Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo Space Trunk Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 10:44 AM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cargo Space Trunk Fitment

New to the the site and recently picked up our 2022 Defender.

Like a few other posts, ours has a noise coming from the cargo space. It doesn't sound like metal, but rather a rubbing sound. When I looked under the cargo space cover/lid, the hard black styrofoam appears to be sagging on the driver's back corner. It appears to be 1"-2" lower the the passenger's rear corner and as a result of the sagging, the foam doesn't align with the hard plastic as it should. See the pics (one from the passenger and one from the drivers).

I have the Defender at the dealership to address the noise and showed them foam I have described. They look at two others that are also in the shop and they both had the same issue. Their feedback is that this must be how it is supposed to be. I just can't see that as being correct. Has anyone else noticed this? The gap left from the sagging foam would allow you to drop things deep into the back of the vehicle, is sure to cause noise, etc.

Any input is appreciated.

Foam and plastic molding are fairly flush

Note the 1"-2" gap between the foam and the surrounding plastic molding.

Old 10-05-2021, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Mine had the issue also and although I was chasing down things like that it was the guide on the rear door. Almost every case at least reported here it stemmed from that. I put felt into the inside female of the guide and the weird clicking/creaking sound went away completely.

The following users liked this post:
CurtyJ (02-10-2022)
Old 10-05-2021, 04:19 PM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This is helpful and I will see if the noise is coming from the latch. Thank you!

I am curious though, if you lift the cover (that covers the jack), does the styrofoam insert sit level or does it also have the gap I described? I just can't imagine that the piece is designed to sit in there that way.

Old 10-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jeriddles
This is helpful and I will see if the noise is coming from the latch. Thank you!

I am curious though, if you lift the cover (that covers the jack), does the styrofoam insert sit level or does it also have the gap I described? I just can't imagine that the piece is designed to sit in there that way.
I’ll check that tonight and post pic for comparison.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any update? Mine has that same gap. It would be nice to have something that fit more snug.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:05 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did either of you figure out the styrofoam sag on the back driver side of the insert?

I had no problem until I pulled it out to see if it bought me any more storage space (nope, tons of electronics) and when I put it back in that side sags ( I see no damage to the styrofoam that I created) it needs to rest on something - can't figure out what