Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cross-shopping defender, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by NativeTexan
I have an early build 2020 and it has all the suspect a pillar, both headlights, a odd coolant leak, software resets needed, etc.

everything is fine now.

There’s almost 4 years of repairs and known issues catalogued on here which is super helpful now to minimize any down time and costs.

LRs aren’t blowing up on the side of the road, so reliability in my opinion is good. After only having Toyotas for 20 years it’s been a new experience moving to LR. But I’m super happy with it and understand I’m probably spending $1-3k a year on little things to keep it 100%.

If you’re proactive and take interests in maintaining your vehicles, then LR is manageable.

If you are the type of person who only keeps up with taking it in for oil changes (or less) and never pops the hood in between…then run once the warranty is up.
I am in the same boat here. Early 2020 build with same issues (minus the coolant leak - was there a recall for that?). All sort by now.

This: "If you are the type of person who only keeps up with taking it in for oil changes (or less) and never pops the hood in between…then run once the warranty is up."

Yes, run or get an extended warranty (which is my plan).

Old 01-25-2024, 09:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Why would you not wait and buy the Defender (or whatever you get) from the Tennessee dealer that's going to work on it (assuming they don't have ADM or some stupid reason to put them out of the running)? And if you're not moving for awhile and don't want to wait, order it now from them and pick it up when it comes in.

Just curious about that decision. I get that the new dealer will work on it regardless of where it was bought; I just feel like with potential iffy warranty claims or something you might have better luck with the dealer who got your money in the first place.

As for your actual question, I had an expectation I'd have to put up with some crap owning my first Land Rover, given their universal low reliability rankins. My 2022 D110 P400 X-Dynamic SE has literally been flawless over 37,000 miles. Never seen the dealer other than a cracked windshield when a branch fell on it. That experience doesn't change the reliability ratings; it just gives you one data-point that things don't have to be bad at all with Defenders.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
LL247 (01-25-2024), mindanalyzer (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 11:45 PM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
Hi, New guy from Miami FL here …

I am cross-shopping the defender 110 w/ explorer pack, most likely x-dynamic I6 fully loaded or X

vs:
  • ranger raptor
  • lexus GX 550 overtrail+

I love the defender the most (pedigree, versatility and exterior / interiors are impressive) but I am a bit concerned with LR reliability since I would like to run my next vehicle for at least 10 years. For context, I am currently driving a bmw X3 i6 that has been absolutely flawless (not even a check engine, electrical issue or broken button once) for 9 1/2 years but I am moving from Miami to Tennessee and would like a tougher / more versatile vehicle. I have read the tracking issues thread and many of these entries are insane, which is making me to rethink my plans and also compelled me to ask here for your honest opinions.

About the other vehicles, The GX’s powertrain is great & bulletproof imo but I am not totally sold on its exterior/interior styles. As for the ranger raptor, I like it a lot, also has an excellent powertrain and it is considerably cheaper than other 2, but I like SUVs slightly better than trucks.

Do you have any advice for me?

If I went the defender route, what could be the wait times and dealers markup at the moment for custom orders in South Florida?

cheers,

ps: maybe one good option for extended warranty is geico mechanical breakdown, valid for 7y/72k miles and covers mostly everything for a very reasonable premium
I just went through the same decision process. Not between a defender and the gx, but whether I could live with and enjoy a defender despite the likelihood of reliability issues and overall initial and servicing cost.

pro: styles and capability. Uniqueness, ride quality, I'm sure there’s more.

cons: likely quality issues, dealers with bad service reputations, no loaners, long wait for repairs, higher insurance costs.

for me the cons would be a nagging worry in the back of my mind and that would ruin the experience.

ymmv