Sponsored by:

Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 11:42 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
Yes, the Defender is made of aluminum

While paint chips don't lead to rust, aluminum does still corrode when attacked by salt, acidified water, and other substances (it forms a powdery white residue of aluminum oxide and the part will eventually become weaker).

It's much less of an issue than with a steel body panel, but should still be addressed
I'm guessing the lowering gloss black trims under the doors of the X-Dynamics and X's are made of plastic correct? What's interesting is the chipping looks very similar (see photos) as what I'm seeing on the doors themselves. My car is Santorini Black. These photos are as of today straight out of the car wash clean........

Old 05-12-2021, 01:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Do you live on a gravel or sand road? That's absurd. I can't believe all those are chipped into the paint!

Old 05-12-2021, 01:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Do you live on a gravel or sand road? That's absurd. I can't believe all those are chipped into the paint!
I agree, It is absurd! As someone who lives on a gravel road with an X-Dynamic on order, i am very concerned...!!

Old 05-12-2021, 01:28 PM
Drifting

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I've yet to take the vehicle off road. My only guess, from what I've been told, is that this occurring on the highway at speeds over 60mph. I've done a handful of road trips where this is the case but 70% of my time has been spent commuting into the city on a very congested highway going well under 30mph.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Not good. For those of you experiencing this issue, how wide are the tires (I have seen R20 and R22 wheels mentioned on the thread, but don’t know the OEM width of the tires that come with thise wheels). Anyone with 18s experiencing the issue?

Old 05-12-2021, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Juancl
Not good. For those of you experiencing this issue, how wide are the tires (I have seen R20 and R22 wheels mentioned on the thread, but don’t know the OEM width of the tires that come with thise wheels). Anyone with 18s experiencing the issue?
Michelin's Latitude Tour HP 255/60R20 on mine.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:50 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did my first actual hand wash of my P300 w/ factory 19” off-road tires, and I’ve got the same chipping all over the lower rear doors. Just over 1200 miles...kind of a big issue as this vehicle really only ever leaves my garage for use on gravel/dirt/etc roads for fishing/mountain biking/camping. Going in for a service appointment on the 25th, and will mention it to them then. If I can get them to fix it now, I’ll probably go ahead and put some clear vinyl or something over those areas afterward?

Old 05-15-2021, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

do you also have glossy painted body colored lower like the "X" and "X-Dynamic" or the black matte plastic lower?

Also, do you guys who have the paint chips have mud flags on your car?

Originally Posted by pvangura
Just did my first actual hand wash of my P300 w/ factory 19” off-road tires, and I’ve got the same chipping all over the lower rear doors. Just over 1200 miles...kind of a big issue as this vehicle really only ever leaves my garage for use on gravel/dirt/etc roads for fishing/mountain biking/camping. Going in for a service appointment on the 25th, and will mention it to them then. If I can get them to fix it now, I’ll probably go ahead and put some clear vinyl or something over those areas afterward?

Last edited by sacharama; 05-15-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:35 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
do you also have glossy painted body colored lower like the "X" and "X-Dynamic" or the black matte plastic lower?

Also, do you guys who have the paint chips have mud flags on your car?
I have the matte plastic. Both the plastic, and the door itself have similar damage. The plastic is ‘chewed up’, and there are a handful of paint chips in each rear door.

I do not have mud flaps.

I should also clarify that the actual distance covered on unpaved roads has been relatively short, though frequent. I drive about 50 miles to the mountains on the highway, then a few miles up a dirt road to fish/hike/bike...it’s not like I’m driving 100 miles at a time on gravel at high speeds or anything like that.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for the additional information.

I am curious if the mud flags make a difference. If so, that would be one solution, if not, then I suppose some sort of vinyl paint protection films might work as you all have mentioned.

Originally Posted by pvangura
I have the matte plastic. Both the plastic, and the door itself have similar damage. The plastic is ‘chewed up’, and there are a handful of paint chips in each rear door.

I do not have mud flaps.

I should also clarify that the actual distance covered on unpaved roads has been relatively short, though frequent. I drive about 50 miles to the mountains on the highway, then a few miles up a dirt road to fish/hike/bike...it’s not like I’m driving 100 miles at a time on gravel at high speeds or anything like that.

Quick Reply: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping