2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership holding title????

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 06:54 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they had me sign a nonexport form and then one of the very last things they had me sign was a form changing mailing address of the title to the car dealership. I said what the hell is this... the car is paid for and the title should go to me. They said that to stop people from exporting the car the dealership was required to hold the title for 1 year. This caught me off guard as I had already done everything and wrote the check and was just signing the finial papers to leave. I was so taken back by this and have never heard of such a thing. I asked what if I want to sell the car and I would have to get them to approve it for the title to make sure it was not being exported.. Since I was planning on keeping it for at least 3 to 4 years (until warranty is about out) I said whatever. But now that it has been a few days Im thinkig what the hell i have a paid for car and no title for a year.. Just does not feel right to me, but they were going to unwind the deal if I said no. The dealership is Tom Wood Land Rover in Indy. I was just wondering if this was normal because it does not feel normal to me.. At least on a side note they are selling for MSRP

Last edited by duck; 04-06-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

That's insane, and you should have never agreed to it. It's not normal, I've bought probably 20 cars in my lifetime and I have never experienced that. The only time someone holds the title that isn't me is the lien holder.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:02 PM
8th Gear

after signing the nonexport form they had one form they tried to gloss over changing the address of the title from my address to the dealerships.. When I asked about it they said they were required to hold the title for one year.. I was so thrown off by this I pushed back some but they were going to unwind the deal.. Now that it has been a few days Im just wondering if that is normal for LR.. and Im thinking of pushing back on the dealer for title ASAP... Thanks for the comments as I see now this is not nomral, I have bought many cars before and never had this happen.. But this is the first time I have bought a Land Rover product or bought a car from Tom Woods. On a side note I real love the Defender all black with the black wheels and trim kit and the Brown/Orangish colored leather inside..

Last edited by duck; 04-06-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Time to run up a couple thousand in parking tickets/

The following 2 users liked this post by Norsk:
duck (04-06-2023), robn (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 08:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
duck (04-06-2023), Huc (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 09:50 PM
8th Gear

thanks I will work on it tomorrow and let you guys know what happens

Old 04-06-2023, 11:15 PM
Mudding
Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by duck
thanks I will work on it tomorrow and let you guys know what happens
that is absolutely ridiculous from the dealer, get a lawyer to draft a letter demanding for your title to be given to you.
if that fails then I would bring it to state level.

The following users liked this post:
duck (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 09:43 AM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_F
Sounds like BS to me. My dealer (NJ) refused to take the financing I had arranged (more than a point below the rate they offered). When I said I’d pay cash, they told me their new policy was that everyone had to use their financing, but could pay it off in six months. I refused and told them I’d walk (after waiting almost a year since paying the deposit), got escalated to the owner (so they said) and they blinked. I paid cash. But I did get my title in a reasonable amount of time.

Dealers suck. Unless there’s some odd provision in Indiana law, you should raise a stink with JLR corporate and appropriate state oversight bodies.
which dealer in NJ, I bought mine from Princeton, they were great to work with and I would recommend them.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
which dealer in NJ, I bought mine from Princeton, they were great to work with and I would recommend them.
Same dealer. JLR Princeton. I bought from them because in late 2021 they were the only one around selling at MSRP. The sales rep (Joel) told me how the owners wanted a long term relationship with their clients. Fine.

When the car was close to build, I checked in about the process for my loan which I’d locked in from my bank. That’s when I was told every buyer had to finance through them. Joel was always nice, but sales manager (can’t remember his name) was a complete [redacted] and when I said I would pay cash rather than finance through him at a higher rate, he first asked me to do him a favor (when I’m paying $70k+?) and then said I’m being belligerent and maybe he won’t sell it to me because he only wants to do business with people he likes. A year after he took my deposit.

I assure you, I wasn't belligerent. I was deadly calm at all times. And told him he could either take my cash or I would walk. Joel called me back a half hour later to say the owner had agreed to make an exception for me.

The experience completely changed my perception of them. They acted like a cheap used car dealer instead of a high end dealership. I’ve been back for a couple of things (installing tow loops and the second key fob). I always say hi to Joel, but I ignore the sales manager.

Last edited by Mike_F; 04-07-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:00 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From a legal perspective wouldn't that be a deceptive legal practice? In other words they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court? Can I as a business in any other industry say I won't sell you something unless you use my source for financial arrangements?

I'm no lawyer, but that seems super sketchy and I'm guessing that's why when you challenged them they backed off on it.

Originally Posted by Mike_F
Same dealer. JLR Princeton. I bought from them because in late 2021 they were the only one around selling at MSRP. The sales rep (Joel) told me how the owners wanted a long term relationship with their clients. Fine.

When the car was close to build, I checked in about the process for my loan which I’d locked in from my bank. That’s when I was told every buyer had to finance through them. Joel was always nice, but sales manager (can’t remember his name) was a complete [redacted] and when I said I would pay cash rather than finance through him at a higher rate, he first asked me to do him a favor (when I’m paying $70k+?) and then said I’m being belligerent and maybe he won’t sell it to me because he only wants to do business with people he likes. A year after he took my deposit.

I assure you, I wasn't belligerent. I was deadly calm at all times. And told him he could either take my cash or I would walk. Joel called me back a half hour later to say the owner had agreed to make an exception for me.

The experience completely changed my perception of them. They acted like a cheap used car dealer instead of a high end dealership. I’ve been back for a couple of things (installing tow loops and the second key fob). I always say hi to Joel, but I ignore the sales manager.

Quick Reply: Dealership holding title????