2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dedicated winter/snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 10:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I’m running Michelin X-Ice Snow and love them. To me, they’re slightly (tiny bit) better than the Blizzaks I’ve had, but what makes me like them even more is that Blizzaks only have winter compound for the first half of the tread. After that it’s just regular compound and the grip is worse. The Michelins are the same compound through the entire tread

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyn
I’m running Michelin X-Ice Snow and love them. To me, they’re slightly (tiny bit) better than the Blizzaks I’ve had, but what makes me like them even more is that Blizzaks only have winter compound for the first half of the tread. After that it’s just regular compound and the grip is worse. The Michelins are the same compound through the entire tread

+1 for X-Ice Snow. We've had a lot of snow in MN this winter... 14" last week and these tires ate through it all with complete control. And that was with my F Pace!

Old 01-21-2023, 01:16 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Even though its not a true 'winter' tire, I had a set of Goodyear Duratrac's fitted to my 5098 20's. These do well in the snow (so far) and for the last 18 months have performed well in the wet - not significantly louder than my Continental Cross Contact's on my 22" wheels, and not a huge drop in mpg either - I'm impressed with the tire in general given its aggressive tread. I believe this is the same wheel/tire spec as the No Time To Die Bond Defenders......I've heard great things about the Nokian Outpost AT tire - might test that one out next.

gb1044 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 01:58 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nokians

Vehicle: MY 2023.5 Defender 110X (USA), 20" 5098s with classic flaps, no rack or extra weight.

Conditions: Colorado area; 6,000 - 9,000 feet above Mean Sea Level; Temps 0-45 degrees Fahrenheit; dry, wet, snow, ice conditions on top of mostly asphalt/concrete pavements with occasional dirt/packed gravel base.

I am very pleased with my Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 SUV 275/55/R20 117R XL tires. These stop and corner way better than the OEM Wrangler AT tires and, despite the Defender's weight, these Nokians seem to give me the same level of traction as I enjoyed with my Subaru Outback with a Nokian setup. The size is per the Defender manual, and I am not experiencing any rubbing at access, normal or offroad height. The manual states 'R3', but Nokians have discontinued those in lieu of the R5; they seem to have a slightly wider stance.

For snow/ice packed roads, I select Snow/Gravel Terrain Response (TR). For wet pavement with snow patches, I select Auto TR. I have not noticed a difference other than having personal confidence the Defender is optimized for the conditions.

PaulLR (01-26-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 08:15 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might check out the Cooper Evolution winter tires. I am not a big fan of Blizzaks tires but you can try searching for more tires here https://www.corwheels.com/best-snow-tires-for-suvs/. Cooper had an all terrain type tread that excelled on slushy dirt roads and in deeper snow. I believe that conventional snow tires perform better on icy and snow-packed roads.

Last edited by Denitsch; 09-07-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:30 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Since this thread was bumped...
Anybody got a recommendation for our stupid 19"? LR recommends WinterContact yet all the reviews I've read of them say they aren't good. I run Nokians on our Volvo and they have been fantastic. Just can't find one for our 19" (same for X-Ice and Blizzak). Thanks!

Old 09-07-2023, 02:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrown
Since this thread was bumped...
Anybody got a recommendation for our stupid 19"? LR recommends WinterContact yet all the reviews I've read of them say they aren't good. I run Nokians on our Volvo and they have been fantastic. Just can't find one for our 19" (same for X-Ice and Blizzak). Thanks!
Get a set of 20" take off wheels and put Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 SUV 275/55/R20 117R XL tires on them.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Get a set of 20" take off wheels and put Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 SUV 275/55/R20 117R XL tires on them.
I'm questioning the recommendation for a wider than stock winter tire. In my experience, a narrower tire performs better in the snow.

The following 2 users liked this post by POPTOPP:
Mike_F (12-21-2023), mopadzi (09-08-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

I had been using Nokia Hakkapelittas for years. I had an issue with the last set on the Range Rover, the inside sidewalls started to get really bad circumferential cracks and I had to replace them after 18 months. Turned out they were being made in Russia and a common failure. So that particular problem may have solved itself. When I got the Defender, it poked around and got the Cooper AT3-S snow tires. They seem to have performed well last year in the 10' or so of snow we got. They also perform well off road and seem fairly quiet.

Funny story, I had the Hakka's on my Vanagon Synchro Westphalia as well. They did the snow thing perfectly as normal. I sold the van to a guy who immediately took it up into the mountains and proceeded to get it stuck in an intersection spinning all 4 wheels, that had thawed and frozen into an ice rink. He called me all angry. "You said these were the best snow tires out there!" I replied, "they are, but they are snow tires, not ice tires!"

I agree that too wide a tire will not give enough footprint weight to get all the benefit a snow tire can provide. Same is true of desert armor rock coverings. Real wide tires will tend to spin and strip off the rocks and put you in the underlying sand. Narrower tires will not do that, keeping the footprint weight just right.

POPTOPP (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
I'm questioning the recommendation for a wider than stock winter tire. In my experience, a narrower tire performs better in the snow.
More a choice issue. Lots more to choose from in 275/55 R20 v the non-winter OEM sizing. Also easier to source a replacement in the event you need one. Blizzaks are everywhere including Costco.

Last edited by GavinC; 09-07-2023 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Dedicated winter/snow tires