Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 12:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BamaCountry
Looking forward to your sharing more first impressions. Not everyone is complaining about the design. Although not a purist and previous owner; just a fan of the old, I am planning on purchasing this one and don’t think I’ll be alone by any stretch.

As long as the first in the bush reviews don’t reveal that the truck absolutely dies when off-road or overlanding, I think the new Defender will soon become a top LR model. Time will tell.
Jalopnik has an article now detailing 420 miles of Defender testing in Namibia. Good read, you should check it out. Warning: it might make you want one even more.

The following users liked this post:
BamaCountry (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:28 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNails
Jalopnik has an article now detailing 420 miles of Defender testing in Namibia. Good read, you should check it out. Warning: it might make you want one even more.
Yes, had a read of that and several other articles and watched a number of videos on YouTube. Yet to see anyone question the capabilities of the truck.

I still don’t like how low independent suspension control arms sit, but the tires are in direct contact with the terra, so the risk is just similar, plus the diff on a live axle sits pretty low and is a big target for rocks as well even when armored.

Do I want it, you bet! Cost, competition, and coil vs air are my only debates at this point and I have a year to make up my mind.

MrNails (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I want it, you bet! Cost, competition, and coil vs air are my only debates at this point and I have a year to make up my mind.
I I don't really have a position on air suspension right now, I know how it used to be and my D2 has upgraded coil springs but it seems like it's come a long way these days so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Carfection:

Top Gear:

Carwow:

The following 3 users liked this post by Stroh:
andries (03-27-2020), BamaCountry (03-27-2020), MrNails (03-26-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Any of you guys have experience with air suspension in off-road conditions on one of your LRs? Hearing so much hate on the air suspension that I don’t know who to trust or what to think.

Part of me wants to give it a shot, as I’ll be doing more overlanding than true advanced trail off-road running until my Defender is paid for. Getting stuck is more of a concern than maintenance, but if the car can limp home and be drivable after a failure of the air suspension, think I’ll be fine with accepting that.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:38 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Any of you guys have experience with air suspension in off-road conditions on one of your LRs? Hearing so much hate on the air suspension that I don’t know who to trust or what to think.

Part of me wants to give it a shot, as I’ll be doing more overlanding than true advanced trail off-road running until my Defender is paid for. Getting stuck is more of a concern than maintenance, but if the car can limp home and be drivable after a failure of the air suspension, think I’ll be fine with accepting that.
I would go with the air. That ride is going be so nice. Having the option for the air is a huge plus for this vehicle vs a 4Runner or Jeep.

BamaCountry (04-17-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Thread has been quiet during COVID-19, so figured I would bring up a new conundrum. Because I barely even use my car these days while working from home and just filled up the tank after 8 weeks, it's making me rethink the investment in a NEW vehicle. Why would I need to pay around $76,000 (sticker for my build) for a new Defender; for what?

My wife and I may be working from home for an indefinite length of time. Even if there is some office presence at some point, it wouldn't be 5 days per week and we will have a staggered schedule in office.

A used vehicle is now more attactive than ever. Reliability and gas milage no longer mean the same to me as 3 months ago, so I can get a used, whatever, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover, LR4, etc. No rebuilt Defender by Himalaya for $100K, because, why?

I don't want a collectors toy, I want a 4x4 that I can beat on and drive cross country once a year. No one is going to really see your new pretty Defender as the social hierarchy has been reduced to rubble. This is all liberating to a point, but could be devastating to luxury manufacturers. I just don't care as much as I did because daily driver, has for me become once or twice per weekly driver.

Anyone else share any of these thoughts?

Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I think things change faster than we realize. Remember 9/11 and air line travel will never get back to where it was.
2008/9 house prices and the stock market will never recover.

Travel will start to return, the economy will start to recover, etc. Where I live traffic has already started to pick up, still probably at 50-60%, but people are returning to workout slowly.

Offices will start to open again, though for the next 18 months it may stay at less 70%.

The good part is you may get to put more fun miles on it. Our D5 is doing less commute and more fun miles, though it still is only 3/4 of the miles it used to do weekly.

Last edited by andries; 05-22-2020 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by andries
I think things change faster than we realize. Remember 9/11 and air line travel will never get back to where it was.
2008/9 house prices and the stock market will never recover.

Travel will start to return, the economy will start to recover, etc. Where I live traffic has already started to pick up, still probably at 50-60%, but people are returning to workout slowly.

Offices will start to open again, though for the next 18 months it may stay at less 70%.

The good part is you may get to put more fun miles on it. Our D5 is doing less commute and more fun miles, though it still is only 3/4 of the miles it used to do weekly.
All true statements you make, except the return to office concept is different. Travel by plane is the only efficient means and will be for foreseeable future. The stock market is the only real way to invest efficiently. Working in an office is not efficient at all unless you have no other choice.

technology allows over 30% of the workforce to perform functions from home.

many companies are moving forward with investment in automation to replace even more workers; robots don’t get sick or need benefits.

only half of the white collar in office crowd will be back in an office for 5 days per week. I’m likely only going back for 2 days per and not for next 12-18 months or until vaccine.

point is, my new truck can now be used as you pointed out, which is a good thing.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Our 2020 Defender just arrived and we couldn't wait. Already lifted it with Proud Rhino lift rods. This truck is just amazing and I cannot wait to see where we can take it.

Oh and we might have put some wheels on it.... We had to see what it will look like in the company logos as well. So much more to come!

DiscoNight5 (06-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Defender first impressions