2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender Order: did you use local or out of state dealer? (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 07:02 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Wouldn't be concerned at all buying out of state on a new vehicle.

I sold a car on Bring a Trailer earlier this year...buyer was half the country away and wired me $66,500, I fedexed the signed title, and the transport picked it up the next day.

People are generally worth trusting.

The following 2 users liked this post by ElVerde:
GrouseK9 (07-27-2021), PatriotDefender (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Who wants to tell him?
They were offering $1200 off and no ridiculous fees on a '22 90 X-Dynamic SE (P400) in early July for me, but I went out of state to get something more I'd like, a '22 90 S (P300). I paid MSRP for mine, leasing though, but no ridiculous fees either, only a $75 doc fee. Got it in Buffalo, NY on July 5th. I reside in NE Ohio.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist
They were offering $1200 off and no ridiculous fees on a '22 90 X-Dynamic SE (P400) in early July for me, but I went out of state to get something more I'd like, a '22 90 S (P300). I paid MSRP for mine, leasing though, but no ridiculous fees either, only a $75 doc fee. Got it in Buffalo, NY on July 5th. I reside in NE Ohio.
90's are like that. Still some available to drive home tomorrow.

110's are different story.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 07-28-2021 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:00 PM
7th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotDefender
That's me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. August 2020, bought out of state from Land Rover of Hunt Valley in Maryland. Entire transaction by email and text. Didn't wire money though - financed 100% through Land Rover Financial (Chase). Had the car shipped to me in Texas. 12 miles on ODO. Easily one of 5 best cars I've ever owned - maybe top 3.
White bar on the grille? If so, this is exactly the build I'd take, maybe no side-boxes. nice.

The following 3 users liked this post by fresher pie:
bobbyz95 (07-30-2021), MattF (07-10-2022), PatriotDefender (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 07:55 AM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

^^ Thanks. This is from Father's Day weekend next to my wife's X5.

The following 3 users liked this post by PatriotDefender:
dshark1 (05-31-2023), MattF (07-10-2022), Royalist (08-03-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:31 AM
4wd High
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pleased it all worked out for everyone. I bought off-the-lot but limited my search to dealerships within a comfortable drive. It limited my search a bit. I assume registration & taxes, etc. are easily sorted in your home state and there is the added cost of shipping but it seems, if one is to purchase from existing inventory, that's the way to go.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buying out of State will get harder and harder. JLR frowns about dealers selling out of their market to the point that they will take BIG BIG BIG money away from dealers.
Going forward, dealers will take more heed to that.

***the Maryland store you got the out of state purchase from..... I would be willing to bet they wont do it again.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Sigalphgio
Buying out of State will get harder and harder. JLR frowns about dealers selling out of their market to the point that they will take BIG BIG BIG money away from dealers.
Going forward, dealers will take more heed to that.

***the Maryland store you got the out of state purchase from..... I would be willing to bet they wont do it again.
I disagree with that. The Land Rover dealer in Buffalo, NY said they had no problem with selling to people out of state. The 3 other Defender 90’s are still there on the lot almost a month later after I got one. I live in Ohio for reference. I think it has nothing to do with Land Rover USA and more so to do with greedy dealers who are *inflating* their prices to make it seem that demand is higher than supply. About half of the dealers I called said they wouldn’t sell to out of state customers, and about half of those still have the vehicles I inquired about on their lots today. I had an Indiana dealer I called right before I got my 90. I asked if they sell out of state, they said they do for a $2500 mark up. Then I said ok, no thank you, bye. About a half hour later they called saying they will sell it to me for MSRP. GTFO here 😂. It’s all the dealers, not Land Rover corporate.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by fresher pie
White bar on the grille? If so, this is exactly the build I'd take, maybe no side-boxes. nice.
It’s not white, it’s just the standard silver finish on that bar on the grille. Non-Black Pack Defenders (among other trims and packages) have that.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:27 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist
I disagree with that. The Land Rover dealer in Buffalo, NY said they had no problem with selling to people out of state. The 3 other Defender 90’s are still there on the lot almost a month later after I got one. I live in Ohio for reference. I think it has nothing to do with Land Rover USA and more so to do with greedy dealers who are *inflating* their prices to make it seem that demand is higher than supply. About half of the dealers I called said they wouldn’t sell to out of state customers, and about half of those still have the vehicles I inquired about on their lots today. I had an Indiana dealer I called right before I got my 90. I asked if they sell out of state, they said they do for a $2500 mark up. Then I said ok, no thank you, bye. About a half hour later they called saying they will sell it to me for MSRP. GTFO here 😂. It’s all the dealers, not Land Rover corporate.
My thinking is more in-line with you on this one. I can understand if dealer try's some sort of mark up or asks for a larger deposit if you are out of state. I get what they are trying to do there. To not sell to someone altogether just seems odd, especially if the vehicle is on the lot. My last vehicles I have not purchased locally. Two of them were in the same state but one was a six hour drive away with the other only two hours. My last vehicle I got shipped from the midwest . I never contemplated that my money as an out of town buyer would be turned away.

In the age of amazon and online ordering this seems even more strange to hear of it.

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (08-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Defender Order: did you use local or out of state dealer? (USA)