard on 2023's. Small victory considering when I first started building out a spec it was a $200-something upgrade, but at time of build in mid-2021 it was no longer an option on the builder. I also wanted the Suedecloth interior in my original build, no longer available for builds.
-Regardless, I placed the order, knowing that these dealers are having a bit of issue getting allocations from JLR. If you wanted a P300 you still don't have an allocation, for example.
-This week I got my build dates, delivery dates, and was told that I'd be receiving my car 10.5 months after placing the original order.
-I was also informed I wouldn't get the larger screen or the clearsight mirror.
-My dealer has actually been incredibly apologetic through this mess and does seem to care. They seem embarrassed, frankly. They've apologized and I do think their hands are tied. No one likes giving crappy news to excited customers.

Last edited by Drewes; 01-22-2022 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zooke (07-10-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 08:01 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Vulkan is the UK company, but they are monetizing an entire kit. Like i said you can buy the screen and dremel it to fit without anyone knowing but most people want the complete perfect oem look which i understand.

the 11.4 Pivi Pro is going in the new fullsize Range Rover so defenders won’t get them until 2023-24 late.

Rancho Mirage and Robin of Duckworth UK parts can get one because they have special connections. Robin in parts has juice. He got me back ordered parts for my 22 p300....

yes it’s pricey. Watch Copart auctions and track which breaker buys one with an 11.4

Old 01-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

11.4 isn't going into new RR, it's 13.1 in the RR. Let's see if we can retrofit that into a defender.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yulongtd6:
Ericlockheed (02-08-2022), markjlr (02-08-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 12:58 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ammonation
Wonder if we can retrofit the interactive display for the analog display once they become available new or from a salvaged unit. It seems like a standard Jaguar/Land Rover part.
Ever get any info on this? Curious about the same thing... Mine is coming with the analog display and I for sure want to retrofit in the interactive display...

Quick Reply: Can a 11.4" touch screen be retrofitted?