2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you manually lock the locking diffs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 06:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Defendit..
This reduces fuel consumption and co2 with a whopping 1,7%

Wow… I mean, every little bit helps, I guess, but that’s not exactly gonna save the planet.

The following users liked this post:
ba_ (02-04-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 08:58 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Defendit..
This reduces fuel consumption and co2 with a whopping 1,7%

These are very interesting diagrams. Are they specifically for Defender after MY19/20? or they are for some other LR / RR vehicles ? would it be possible to share your source of these diagrams? Many thanks.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:37 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Found some explanation:

The intelligent All-Wheel Drive (iAWD) transmission is controlled by Land Rover's Intelligent Driveline Dynamics (IDD) system, which monitors grip levels and driver inputs 100 times per second to predictively distribute torque between the front and rear axles, and across the rear axle, for optimum traction on and off-road.

All-wheel drive is always connected when driving off-road, pulling away from a standstill, in cold weather (below three degrees Celsius) and at speeds above 100mph (160km/h), and all New Range Rovers feature a smooth shifting eight-speed automatic gearbox with twin-speed transmission for supreme low-speed control in off-road situations.

The intelligent system optimises efficiency by disconnecting drive to the front axle at speeds above 21mph (35km/h) and up to 100mph (160km/h), which reduces drag losses by 30 per cent and contributes to a reduction in CO2 emissions of up to 4g/km.

The torque-on-demand technology improves handling dynamics and reduces both weight and drag losses compared to a traditional AWD system, yet provides four-wheel drive whenever needed. The system constantly monitors vehicle data to act pre-emptively, so traction is always maintained.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:41 AM
Drifting

Hi, Defendit.
It seems your diagram is about Range Rover.
I looked into the manual of Defender and it seems Defender's transfer box is different.
Check this link out, if you are interested. All the best.

Land Rover Defender - Component Location, Overview - Transfer Case (lrdefender.org)

Old 02-25-2024, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Received 153 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Canglu
Hi, Defendit.
It seems your diagram is about Range Rover.
I looked into the manual of Defender and it seems Defender's transfer box is different.
Check this link out, if you are interested. All the best.

Land Rover Defender - Component Location, Overview - Transfer Case (lrdefender.org)
No, Defendit's info is applicable to the new Defender as well. You're looking at the driveline info for an "older" new Defender :-p LR's info on this is actually amazingly sparse.

You can think of it as an old fashioned 4wd system with no center diff and manually locking hubs only the Defender has automatic hubs and a center clutch controlled by a computer. I see Sarek's advantages but I am still on the fence on this one. I am a tech freak and that is one of the things that drew me to LR (and my involvement with GAP) in the first place. But I am also a big fan of the KISS principle. We'll see how the system holds up under heavier off road use. I will get to see it first hand, as my '23 D250 has this system. If I'd have been given a choice, I'd likely have chosen an old school transfer case with center diff. But.... we shall see.

The following 2 users liked this post by stevemfr:
ba_ (02-25-2024), Can_Glu (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 01:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemfr
If I'd have been given a choice, I'd likely have chosen an old school transfer case with center diff. But.... we shall see.
My other off-roader has an old-OLD-school transfer case with no diff (so for off-road use only); my (old) New Defender with its locking center diff still feels very New School to me!

Old 02-25-2024, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevemfr
No, Defendit's info is applicable to the new Defender as well. You're looking at the driveline info for an "older" new Defender :-p LR's info on this is actually amazingly sparse.

You can think of it as an old fashioned 4wd system with no center diff and manually locking hubs only the Defender has automatic hubs and a center clutch controlled by a computer. I see Sarek's advantages but I am still on the fence on this one. I am a tech freak and that is one of the things that drew me to LR (and my involvement with GAP) in the first place. But I am also a big fan of the KISS principle. We'll see how the system holds up under heavier off road use. I will get to see it first hand, as my '23 D250 has this system. If I'd have been given a choice, I'd likely have chosen an old school transfer case with center diff. But.... we shall see.
Nice we have a confirmation of the newer system, and better yet, by an owner skeptical about its merit. :-)
I have ordered my MY24 110 p300, but I have to wait till after June to get a picture of the new front axle, new t-case to post here for every one to see.
Do you mind to snap a few pictures of your system to show here, any time of your convenience when possible? Many thanks, by all means.