2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 11.4" touch screen be retrofitted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 03:21 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, and I have that system and do the programming for a fee in person in Southern California. Cheers. There are shops on the east coast and in the UK as well. I was just pointing out that it's much cheaper than Vulcan's price.

Originally Posted by Ludders54
Mark, from my recollection - it has to be programmed by JLR’s Pathfinder system 😞

The following users liked this post:
Zooke (07-10-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 03:31 PM
Mudding
Received 145 Likes on 62 Posts

👍🏼 ….and you have nicer weather too 😎

Old 03-24-2023, 11:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
I look forward to completely overpaying for this upgrade / modification in the future on my X !!! (there is basically a 100% chance when parts become available that the usual suppliers will offer a retrofit / upgrade kit). It'll be like a new Defender in 2024!
Who are the usual suppliers? I found Vulkan in The UK, but would be nice to have someone in the US - preferably in the NYC area.

Old 03-27-2023, 04:38 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a device from these guys, so far for half a year the radio has been working fine, you can contact them

here

Old 08-20-2023, 04:16 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 11.4” Touch Screen Upgrade after Purchase

Originally Posted by RR2Dfndr
I ordered my Defender last week, and I just got news from the dealer that 11.4 touchscreen is not available at this time (probably due to shortage). Is it possible to retrofit a larger 11.4 touchscreen later after ordering a car with the smaller screen for now.
Yes, it can be done; you just need to get a different connector for the larger screen. I did see an outfit out in the UK where they retrofitted it but it’s just easier to get the standard crossbeam that accommodates the 11.4 inch screen and the wiring harness adapter. Took them all of 30 minutes to uninstall and install the 11.4 inch screen with the new crossbeam.

Old 09-09-2023, 02:35 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

See the thread below for some insight on DIY 11.4” upgrade. It appears as though the Gap IID Tool could be used to do the programming part.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post1006314.html

I think I’ll wait until the 13” screens become available on the used market and then consider tackling a retrofit.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, a Gap iid tool can fix the CCF.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Does anyone know if the 13.1” screen retrofit offered by Hunters Prestige aligns with an official option offered by Land Rover for new Defenders anywhere in the world?

https://huntersprestige.com/products...grade-retrofit

For example, when attempting toi build a 2024 on the Land Rover USA site to get a feel for the screen size options, I didn’t see 13.1” as an option across Defender models and trims.

Alternatively, has Hunters adapted a 13.1” option for another Land Rover vehicle type to the new Defender?

I’m curious because I’d like to eventually consider moving to the 13.1” down the road when second hand units start coming onto the market.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2023, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ckamps
Does anyone know if the 13.1” screen retrofit offered by Hunters Prestige aligns with an official option offered by Land Rover for new Defenders anywhere in the world?

https://huntersprestige.com/products...grade-retrofit

For example, when attempting toi build a 2024 on the Land Rover USA site to get a feel for the screen size options, I didn’t see 13.1” as an option across Defender models and trims.

Alternatively, has Hunters adapted a 13.1” option for another Land Rover vehicle type to the new Defender?

I’m curious because I’d like to eventually consider moving to the 13.1” down the road when second hand units start coming onto the market.

Thanks
it's from range rover.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:27 AM
Drifting

A few more resources that might be useful to people considering either the 11.4” or 13.1” screen retrofits:

11.4” retrofit process overview:

Might be a useful reference for the disassembly process.

Comparison of 10”, 11.4”, and 13.1” screens:

Note the reference to reusing Summer Auto’s proprietary 11.4” bracket in support of the 13.1” screen. Audio was hard for me to follow, but it sounds like some modification of the 11.4” bracket is needed to support the 13.1” screen. It’s also not clear if the mods would apply only to Summer Auto’s proprietary bracket.

Summer Auto’s 11.4” retrofit product:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...696118641.html

(If Chrome takes you to the option to download the mobile app, scroll down, and select continue to the site).

I don’t think I’d actually buy their complete retrofit product given that I might be able to source a larger screen and brackets only my own and would do the coding via my own Gap IID Tool, but it might be useful to see the parts they’ve included in it. E.g. the adapter cable and extent of mounting trim pieces.

I have not yet noticed that Summer Auto is formally offering the 13.1” retrofit as a product even though the second video referenced above includes the 13.1” screen.

It’s not yet clear to me if using the Gap IID Tool’s access to the 11.4” screen setting would apply to the 13.1” screen. In other words, I wonder if the 11.4” -> 13.1” retrofit doesn’t end up changing the resolution. (I had a similar experience retrofitting a Golf MK7 screens in that retrofitting didn’t provide a corresponding increase in resolution. Still a useful upgrade for me, but not ideal.)

For the 11.4” retrofit, the Summer Auto videos don’t mention needing to either modify or replace the top trim piece that spans the dashboard. Nor do they mention using a different bottom companion across the dash trim piece. However, an older Vulcan video (now Hunters Prestige?) mentions the former. Perhaps Summer’s proprietary bracket avoids the need to modify or replace the dashboard trim pieces. I might contact them to learn more about those aspects and to see if they would sell components individually. E.g. Cable adapter and trim pieces only.

Last edited by ckamps; 09-10-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Can a 11.4" touch screen be retrofitted?