2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Clearsight Mirror, yes no maybe so
Yes I have it and love it and use it all the time even when back is clear
44.44%
Yes I have it and like it and use it sometime even when window is not blocked
22.22%
Yes I have it and only use it when the back packing stuff blocks the window.
19.05%
I don't have it and Wish I had it
6.35%
I don't have it and I don't miss it so I wouldn't order even if I could
7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Clearsight Mirror yes, no, maybe so?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 03:56 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Clearsight Mirror yes, no, maybe so?

I have the Clearsight mirror and was excited about it. I have to share that I just can't get use to it and I have only used it when I was loaded in backup blocking vision. What do you have and think? Please only respond if you actually have a defender so this poll is based on first-hand experience.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,396 Likes on 688 Posts

I have Clearsight. Five months ago I backed into my 2nd garage (which has a lower ceiling than the main garage where the Defender parks), and because of backing uphill into it, the rear was a little higher than when pulling in forward. You guessed it -- the sharkfin hit one of the crossbars on the underside of the garage door, very lightly, but busted the camera. I can probably get up there and glue things back together and hopefully it will work. But I haven't gotten around to it yet. And I work on my cars all the time. Just haven't been motivated to mess with it. That's how often I use it.

Seriously, the only times I ever used it were as a parlor trick when somebody new was in the truck.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:51 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdflrd
I have the Clearsight mirror and was excited about it. I have to share that I just can't get use to it and I have only used it when I was loaded in backup blocking vision. What do you have and think? Please only respond if you actually have a defender so this poll is based on first-hand experience.
I have put thousands of miles on Defenders with and without the ClearSight mirror. I can make do with or without it, but whether I would recommend it comes down to personal needs (and whether you wear glasses among other things).

On my personal vehicle I do have and use the ClearSight mirror. However, my use is mostly limited to having a full load of gear or towing. I tend to quickly glance and I'm a bit older now and it takes a split second for my eyes to adjust. I could use it all the time, but I usually don't feel the need to and I rely on my wing/side mirrors. It does give a wider field of view and it does allow you to see things you wouldn't otherwise.

The nice thing about it is you have a choice and when it's turned off it operates as a standard mirror. I wouldn't have an SUV without it now because if I need to fill the boot/trunk to the ceiling with equipment I want that rear visibility. Same for when I'm towing and need a maximum view.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally I like it a lot and think it’s especially helpful at night with visibility even when the rear window isn’t blocked.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 06:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Use it exclusively and love it. Perhaps it's one of my favorite features whether the back is filled to the celling like this past week or not.

Even when the back is clear the camera offers a wider and unfettered view.

I want one for my Jeep.

Yes our kids are back there also....

swajames (02-22-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 07:27 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

If it cost $1000 or more I would not have considered it. For $140, it was a no brainier. The fact you can switch between the two modes by flick of a switch means there’s no down sides whatsoever to having this feature. Similar to Kev above, I went on 1500 mile journey with no view out the back and had it switched on the entire time. When I can see out the back, no need for clear sight.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:05 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

same as Kev. it took a little getting used to, but now i wish all our vehicles had it. and if given the choice i'd never have a vehicle without it. it's basically always clear, no dirty window to worry about. plus it doesn't get dirty like the lower back up camera. it also provides a wider field of view which is helpful for seeing people approaching my blindspots.

Kev M (02-22-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 11:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

Critical on the highway. Dramatically expands field of view. Switch back and forth and see how many fewer cars you can see around you without it. I leave it on all the time just for this. Should be a standard safety feature on a car with such limited visibility with the regular mirror.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tartan:
Kev M (02-22-2022), mopadzi (02-25-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 06:22 AM
Drifting
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Absolutely love it. It’s one of those things I never thought about needing, but after 1+ yrs of use, it’s something I’d want on every vehicle.

The following 2 users liked this post by woo90:
Kev M (02-22-2022), mopadzi (02-25-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 07:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

It's OK, I think there are two things to keep in mind. One your eyes need to refocus going from the road in front of you to the camera, second the field of view is much wider. As a result there is a lot more motion picked up by the camera from cars, roadside buildings, etc. This can be quite distracting.

Elektrapops (02-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Clearsight Mirror yes, no, maybe so?