Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Expedition Rack Wind Noise Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 12:12 AM
4wd Low
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Defender Expedition Rack Wind Noise Fixes

I had the dealer install a new Expedition Rack on DaBull, (Yes I named my 2020 First Edition 110 Defender DaBull in honor of the legendary big wave surfer and waterman Greg Noll). I kept hearing a pulsing noise and another noise when driving at certain speeds. I discovered two things that were creating the noise. The first was that the dealer in fitting the rack forgot to fully tighten down one set of nuts that attached the expedition roof rack to the large black uprights that sit in the roof rails. At certain speeds this caused noise. Once I tightened the loose nuts, low and behold that noise was gone. I still heard a pulsing wind noise, hum, vibration, or flapping noise at certain speeds and suspected what it might be. The upper cross bars all have a rubber strip running across the top of them. The rubber strip is there as a pad/bumper to keep you from scratching the aluminum cross bars and so that anything sitting on top of the cross bars will not easily slide off the slick aluminum cross bars. The cross bars have a hidden integral channel that the rubber strip slides into along the top of the cross bars. This channel holds the rubber strip in place. The problem is that this channel does not run the full length of the cross bars, which can be easily seen if you grab a small ladder and lightly pull up the very end of each rubber strip. You will see that the channel ends approximately 1” from the end of each cross bar because there is a large hole at the end of each channel that was put there to facilitate installing the fasteners that hold the cross bars to the large black perimeter frame of the Expedition Rack. As such, there is nothing to hold the rubber strip in place at the end of each cross bar. Since the profile of the rubber strip looks just like an airplane wing, when your Defender reaches a certain speed, the rubber tries to lift up and begins to flap, vibrate and pulsate. This is what is causing the majority of excessive wind noise on the Defender Expedition Racks. It is a design flaw in the rack design. The simple cure I came up with is to install 2 black zip ties at each end of each cross bar. Note: Best to have the catch part of the zip tie below the cross bars or the catch part of it could scratch something put on top of the crossbars. Took the Defender out for a spin and low and behold, Nirvana. The noise level had dropped so much, I now love my Expedition Rack when before the fixes I was about to have the dealer pull it off.

The following users liked this post:
wcc18999 (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 01:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,292 Likes on 948 Posts

Paragraph breaks are so passé. Nice copy and paste to 5 threads. Powerful use of your first 5 posts on the forum.

Last edited by GavinC; 10-29-2022 at 01:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
EasternShoreDefender (10-29-2022), this_account_is_mt (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Paragraph breaks are so passé. Nice copy and paste to 5 threads. Powerful use of your first 5 posts on the forum.

Maybe a bit more restraint from you, as well? Did you message him privately? Respond to him in a more respectful way in one of the other five threads?

I don't know. I'd rather have more paragraph-less questions like theirs than responses like yours.

SENC (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Received 144 Likes on 62 Posts

To be fair to you, the dealer has cut the rubber lengths down too much as they’re supposed to slide underneath the side frames (they’ll go and 3/4” under) and thereby will affix the rubber down passed the apertures for sliding the t-slots in.
As the lengths of the roof rack shorten towards the rear, I suspect they measured the first one at the rear and cut all of the others to that same length, thereby giving toy the gaps.
mine are fine, tuck under and are firnpmly in place, no wind issues 🙏🏼

this_account_is_mt (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,292 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewes
Maybe a bit more restraint from you, as well? Did you message him privately? Respond to him in a more respectful way in one of the other five threads?

I don't know. I'd rather have more paragraph-less questions like theirs than responses like yours.
Fair point.

Though I'm thinking it's a bot-account. Hence the 5 rapid fire identical posts (4 subsequently deleted) and my poor manners.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Dabull is not a bot.
My apologies, new to forum. Thought I was was providing info to 5 different posts and now know to just reply once or post once.
Thanks for the info on the cross bar rubber lengths being cut short by my dealer.
I believe the Land Rover Expedition Roof Rack may be made by Thule.
I found 70" long replacement rubber for the cross bars that appears to be the same as on the roof rack cross bars.
Here's a link to it from etrailer.comhttps://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...lated-products

DaBull

Old 10-30-2022, 12:17 AM
Mudding
Received 144 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi, yes they are from Thule, you can get replacement rubber inserts from eBay too 👍🏼

Old 10-30-2022, 02:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,151 Likes on 621 Posts

I can confirm that making sure those rubber strips go allll the way end to end (tucked under the edge as someone mentions) really helps reduce the wind noise.