2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Clearsight Mirror, yes no maybe so
Yes I have it and love it and use it all the time even when back is clear
44.44%
Yes I have it and like it and use it sometime even when window is not blocked
22.22%
Yes I have it and only use it when the back packing stuff blocks the window.
19.05%
I don't have it and Wish I had it
6.35%
I don't have it and I don't miss it so I wouldn't order even if I could
7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Clearsight Mirror yes, no, maybe so?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:14 AM
Mudding
Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

When I first got my X a month ago I didn't like it at all. Fast forward to today and it's all I use. You get used to it fast.. and it's great. Your eye focusing WILL eventually get used to it, even if you wear corrective eyewear like I do.
Also just a sidenote.. the camera is actually pretty good quality. It uses a high dynamic range filter of some sort, at night the lights are not blown out like a regular camera would show. Very impressed!

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 10:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,312 Likes on 953 Posts

I'm a big fan. Use it as default.

On the purported issue folks with glasses report having difficulty focusing on it if.

Just an idea, but changing the angle of the mirror from that which would be used if using it as a regular mirror will deflect any light away from the driver's eye. This allows the camera image to be easier to focus on. I don't have glasses so am not sure it will make any difference. Just an idea. Like light from a window hitting a TV screen. The eye might focus on the reflection rather than the TV itself. Change where you sit and the reflection is gone. Moving the mirror does the same thing.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Wish I had it on ours, and you're lucky if you have it now. LR put vehicles with that option in holding pool or removed the option completely due to "SuPpLy ChAiN iSsUeS aNd cHiP sHoRtAgEs."

Kev M (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 11:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I love my 2021 Pangea steelie P300, I don't have clearsight, but desperately want it We don't have cross bars or a roof rack, so we put out surfboards in the the back when traveling and they block they rearview mirror.

I thought clearsight was standard, so when we found a car at a dealership, I just bought it without checking. I drove from Raliegh to New Orleans trying to figure out how to turn clearsight on. Imagine my disappointment.

It's still a bummer.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I have progressive glasses and don’t understand the complaints of focusing on the clearsight mirror at all. I never even thought that was an issue at all until I read it here, and still don’t see how it’s an issue when the picture is no different in terms of focus as what you see in the regular mirror. Either way your eyes need to focus on the surface of the mirror. Maybe the frame rate might be an issue, but other than making led headlights blink, I don’t see that as an issue either. If you can focus on a regular mirror, you shouldn’t have a problem with the clearsight.

Kev M (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 12:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Here’s the issue with focus:

With a conventional mirror (all mirrors work this way) the distance from your eye to the object you’re looking at is the sum of the distance from your eye to the mirror and from the mirror to the object. So if there’s something 50 feet behind you and the mirror is 2 feet in front of your eyes, the focal distance is 52 feet, which is effectively infinity as far as your eyes are concerned. This is true whether you wear glasses or don’t; it’s true if you use a camera to take a picture in a mirror. Old SLRs (pre-autofocus days) had a scale marked on the lens with distances to the subject, and you could focus on something that is 40 feet away when the mirror is a couple feet in front of you, and you’d see that the distance on the lens would show 40’ when the subject was in focus.

So… with 20, 30, 40 years of driving you have trained your eyes that when you glance at a RVM they need to stay in “infinity focus” setting, as they have been when you were staring ahead out the windshield. No change. Very convenient.

But along comes an electronic screen RVM. With screens it’s not the same; focal distance is the measure from your eyes to the screen. You don’t change focus of your eyes when you are watching TV or a computer screen, whether they are showing a shot of the moon or a circuit board two feet from the camera. It’s all the same to your eyes, which focus on the screen.

Soooo, out of habit we all look at the screen initially with infinity focus, and it’s blurry, and we have to refocus our eyes to 2-feet. You can retrain your eyes to always shift from infinity to 2’ focus when you look from the cars in front of you to the screen, but then you’ve got the same problem any time you drive your other car(s), only in reverse.

Because I tend to make quick lane-changes with only a glance in the mirror as I’m starting to yank the wheel, I find it disconcerting to not have instant focus on the cars behind me, so I don’t use Clearview as a rule.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 02-22-2022 at 12:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
Elektrapops (02-22-2022), MattF (02-22-2022), Muppetry (02-22-2022), W1NGMAN (02-27-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 12:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,256 Likes on 747 Posts

I think @NoGaBiker nailed all of the same thoughts I would have. The difference is that my Defender was screwed out of the ClearView so I added a "redneck" version. I got an aftermarket mirror/dashcam that comes with a reverse camera. I've had it temporarily set up and find the same conclusions that he does. But, I like it due to the very limited rearview that the Defender has. Very narrow. It works for me. I get used to it and understand the limitations. At the end of the day, the normal mirror view is much worse - not that it is a great tech. I plan to post more and pics after I re-route the wires and connect the power supply to a PowerfulUk adaptor. Maybe within the next couple weeks I'll post pics and details.

The weird thing about my "poor man's ClearView" is that it actually works both ways that @NoGaBiker describes. If I don't change my focal image I can actually see thru the video as a mirror. It's strange to describe, but it works. Kind of like seeing thru a one-way mirror if close.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

With a conventional mirror (all mirrors work this way) the distance from your eye to the object you’re looking at is the sum of the distance from your eye to the mirror and from the mirror to the object. So if there’s something 50 feet behind you and the mirror is 2 feet in front of your eyes, the focal distance is 52 feet, which is effectively infinity as far as your eyes are concerned. This is true whether you wear glasses or don’t; it’s true if you use a camera to take a picture in a mirror. Old SLRs (pre-autofocus days) had a scale marked on the lens with distances to the subject, and you could focus on something that is 40 feet away when the mirror is a couple feet in front of you, and you’d see that the distance on the lens would show 40’ when the subject was in focus.

So… with 20, 30, 40 years of driving you have trained your eyes that when you glance at a RVM they need to stay in “infinity focus” setting, as they have been when you were staring ahead out the windshield. No change. Very convenient.

But along comes an electronic screen RVM. With screens it’s not the same; focal distance is the measure from your eyes to the screen. You don’t change focus of your eyes when you are watching TV or a computer screen, whether they are showing a shot of the moon or a circuit board two feet from the camera. It’s all the same to your eyes, which focus on the screen.

Soooo, out of habit we all look at the screen initially with infinity focus, and it’s blurry, and we have to refocus our eyes to 2-feet. You can retrain your eyes to always shift from infinity to 2’ focus when you look from the cars in front of you to the screen, but then you’ve got the same problem any time you drive your other car(s), only in reverse.

Because I tend to make quick lane-changes with only a glance in the mirror as I’m starting to yank the wheel, I find it disconcerting to not have instant focus on the cars behind me, so I don’t use Clearview as a rule.
All this may be true, but we glance from the road to the dash or Pivi-Pro all the time. I guess some of us, have no problem automatically adjusting focus for that distance on the Clearview even if we're jumping between another vehicle with a rearview or not.

<shrugs>

I still want one for my Jeep.

swajames (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 01:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

Thank you for your excellent explanation. I was going to point out that same logic to those that think glasses make no difference - they do. I can't use the Clearview because it takes my eyes way too long to focus from the long-distance road, to the near mirror-screen, and back to the road.

Spectacle wearers should check out a Clearview before adding it to a build.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:58 PM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
Thank you for your excellent explanation. I was going to point out that same logic to those that think glasses make no difference - they do. I can't use the Clearview because it takes my eyes way too long to focus from the long-distance road, to the near mirror-screen, and back to the road.

Spectacle wearers should check out a Clearview before adding it to a build.
An additional issue with most progressive lenses is that the far focus is at the top of the field of view, and the near focus is at the bottom. Looking down at the instrument cluster or Pivi that arrangement works fine. But when glancing up at the mirror you are looking through the far focus part of the lens, when you need the near focus to see the Clearsight screen.

The following 2 users liked this post by Muppetry:
Elektrapops (02-22-2022), JMF20 (02-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Clearsight Mirror yes, no, maybe so?