Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership holding title????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 03:03 PM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by motivated_1
From a legal perspective wouldn't that be a deceptive legal practice? In other words they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court? Can I as a business in any other industry say I won't sell you something unless you use my source for financial arrangements?

I'm no lawyer, but that seems super sketchy and I'm guessing that's why when you challenged them they backed off on it.
I'm not a lawyer either, but I think you're right. Having said that, I realized in the middle of the conversation that we don't really have a "contract" when we pay a deposit. We have some sort of "intent to sell" or something like that (I'm sure someone on here is a lawyer and can correct me). That's what allows them to say "I agreed to sell it to you at MSRP, not at a specific price" and charge us more for a de-contented vehicle when the thing shows up a year after we pay the deposit. I swallowed that one, unhappily.

So I don't think I had an enforceable contract - they could have sold the car to someone else and just sent me my deposit back. And at that time in the market, they would have made significantly more profit by selling it to whoever was willing to pay above MSRP when it reached the lot - at the sacrifice of their reputation for "creating long-term relationships with their customers" which they basically sacrificed by trying to squeeze me.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by motivated_1
From a legal perspective wouldn't that be a deceptive legal practice? In other words they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court? Can I as a business in any other industry say I won't sell you something unless you use my source for financial arrangements?

I'm no lawyer, but that seems super sketchy and I'm guessing that's why when you challenged them they backed off on it.
No, not deceptive. As a business owner, I can set a price, change the price as long as there isn't a contract in place, determine the payment methods that I accept, and decide I don't want to work with a particular client so long as I'm not discriminating against a protected class.

I'm not saying what they did isn't terrible and short-sighted customer service but it's certainly not illegal.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 04-08-2023 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Fair point. You actually made me think about the small business owner saying cash only or the new trendy business idea of going cashless. This particular ones bugs me though and I would exit if I ever walked into a business transaction of this size where they made these kinds of stipulations (no cash/self arranged financing OR no title for 1 year).

Back to the OP's original issue. Even if you don't want to get a lawyer involved, I would still write a strongly worded letter to JLR (hell, get ChatGPT to do it for you) to get them to relinquish your title to you.

The following users liked this post:
Mike_F (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 09:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
No, not deceptive. As a business owner, I can set a price, change the price as long as there isn't a contract in place, determine the payment methods that I accept, and decide I don't want to work with a particular client so long as I'm not discriminating against a protected class.

I'm not saying what they did isn't terrible and short-sighted customer service but it's certainly not illegal.
Yes, it’s not illegal. But it’s a crappy way to do business. Like overselling a flight and bumping passengers. Somehow that’s legal even though in my business if I told my clients I didn’t really sell them the service they paid for, just a chance I might give them the service they paid for, they would fire me.

When all the airlines do that, I have no market power. When only one or two dealers pulls this nonsense, I have some power. And our memories are long - when the supply chain issues are resolved and we have some more
choices about who to buy expensive vehicles from, we will remember who acted in bad faith.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_F:
GrouseK9 (04-11-2023), SoCalDef (04-10-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 08:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_F
Yes, it’s not illegal. But it’s a crappy way to do business. Like overselling a flight and bumping passengers. Somehow that’s legal even though in my business if I told my clients I didn’t really sell them the service they paid for, just a chance I might give them the service they paid for, they would fire me.

When all the airlines do that, I have no market power. When only one or two dealers pulls this nonsense, I have some power. And our memories are long - when the supply chain issues are resolved and we have some more
choices about who to buy expensive vehicles from, we will remember who acted in bad faith.
1000% agree. I run my businesses like Zappos. Freaky fast shipping and the most customer-first service you've ever experienced. All I can say is, it works. Life is good.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (04-11-2023), Mike_F (04-09-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

call your DA and ask for advice.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Wow. As I read these stories of shady dealerships, I count myself lucky. My dealer actually discounted the price from the MSRP at the time of purchase to match the MSRP that was at the time when the deposit was made and the intent to sell order signed. JLR of Tysons in Virginia.

Mike_F (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
Wow. As I read these stories of shady dealerships, I count myself lucky. My dealer actually discounted the price from the MSRP at the time of purchase to match the MSRP that was at the time when the deposit was made and the intent to sell order signed. JLR of Tysons in Virginia.
They didn't discount the price. They sold you the vehicle at the price that was agreed upon. And you should not feel lucky because that's what they are supposed to do.

EasternShoreDefender (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 12:31 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by sacharama
They didn't discount the price. They sold you the vehicle at the price that was agreed upon. And you should not feel lucky because that's what they are supposed to do.
Well, to be fair, most other dealerships were putting significant markups above MSRP. I felt lucky to have found one that would sell me at MSRP. Compared to the then-prevailing market price, it sounds like Poptopp was able to buy below market price. Seems like a discount to me...

POPTOPP (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 01:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_F
When the car was close to build, I checked in about the process for my loan which I’d locked in from my bank. That’s when I was told every buyer had to finance through them. Joel was always nice, but sales manager (can’t remember his name) was a complete [redacted] and when I said I would pay cash rather than finance through him at a higher rate, he first asked me to do him a favor (when I’m paying $70k+?) and then said I’m being belligerent and maybe he won’t sell it to me because he only wants to do business with people he likes. A year after he took my deposit.
That's nuts. In Fall 2022, I had my own financing, and it was at a better rate, (3.84 in October 2022) they asked me to use theirs, I said 'sure if you match my rate' and they did. At that point no reason not to use theirs vs what I had. There'd been no way I'd have done it at a higher rate, especially in fall 2022 when rates were climbing fast. There was no high pressure stuff at all, only thing I didn't want to deal with is they did a partial paint protection thing (door / trunk edges PPF) and hadn't told me about it ahead of time. I was looking at doing a full ppf later once we get everything aligned to go offroad.

Quick Reply: Dealership holding title????