2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 04:34 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With the financial problems that Tata is having, I wouldn’t touch this Slovakian-built hunk of metal for all of the Coronavirus in China.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:11 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker
With the financial problems that Tata is having, I wouldn’t touch this Slovakian-built hunk of metal for all of the Coronavirus in China.
Think that’s why they can’t muck this up!

Time will tell. Down to Defender vs Bronco In my eyes. Can’t see myself in a 4 Runner....

Old 03-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by BamaCountry
Think that’s why they can’t muck this up!

Time will tell. Down to Defender vs Bronco In my eyes. Can’t see myself in a 4 Runner....
I think I’ll stick with this.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Drifting

Land Cruiser is old and tired while drinking gas like a thirsty guy in the desert.

You want to pay $85K for 12 year old engineering, knock yourself out. Time to get modern. Toyotas are flaccid to me.

The following users liked this post:
MrNails (03-26-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:12 PM
Mudding

Land Cruiser is old and tired while drinking gas like a thirsty guy in the desert.

You want to pay $85K for 12 year old engineering, knock yourself out. Time to get modern. Toyotas are flaccid to me.
easy now, that’s my 10 year old baby you’re diss’n.

130K miles, without as much as a blemish. I had to replace the radiator last summer - my first repair ever. Good merchandise.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:24 PM
Drifting

Of course it’s reliable, its a Toyota. However, that’s not the only thing that driving is about. Land Cruiser or Tacoma, or 4 Runner have little to no character.

You’re in a Land Rover forum and should expect push back when advocating a Toyota.

I’m coming from BMW, which is another brand that gets lamented for high maintenance costs and reliability. Guys over the years have often flatly asked me, why? My answer has always been, If you don’t get it, then you won’t get it, and that’s ok. I have retired from working to win converts. We love them for the drive and will figure out the rest. The **** eating grin that appears on our faces should tell the story, but we don’t care, not everyone can live our journey.

Moving over to LR is a very deliberate action for me and I truly look forward to making this new Defender a legend of its own if they got it right.

Last edited by BamaCountry; 03-08-2020 at 04:27 PM.
MrNails (03-26-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 04:46 PM
Mudding

I own a LR, too. I am glad you are enjoying the aura of European automobile ownership. I personally don’t give two farts about what someone thinks about my vehicle, I don’t “grin” about it, I’m not smug about it, nor do i consider my car any part of my “journey”. That *hit is for TV commercials.

And anyone thinking a Slovakian-built machine, produced by a failing Indian car maker with less than $6 billion in market capitalization, is going to be something besides a rattle trap after 5 years, is in fantasy land.

Last edited by Husker; 03-08-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:19 PM
Drifting

I own a LR, too. I am glad you are enjoying the aura of European automobile ownership. I personally don’t give two farts about what someone thinks about my vehicle, I don’t “grin” about it, I’m not smug about it, nor do i consider my car any part of my “journey”. That *hit is for TV commercials.

And anyone thinking a Slovakian-built machine, produced by a failing Indian car maker with less than $6 billion in market capitalization, is going to be something besides a rattle trap after 5 years, is in fantasy land.
Guess that’s why you own a Toyota...

Come on man, what exactly does that mean? Not like it was designed there. I would love for the new Defender to continue to be built in England also, but we all know why it isn’t; Brexit. And who’s fault is that?

Would love for you to explain the issue with a vehicle being built in Slovakia, but not sure I’d understand anyway. Sort of doubt that a Land Cruiser is built in Japan either.

MrNails (03-26-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Mudding

Guess that’s why you own a Toyota...

Come on man, what exactly does that mean? Not like it was designed there. I would love for the new Defender to continue to be built in England also, but we all know why it isn’t; Brexit. And who’s fault is that?

Would love for you to explain the issue with a vehicle being built in Slovakia, but not sure I’d understand anyway. Sort of doubt that a Land Cruiser is built in Japan either.
I am sure that a former communist state can produce a world class automobile. The body of evidence is impressive.

As I mentioned, I own a LR and a LC. We had a 15 RRS as well. LR products are novelty vehicles. Fun to drive and the ride is good. But we don’t ever take one out of town, and certainly not to the bush.

The LC is made in Japan. They only sell a few thousand per year in the states. The Lexus version is considerably more popular.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Drifting

I am sure that a former communist state can produce a world class automobile. The body of evidence is impressive.

As I mentioned, I own a LR and a LC. We had a 15 RRS as well. LR products are novelty vehicles. Fun to drive and the ride is good. But we don’t ever take one out of town, and certainly not to the bush.

The LC is made in Japan. They only sell a few thousand per year in the states. The Lexus version is considerably more popular.
Never out of town? Quite the indictment. So it’s about the marque or status symbol? Well ok.

My Defender will live in the woods and on trails, otherwise, I’ll buy something else.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Defender first impressions