Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer quoted my $4257.95 for the 60k mile service

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 03:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
The Marin and esp the SF JLR dealership on Geary are utterly ridiculous when it comes to pricing. I stopped going to LR SF when I lived there pre-pandemic, mostly because they charged me $4k for a similar 48K (I think?) service on my old SVR, which was nothing more than routine fluid changes. They also charged me a couple grand for software updates on a 10 month old RRS (not the SVR). My fault for not asking how much in advance and assuming software updates would be free on a less than 1 year old expensive Rover.

I'm pretty sure they looked at my home address and decided to price accordingly. I get annoyed when "ability to pay" is a pricing philosophy.

As for your service... let's break down their quote:

YES TO:
Multi Point Inspection
Drain and Refill Engine Oil
Replace Engine Oil Filter
Replace Engine Air Filter Element
Replace Cabin Air Filter
Replace Spark Plugs
Vehicle Road Test
Perform Brake Fluid Exchange
Perform Differential Fluid Exchange Service
Drain and Refill Transfer Case Fluid
Perform Throttle Body Cleaning Service

NO TO:
Replace Brake Lines (even though it says this it's utterly ridiculous and completely wasteful in this day and age to replace the soft rubber brake hoses in 2-3 years... when did you get it, 2020?).
Install Premium Engine Treatment (absolutely not this is absolutely not recommended nor supported by LR)
Install Ultra Fuel System Treatment (same as above)
Install Windshield Washer Solvent (are you kidding me no)
Perform Battery Protection Cleaning Service (complete bs -- the battery is under the seat)
Install Anti Corrosive Battery Pads (literally a TSB from JLR recommending not to do this on their products a few years back)
Install Enhance fuel System Cleaner (again absolutely not)
Perform A/C Odor Treatment service (not needed unless there is a problem)
Perform Crank Case Cleaning Service (huh? the crank case? in the bottom of the engine? um. No)
Perform Mass Air Flow Cleaning Service (nope)
This is on point. They will try to bleed you with no mercy by offering all these fancy and complicated "services" and "products" named premium, ultra, cleaning, solvent, bla, bla, bla. If I had blindly accepted the "recommended package" from my dealer when I went for the 20k service, the invoice would be close to $3k. I bet most mommys driving Defenders and RRs in SF do not care and never question. This is really deceptive practice IMO. Honest and clean dealers (as if they existed) should clearly state what is factory recommended by the Bible and what is extra, fancy-pantsy add ons that are nothing more than "nice- to-haves", if you have coin to spare.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:39 PM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

You were not doing the 60k miles service, right? Mine is also p300.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Can't agree more

Last edited by Anuo; 06-23-2023 at 06:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ronin Defender (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 07:07 PM
Drifting
Received 116 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by David Liu
You were not doing the 60k miles service, right? Mine is also p300.
Sorry, yup it was the 60k service. The other service visits I had already done the engines and cabin filters and only needed the oil/ fluids and "service vehicle" notice reset.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:51 PM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Had I known how rich I could have become performing these grandiose-sounding service fantasies, I would have steered my career toward becoming a service writer. Or a mechanic who could charge these atmospherically high prices, by tripling my cost for parts, hourly labor charges that an attorney or cardiac surgeon would be jealous of, and with sleight of hand and great sales tactics, make the owner believe that every one of these suggested engine-protecting, longevity enhancing procedures must be performed immediately, or else the engine will shut down, leaving you stranded mercilessly on the side of the highway. And the worst part is, most people fall for it. Dealerships used to make the bulk of their profits on the markup on the sale of the vehicle. Now that margin is so thin but the real money comes in the form of add-ons, accessories, financing, extended warranties, maintenance packages and upselling these unnecessary service procedures when you bring it in for a simple oil change.

Old 06-25-2023, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by David Liu
I'm in SF Bay Area, but any shop in Northern California will do. Thanks a lot!
Was this Land Rover Marin? They just quoted me a silly price on the 42k service, $1k more than I paid for my 21k service while in Florida

I live up in Glen Ellen and looking for someone to do my 42k

Old 06-26-2023, 11:52 AM
Drifting

No, Land Rover Redwood City

Old 01-23-2024, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Migs8416
Just did mine at the dealer two weeks ago doing all the recommended items. 1100 out the door, but I do have a p300 without all the extras.
Which dealer did you go to? I have the same p300.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:10 AM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

I used B&B in Napa for my 911 service. Happy with their service and prices. I brought my own oil. Total cost less than 200.00 for an oil change, my oil included.

I’m planning on using them for my upcoming Defender.