Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 11:00 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

I have a 2021 X-Dynamic and I am extremely concerned with a potential design flaw that is causing splattered dings that almost look like glitter on the back doors in front of the rear wheels. There are only 4,000 miles on the car!!! See photos. At first it was considered tar that would come off but I've been to several detailing / collision centers and its conclusively been told to me that this is happening because the front tires, at higher speeds, are firing back small rocks and causing what you see in the photos. At first I was concerned it was because of the X-Dynamic High Gloss black finish on the lower door skin and wheel arch but you can see it is going up as high as the door so I would think all models are seeing this.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have a solution to prevent further damage and what are your thoughts on Land Rover covering this? At this rate the car will look horrible by year's end.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
GFranklin (06-10-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 04:20 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen similar stuff on my old Mustang GT, I'd assume JLR would consider it regular wear and tear. Got the same X-Dynamic trim package on my Defender, haven't noticed anything yet with my Continental tires at 3k miles (just a busted wind screen instead). If you clay bar, does it clear it up any?

How flush are your wheels to the wheel well? I've got the 22" continentals and they don't appear to jut out any.

Last edited by whale; 05-09-2021 at 04:48 PM.
cdiceman (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Thanks for responding whale. My concern is I'm only at 4,000 miles with that amount of spots. At this rate I'd expect JLR to do something. I bought a clay bar but that was when I was originally told it was tar. Since then, people I've spoken to at detailing spots have warned it could make it worse. I'm going to have JLR use the clay bar if anything so they can't whack me for it later (under lease). I've also never used one before so not sure how experienced I'd need to be. I'm still waiting to hear back what JLR will do, if anything. My goal would be to have them fix it and then I'd pay to have it prevented again .... which leads me to .... what are your thoughts on the fixed side steps and/or the front classic mudflaps preventing it from continuing?

GFranklin (06-10-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 05:04 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just watch one of the youtube detailing videos on clay barring, but basically you'll be wetting the surface and the bar, and folding it over frequently to expose fresh surface and bury captured contaminants, that said, if this is not just debris and these are actual paint dings the claying won't fix anything and like the detailers said, you could potentially scratch up the surface more (you can remove wax or sealant with a clay bar). If it *is* considered regular wear and tear, I'd be irritated if that's something JLR can even hit you with upon termination of lease.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Thanks again whale. I just saw your photos now didn't see them first time. I have the 20" Michelin's on mine but they appear to be flush under. These markings are DEFINITELY paint dings and if you look at the photos there are a ton of them and uniform on both sides. I've made it clear to JLR my concern about the lease and getting whacked....but that's not what concerns me the most...these are +$80k cars.....I want it CLEAN and it infuriates me that these look almost like salt or dried dirt and I'm now paranoid to drive fast because clearly its happening at high speeds. I live in Illinois and have never taken this car off road.

GFranklin (06-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cdiceman

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have a solution to prevent further damage and what are your thoughts on Land Rover covering this? At this rate the car will look horrible by year's end.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Would the wheel arch flares and mud guards help?

catman (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow this is concerning, anyone else seeing this on their defender?

I would think the mudflaps would help.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:16 PM
Drifting

It absolutely has me feeling more paranoid about driving high speeds on the highway. I haven't been off road yet. I will be hearing back from my JLR's management early this week on what they are willing (if anything) to do and offer as far as future protection. I'm not certain I've seen wheel arch flares offered on these new ones. I saw a Defender in the showroom with the fixed side steps and was surprised how far the came out....which gave me hope it could be a preventative add on....however, not a cheap solution.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:27 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue on both Passenger and Driver side rear doors - 2021 Model X, 22 in wheels, with <1500 miles. very curious on what your JLR management says. Thanks,

Old 05-10-2021, 02:08 PM
Drifting

I'm glad I'm not the only one, even though obviously disappointed with hearing it may be a bigger problem. Did you go to your JLR for feedback iceisarock?

Quick Reply: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping