2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Clearsight Mirror, yes no maybe so
Yes I have it and love it and use it all the time even when back is clear
44.44%
Yes I have it and like it and use it sometime even when window is not blocked
22.22%
Yes I have it and only use it when the back packing stuff blocks the window.
19.05%
I don't have it and Wish I had it
6.35%
I don't have it and I don't miss it so I wouldn't order even if I could
7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Clearsight Mirror yes, no, maybe so?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
Thank you for your excellent explanation. I was going to point out that same logic to those that think glasses make no difference - they do. I can't use the Clearview because it takes my eyes way too long to focus from the long-distance road, to the near mirror-screen, and back to the road.

Spectacle wearers should check out a Clearview before adding it to a build.
Can you use the Pivi-Pro or dash gauges?

For the record I wear contacts most of the time, but glasses sometimes.... still no issue for me. But I realize not everyone's vision is remotely the same. I'm just pointing out that it is more than just glasses or not.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes, of course focus through a mirror is different, but even though I wear progressives, I just have never noticed any difficulty focusing at all. I never liked hud’s because the focusing issue was very noticeable, but clearsight just comes to focus immediately for me, so regardless of the optical realities of mirror vs screen, I just don’t experience any if that as a problem. I’m not saying some others might not experience problems, but I’m not seeing any issues myself, and my 60 year old eyes can’t be all that much better than others here.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 06:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
Can you use the Pivi-Pro or dash gauges?

For the record I wear contacts most of the time, but glasses sometimes.... still no issue for me. But I realize not everyone's vision is remotely the same. I'm just pointing out that it is more than just glasses or not.
You make an interesting point .... My specs are single vision, and I can see HUD and all the digital displays fine, so tomorrow I'll try the clearview again and report back - maybe it's just practise.

Kev M (02-22-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 09:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
You make an interesting point .... My specs are single vision, and I can see HUD and all the digital displays fine, so tomorrow I'll try the clearview again and report back - maybe it's just practise.
Ok, I used the Clearview for a lengthy drive and wearing glasses made my eye strain noticeable enough that I flipped it off for the return journey.

So I needed to work out what my problem was, and on measuring the distances to my eyes, the Clearview is just too near, making it really difficult to focus, and no matter how I squint, the Clearview remains unusable. The dash gauges and the Pivi are both a few inches further away, which doesn't affect me.

Fully realising not every eyewear user is affected in the same way, I would still suggest checking out a Clearview before including it in your build.

The following 2 users liked this post by Elektrapops:
Chief65 (02-27-2022), Kev M (02-28-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

The clearsight mirror along with the 3d camera system and the air suspension are must-have to me as I enjoy them immensely everytime I am driving not sometimes but all the time.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

The ClearSight mirror is good on the daylight - when your rear windshield is blocked by people or objects. During the evenings, the quality is absolutely crap. Check this thread
Would I buy it again if I knew all that ? Yes, it is useful for a daytime drive.
I think JLR cheapened out and put a subpar camera... as they did with the front windshield or other components.
For 26 $ I bought a wireless camera from Walmart which is connected to an old phone near the main radio, and it gives me a near perfect view, much much better than the OEM... Not elegant, but useful.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,356 Likes on 966 Posts

I'm no Señor Spielbergo but the cinematography from the rear camera to my eye is pretty great. Better than a mirror, day or night. I don't have very discerning tastes I guess, and view it as money well spent.

Kev M (02-28-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
The ClearSight mirror is good on the daylight - when your rear windshield is blocked by people or objects. During the evenings, the quality is absolutely crap. Check this thread
Would I buy it again if I knew all that ? Yes, it is useful for a daytime drive.
I think JLR cheapened out and put a subpar camera... as they did with the front windshield or other components.
For 26 $ I bought a wireless camera from Walmart which is connected to an old phone near the main radio, and it gives me a near perfect view, much much better than the OEM... Not elegant, but useful.

I have my d90 since last summer and I drive it day and night in city as well as country on local roads and highways and I haven't experienced the "blown out" fuzzy images that you had. The images are always vibrant and focus with proper exposure.

I wonder if the camera on yours is defective or damaged.

Btw, speaking of the camera lens, for those who need to clean the lens, according to the user manual:

When cleaning the ClearSight rear-view mirror glass, use a paper towel, or similar material, dampened with glass cleaner. Do not spray glass cleaner directly on to the mirror, as that may cause the liquid cleaner to enter the mirror housing and damage the mirror.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:51 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I finally today after a detailed review figured out what I DON'T like about Clearsight. To start with big positives, It has a lot of advantages wider and clearer view of what is going on behind and great vision at night. The number one issue for me that is the reason I don't use it full time is that is visible in my peripheral vision and is very distracting when I am driving. As cars drive past going the opposite direction the mirror picks it up and is constantly making me think that something is about to contact my car. I try and always scan what is around me to be a safe driver and it drives me crazy so I just leave it off. It is so clear and bright that it is giving me a lot more vision of an area that I don't need, what is going on behind me.

Elektrapops (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 215 Likes on 110 Posts

I simply don’t experience the focus issues some seem to have. Clearsight works very well for me. I don’t always use it, but when I do I never notice any usability challenges. For me, it works really well and I am glad I have it.

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
Elektrapops (02-27-2022), Kev M (02-28-2022)