2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 110 delivered without USB/power outlets in second row. Easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 04:47 PM
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Also picked up defender 110 x-dynamic on 10/5/22.

Originally Posted by hadokenny
Hi there,

Picked up my defender today. It was missing the usual sunglass holder and larger screen. Those don't bother me much. The things missing that annoyed me the most were the second row usb/power outlets. All 4 of them are blanks. Does anyone know if they are pre-wired for plug and play of the OEM usb sockets I can order online.
mine is listed as 23.5 year model. Build date 8/29/22. Missing 11.4 screen,glasses holder,and second row usb and 12v sockets. I also ordered the electric steering column adjustment and received the manual column.
while none of these are deal breakers I don’t understand why dealer or company doesn’t notify us of changes
dealer has no clue but says 23.5 build stared mid June. Very frustrating to carefully work on build of vehicle and have it show up with several features missing

The following 2 users liked this post by Defender novice:
Neil V (03-12-2023), Xtabi (12-04-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 05:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Defender novice
mine is listed as 23.5 year model. Build date 8/29/22. Missing 11.4 screen,glasses holder,and second row usb and 12v sockets. I also ordered the electric steering column adjustment and received the manual column.
while none of these are deal breakers I don’t understand why dealer or company doesn’t notify us of changes
dealer has no clue but says 23.5 build stared mid June. Very frustrating to carefully work on build of vehicle and have it show up with several features missing
can I ask if you know the electric adjustable steering is part of driver memory? In my bmw between my wife and myself it’s just at the press of the button or depending on which key is used to unlock, the seats, steering, side mirrors all adjust to the saved settings. It will be annoying if this is not part of memory setting for steering adjustment and hence asking

Old 10-09-2022, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

I complained to LR about the missing ports. I asked the dealer about it and they shrugged and said so far every month has been different with no notice.

‘’they were missed and my kids were annoyed on our 600 mile road trip to overland expo east.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:31 PM
Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekkie
I complained to LR about the missing ports. I asked the dealer about it and they shrugged and said so far every month has been different with no notice.

‘’they were missed and my kids were annoyed on our 600 mile road trip to overland expo east.
Another reason to champion the eventual end of dealers.

I wonder if they'd be reasonable and install the outlets at a less than exorbitant price if you could source the outlets (you can).

Old 10-09-2022, 06:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

In fairness, dealers have very little control of these things. I have spoken with a couple dealers, and as things stand these days, they are basically flying blind in terms of what is headed their way. Basically, order configuration guarantees nothing (some dealers are actually not taking bespoke orders these days, but just offering clients to take on a car that is headed their way). Not sure if this is an issue with other manufacturers or exclusive to JLR, but think it’s probably not that different with others. We are definitely in a sellers market…

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 09:14 PM
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sany84
can I ask if you know the electric adjustable steering is part of driver memory? In my bmw between my wife and myself it’s just at the press of the button or depending on which key is used to unlock, the seats, steering, side mirrors all adjust to the saved settings. It will be annoying if this is not part of memory setting for steering adjustment and hence asking
yes, the electric adjustable steering is part of the memory setting; the mechanical adjustable steering is not. Thus one of the reasons I’m annoyed

Old 10-10-2022, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Defender novice
yes, the electric adjustable steering is part of the memory setting; the mechanical adjustable steering is not. Thus one of the reasons I’m annoyed
My only comment on the electric steering adjustment is when I did the build online and did the order in June 2022 it was never an option for the 110 SE, so for me I knew it wasn't coming. I'll be honest even with my wife being 5'2 and me 5'10 the steering wheel usually doesn't move much, it's the seat and mirrors, for us it wasn't a big deal.

But the USB ports are. I've popped the covers off, and can feel a wire in there so might try ordering parts and see what I can do, but just on our short 600-mile round trip they were sorely missed by my passengers.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sna77
So I just bought a '23 Defender and mine came with 2 blanks in the back... The 20-22s came with DC outlets there, and I wanted them back, so I added them.

Order 2 of these:
Cigarette lighter base

and 2 of these:
Cigarette lighter cover

Even though it says it wont fit, that's just because it is not prewired:

You just need to tap into a power source for the other outlets behind there. There is plenty of voltage and the wires are already fused. I think Powerful UK is already working on a kit for this, but if you can do basic car electric, you can wire this up yourself...

Here's my before / after pics from my '23 V8 110

Splendid. I’ll definitely be looking into this. For now at least adding the center USBs.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have ordered one USB-A and one USB-C port. Fingers crossed the wired plugs fit!

Old 10-10-2022, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EasternShoreDefender
Another reason to champion the eventual end of dealers.

I wonder if they'd be reasonable and install the outlets at a less than exorbitant price if you could source the outlets (you can).
I'm not a fan of some dealers, but if they're kept in the dark too that's on the manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Defender 110 delivered without USB/power outlets in second row. Easy fix?