Sponsored by:

Defender first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:47 AM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Defender first impressions

Part 1 new Defender exterior first impressions

Before we can get to the review I must address the elephant in the room.
The Classic Defender.
The Classic Defender is an icon. Plain and simple. If you want the new Defender to be just like the Classic Defender, then get a Classic Defender. Not getting either, but complaining about the new Defender is like arguing over what Batman was the best. At the end of the day it's just nonsense and we all know the right answer is Christian Bale
Onto the New Defender or as we are calling it in house Defender 2 The First thing I noticed when walking up to the Defender 2 was the size. The truck is way bigger in person, not overpowering big but yet you feel its presence. From ten feet away you know it was purpose built. If I had to sum up my first site to just one word it would be, SOLID. I immediately made my way to the front. I had to see the headlights for myself. Like most, I wanted the lights to be round and did not enjoy the angry eyes lights as they have been dubbed. Standing for a long pause in the front I felt my head leaning to the side like a confused dog. I was so ready to feel disappointed and let my internet rage troll out, but it did not happen. I don't want to admit this, but the lights work with the body and after a few minutes they become the new norm. By the end of the weekend I stopped noticing that they were not completely round. Moving from the front to the back, I stood five feet from the truck and just smiled. Not a kid getting a cookie smile, I went full Grinch smile. The kind that makes your ears hurt. Simply put they got the back of the truck right. It is so good! The Door mounted spare tire sits above the rear bumper with room for a lager tire. 35in tire perhaps? The tail light setup is perfect. It's modern, behind body led lights that stay out of harm's way but feel reminiscent of the old style with light guards. The rear end folded metal trim in the body is a direct call back to the galvanized end caps on the Series. Finally the classic Defender belt line, pure beauty. When you get to see one in person, just stand and look at the back of the truck. You will feel the adventurous spirits of past generations begging to make their own stories with the Defender 2. If you don't buy a Defender 2, you will definitely enjoy following one on the trails. The next stop in my must see list was the body color landing pads. These are the floating squares that act as protection from the side mounted accessories. With the ladder and side box attached you can not see them. With out those accessories installed they stick out and feel like an afterthought. That is my biggest visual complaint about the new design. Here's the rub, as an enthusiast I am conflicted to complain about a function over form design. Land Rover gave the truck an extra option to help it on adventures off road, and I’m complaining about that?
My head hurts.
If I put emotion aside and go full logic like the birth of the original Series, the obvious reason the Defender 2 has a rounder front end is to conform with the global laws. One must then consider that the engineers at Land Rover are on the side of the enthusiast, fighting the play it safe everyone gets a trophy world we now live in, to make the Defender 2 the best they can. What a daunting task that must have been for a low volume manufacturer to keep their thirsty signature off roader world compliant. Let that thought settle for a minute.
Now ask what has the Land Rover enthusiast base done to thank the engineers tasked with this endeavor? Endlessly complain of course, because the Defender 2 does not look like a toaster. Are you starting to feel all the Trolls on the inter webs may be wrong? I think so.
More to follow.
Justin Lucky8 Off Road
Photos generously provided by Chris Jeyes

The following 3 users liked this post by Fivespddisco:
ArmyRover (01-24-2020), BamaCountry (01-24-2020), John McGuinness (05-01-2021)
Old 01-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to your sharing more first impressions. Not everyone is complaining about the design. Although not a purist and previous owner; just a fan of the old, I am planning on purchasing this one and don’t think I’ll be alone by any stretch.

As long as the first in the bush reviews don’t reveal that the truck absolutely dies when off-road or overlanding, I think the new Defender will soon become a top LR model. Time will tell.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Nice looking 6th Gen Freelander that is.
Thanks for the review.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 01-24-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by BamaCountry
Looking forward to your sharing more first impressions. Not everyone is complaining about the design. Although not a purist and previous owner; just a fan of the old, I am planning on purchasing this one and don’t think I’ll be alone by any stretch.

As long as the first in the bush reviews don’t reveal that the truck absolutely dies when off-road or overlanding, I think the new Defender will soon become a top LR model. Time will tell.
I feel you will be happy with the Defender 2 on and off the road. When the Embargo is lifted ill dig more into the drivability.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Nice looking 6th Gen Freelander that is.

They where a good Batman too.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the write up. How does the interior space compare to the D5? First and second row leg room, head room, also the cargo area.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:57 PM
Winching

Ill dig into this next post

Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been almost a month....when is that damn embargo going to be lifted.

The following users liked this post:
BamaCountry (02-22-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

I like this...

But this just has too much going on...(square gridwork in grill, octagon lower grid, vertical slats and somewhat slotted holes around tow hooks - looks messy...and those head lights - yuck) Hopefully, the aftermarket folks are hot-on a head light upgrade.

Love the color...don't know why...

l hope the new Defender sells and whoever buys one has wonderful luck and enjoy it immensely.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
BamaCountry (03-08-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like the info embargo gets lifted at the end of March. Read this article from Jalopnik that JLR sponsored a good number of journalists for a “safari” to Africa to test the new Defender recently and seems the group had to agree not to post writing impressions until end of March or so. Guessing this is around the time of first deliveries.

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-my-fav...m_campaign=top

Doesn’t make JLR sound very confident in the product if they aren’t willing to take some criticism, but maybe this is normal for a product launch. The impressions seem to be good, but can’t wait to see this thing taken through it’s paces.

Very interested in whether or not the air suspension is beefed up in the Defender, otherwise it’s the coil version depending on ability to lift a few inches without ruining the ride dynamics.

Quick Reply: Defender first impressions