2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The creaking from these flimsy doors was so annoying

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 07:02 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh yes, good observation; it does not happen during straight, smooth movement. When I’m cruising with nary a bump I experience moments of joy thinking that whatever is loose in my very-expensive beast has been jostled back into place, but when I make a stiff turn or hit the slightest of bumps I return to reality. (A metaphor for life?!!)

Old 10-19-2021, 10:09 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cbell2112
What is the fix exactly?
A very thin application of silicone oil to the door seal, especially between the seal and the inner edge of the door, completely cured the rustling/creaking. There may also be other products that work too, but I've only tried silicone oil. If that is the problem then pressing firmly on the upper edge of the door when closed should cause the same creaking noise.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Any hypotheses from you experienced rovers what might cause a jangling almost creaking or rattling sound only from the rear when hitting bumps or turning corners? I have a service appointment set up, but have been tearing my hair out in the interim trying to locate it on my own. It's a new vehicle and it did not occur during the test drive.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dndicicco
Any hypotheses from you experienced rovers what might cause a jangling almost creaking or rattling sound only from the rear when hitting bumps or turning corners? I have a service appointment set up, but have been tearing my hair out in the interim trying to locate it on my own. It's a new vehicle and it did not occur during the test drive.
Any of these:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-noise-107903/

The following users liked this post:
Dndicicco (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Oups, let me check those out! My "rattling" thread search wasn't on point.

Thanks again

Old 10-19-2021, 10:44 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
A very thin application of silicone oil to the door seal, especially between the seal and the inner edge of the door, completely cured the rustling/creaking. There may also be other products that work too, but I've only tried silicone oil. If that is the problem then pressing firmly on the upper edge of the door when closed should cause the same creaking noise.
Thanks, dealer applied some type of silicone but that didn't seem to help. It is pretty tacky to the touch. I just received an order of Gummi Pflege Stift which worked on my BMW years ago. I will apply today or tomorrow and report back.

The following users liked this post:
Dndicicco (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 11:05 AM
Mudding

Thanks, dealer applied some type of silicone but that didn't seem to help. It is pretty tacky to the touch. I just received an order of Gummi Pflege Stift which worked on my BMW years ago. I will apply today or tomorrow and report back.
Silicone oil should be the complete opposite of tacky - it's a lubricant.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:43 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
Silicone oil should be the complete opposite of tacky - it's a lubricant.
You would think. I am not clear on what they used.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:53 AM
Mudding

You would think. I am not clear on what they used.
I'm curious to hear if the Gummi Pflege Stift works too - I bought some after using the silicone but haven't needed it (yet).

Old 10-19-2021, 11:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

What is the fix exactly?
From my first post above:

Back in the 90's a Honda dealer gave me a tube of silicone grease that would stop the rubber gasket on a huge sunroof from creaking. After some searching I did find it is still available. It's called Honda Shin-Etsu Grease 08798-9013. I ordered some from Amazon and applied it to the many sides of the many door gaskets. All is quiet for now, but I'm sure this will be an ongoing task to keep the gaskets quiet.

Quick Reply: The creaking from these flimsy doors was so annoying