2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 08:25 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered mine (hasn't arrived yet) with the satin PPF. I hope that helps, but now I'm concerned about maintaining it. Does anyone know exactly what PPF JLR uses? I know xpel has a sealant they recommend twice a year.

The following users liked this post:
gurka01 (05-18-2022)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I just had a full Xpel Ultimate PPF install done before mine had 40 miles on it. I do every car I buy. I cannot stress how important this is. For those of you in this thread that have stone chip damage on the lower rockers already. Take it to a great body shop. This lower rockers pop right off. Have them resprayed, wait 10-14 days and then get them wrapped with PPF.

Azvantage (08-26-2023)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:35 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliffplaysdrums
I ordered mine (hasn't arrived yet) with the satin PPF. I hope that helps, but now I'm concerned about maintaining it. Does anyone know exactly what PPF JLR uses? I know xpel has a sealant they recommend twice a year.
Most PPF are made of similar materials, so any “PPF-safe” sealer should be fine.
I use “CarPro Reload” on “Xpel Ultimate” (clear), and “Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte” on “Xpel Stealth” (matte).
I dilute 50/50 with distilled water in a spray bottle, and apply after each wash when the vehicle is still wet.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by dj200; 10-14-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dj200
Most PPF are made of similar materials, so any “PPF-safe” sealer should be fine.
I use “CarPro Reload” on “Xpel Ultimate” (clear), and “Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte” on “Xpel Stealth” (matte).
I dilute 50/50 with distilled water in a spray bottle, and apply after each wash when the vehicle is still wet.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reload...d18bf51be&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQHY64S...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Reload by Car Pro is excellent, another great finish for PPF is 303's Graphene spray. Probably the best water beading qualities I've seen yet, and it is perfect for Xpel gloss or Xpel Stealth.

Last edited by Low Country; 10-14-2021 at 10:14 PM.
dj200 (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:30 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned this type of paint issue is happening in all cars with flares. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz you name it. Often time the car will come with clear stone guard, paint protection film pre-installed from the factory. I wouldn't call it "Paint Defect" rather than factory should've done the PPF in the areas like others.

Just get that area covered as soon as you get the car.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2045
Surprised no one has mentioned this type of paint issue is happening in all cars with flares. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz you name it. Often time the car will come with clear stone guard, paint protection film pre-installed from the factory. I wouldn't call it "Paint Defect" rather than factory should've done the PPF in the areas like others.

Just get that area covered as soon as you get the car.
As others have mentioned rock chips happen on many vehicles. My 2011 Subaru Forester had OEM protection back there stock.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:11 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure what you mean by the wider fender flares. I honestly think you SHOULD be good with either of the 2 mud flaps but I've had ZERO chips since installing the step ups boards (that might be what you mean by fender flares?) AND the regular flaps (smaller ones).

Old 05-16-2022, 02:37 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

I have the exact same issue. 8,000 mostly highway miles on my 2022 Defender and the backs and bottoms of the rear doors and bottom panels under the doors are trashed. I've spoken to 2 dealerships and neither has seen this issue come up yet with customers. Did you figure out what is causing this and how to fix it?

Old 05-16-2022, 05:37 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by MastrBlastr
I have the exact same issue. 8,000 mostly highway miles on my 2022 Defender and the backs and bottoms of the rear doors and bottom panels under the doors are trashed. I've spoken to 2 dealerships and neither has seen this issue come up yet with customers. Did you figure out what is causing this and how to fix it?
Do you have any pics?

Matt

Old 05-17-2022, 08:20 AM
6th Gear

Here you are. What you don't see clearly are the rock chips on the doors as well. I went to my local Land Rover dealer this morning. The service manager said he has seen this on Defenders, and he also showed me a low mileage Velar with the same damage. He said that because the fenders flare out, they're catching debris from the front tires (then panels directly behind my front tires are still in great condition). He doesn't believe mud flaps would prevent the issue significantly, especially the smaller mud flaps, and side steps would get trashed also. He took pictures to send to Land Rover. We'll see... Has anyone else received feedback from LR yet?

Quick Reply: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping