Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The creaking from these flimsy doors was so annoying

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 07:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts
Default The creaking from these flimsy doors was so annoying

The constant creaking from the rubber door gaskets was getting so annoying. Couldn't even drown out the noise with the sound system anymore. I'm guessing that our LR4 doors are at least twice as heavy as the Defender doors, based on the tremendous amount of effort required to slam an LR4 door shut. And the LR4 doors are thicker as I can rest my entire arm on the LR4 door. I can barely fit my elbow on the Defender door ledge. Most impressive is that our LR4 doors have never made a sound over 8 years and 134,000 miles.

Back in the 90's a Honda dealer gave me a tube of silicone grease that would stop the rubber gasket on a huge sunroof from creaking. After some searching I did find it is still available. It's called Honda Shin-Etsu Grease 08798-9013. I ordered some from Amazon and applied it to the many sides of the many door gaskets. All is quiet for now, but I'm sure this will be an ongoing task to keep the gaskets quiet.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Thanks for the intel, @PaulLR . I hope it doesn't come in handy, but if need it will. I gotta admit, when I was speed reading your thread - I didn't read that Honda product name very well and thought you were doing a word play on "crap" grease...I had to slow down and re-read it a couple times.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 07-15-2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Thanks for the intel, @PaulLR . I hope it doesn't come in handy, but if need it will. I gotta admit, when I was speed reading your thread - I didn't read that Honda product name very well and thought you were doing a word play on "crap" grease...I had to slow down and re-read it a couple times.
That's really the name of this grease...

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 07:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
The constant creaking from the rubber door gaskets was getting so annoying. Couldn't even drown out the noise with the sound system anymore. I'm guessing that our LR4 doors are at least twice as heavy as the Defender doors, based on the tremendous amount of effort required to slam an LR4 door shut. And the LR4 doors are thicker as I can rest my entire arm on the LR4 door. I can barely fit my elbow on the Defender door ledge. Most impressive is that our LR4 doors have never made a sound over 8 years and 134,000 miles.

Back in the 90's a Honda dealer gave me a tube of silicone grease that would stop the rubber gasket on a huge sunroof from creaking. After some searching I did find it is still available. It's called Honda Shin-Etsu Grease 08798-9013. I ordered some from Amazon and applied it to the many sides of the many door gaskets. All is quiet for now, but I'm sure this will be an ongoing task to keep the gaskets quiet.

You have 7 hours to get some heavier doors!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2021-07-15

You might need a larger tube of that grease though.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

Thank you, I've noticed an uptick in creaking from the gaskets and it was starting to get to me. Only 4 tubes left on amazon

Last edited by ADVAW8S; 07-15-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:22 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
..I'm guessing that our LR4 doors are at least twice as heavy as the Defender doors, based on the tremendous amount of effort required to slam an LR4 door shut. And the LR4 doors are thicker as I can rest my entire arm on the LR4 door. I can barely fit my elbow on the Defender door ledge...
I don't believe there is much difference in the door thickness or weight for that matter. If the LR4 doors are heavier then I would say that would increase the potential for the door seals to creak/squeak. I recall taking the entire door panel off of my RRS because of creaking noise from the top door trim piece I heard every time I placed my elbow on it. As with the Defender, the top door trim is a separate piece on the LR4/RRS. I used felt tape on the top of the door frame to stop the annoying noise. I do have sympathy however as I go crazy when I hear interior trim creaking on any car.

What I find amusing and a little ironic about this thread is that, along time ago I had a car with the same problem--the door seals creaked all the time. As with you, it drove me nuts and, being an engineer, I drive my wife crazy by the lengths I take to fix these kind of problems. Anyway, I had some silicon paste in my pool equipment cabinet. I cleaned the door seals with denatured alcohol (I think) and then lightly smeared the door seals with the silicon grease. A quick rub down with a dry cloth and the problem went away. Not sure if it was the right solution to the problem but at the time i didn't care. It worked. The irony is that the car was an Acure MDX (aka Honda). So, I'm sorry for laughing.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMoke:
GrouseK9 (07-15-2021), PaulLR (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 05:55 PM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting. My 2020 doesn’t have that problem. Glad you resolved your’s. That product reminds me of a similar product - Gummi-Pfledge - which has kind of a mythic status in BMW circles.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotDefender
Interesting. My 2020 doesn’t have that problem. Glad you resolved your’s. That product reminds me of a similar product - Gummi-Pfledge - which has kind of a mythic status in BMW circles.
my 2020 P300 S also does not creak at all. At 9000 miles. Nothing yet.

BigDanSRQ (07-21-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 07:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

I guess everything is relative. Coming from a MINI Clubman, 2-door Wrangler, Porsche GT4, GLC300 and Frontier pickup, the Defender's doors seem pretty stout to me. Possibly the heaviest doors I own, at least from the effort to move them. Well, to be honest, since the Jeep doors are the only ones I've ever detached and carried across the garage, THOSE seem the heaviest.

BigDanSRQ (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2021 Defender HSE P400 and it suffers from the same squeak issue periodically. The dealership a[[lied silicone spray but it does not last long. Don’t get me wrong - I love the vehicle; have 4 wheeled a lot and pulled an RV. But this thread now gives me some solutions to try. Thanks.

Quick Reply: The creaking from these flimsy doors was so annoying