Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 11:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Well done with the placement of the outlets! I've seen some that cover the window which is a bit too much for me. Will/can you share which fuse # you tapped into? Thanks for the great write up.
Likewise. I didn’t want to cover the window. I used fuse spot 1.

The following 3 users liked this post by Guapo:
curb-optional (05-29-2023), GrouseK9 (08-12-2021), LRDEF2LR (05-20-2022)
Old 08-12-2021, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

@Guapo Brilliant and exactly the setup that I'm looking to do! I have your same vehicle and this write-up gives me the info I was looking for! Did you have any problems with removing and re-attaching all the interior trim pieces (broken clips, etc?) or any trouble fishing the main power wiring to the battery under the seat? Does the ground cable go to the battery along with the power?

Thanks again for taking the time to share with us!

Old 08-12-2021, 02:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drcoop
@Guapo Brilliant and exactly the setup that I'm looking to do! I have your same vehicle and this write-up gives me the info I was looking for! Did you have any problems with removing and re-attaching all the interior trim pieces (broken clips, etc?) or any trouble fishing the main power wiring to the battery under the seat? Does the ground cable go to the battery along with the power?

Thanks again for taking the time to share with us!
A few of the interior trim pieces are a pain in the ***. I watched a number of PowerfulUK’s videos to see how he removed certain panels…and to see what he broke. I had a few clips that completely broke, but when refitting it hasn’t made any difference. Everything snugged up nicely and no rattles. But be sure to check out his videos.

Fishing the wire from the boot to the battery under the passenger seat was a pain. Go ahead and take the rear passenger seat bottom out completely. Tumble the driver side rear seat and completely remove the foam piece that’s under there. I also removed the metal piece that is below the foam piece (it’s the black sheet metal with large holes in it.) I then used an electricians fish tape to get from that seat cavity to the battery. Took a lot of cussing. There’s a thin layer of foam under the rubber flooring that my fish tape kept getting stuck on.

No ground wire but run 2 wires to the battery. The main power wire (positive)….I think I ran 6 gauge (my wiring diagram isn’t with me). AND run a small gauge wire (I ran 12 or 14 gauge) to the positive as well to be able to provide an input into the Redarc system for vehicle battery state of charge. I didn’t know about that one until I’d already put things back together.

I’ll try and take a picture and post it of the module I had to move to fit the battery in that spot. It might be covered up. I’ll report back.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Noticed you had to move and re-mount the jack and tools... where did you find those handy looking toothed rubber ratchet straps?

Old 08-12-2021, 07:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Noticed you had to move and re-mount the jack and tools... where did you find those handy looking toothed rubber ratchet straps?
Quick Fist Quick Fist

I’ve had those quick fists for a long time…never used them and simply made them work for the jack. I think that link is for the correct size, but don’t hold me to it.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

I love the simplicity of this but can't get past being concerned about enclosing a hot inverter in a sealed foam compartment.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I love the simplicity of this but can't get past being concerned about enclosing a hot inverter in a sealed foam compartment.
It's very cool, I also worry about how easy it would be to drain the main battery if I'm following the video process correctly. Unless that DC plug in the back only provides power when the engine is on? But yeah your point too, you have a big battery enclosure stacked on a big inverter sealed inside a small insulated box...

Old 08-18-2021, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling

@Guapo I'm putting together a list of items needed for a setup nearly identical to yours and really appreciate the trouble you've gone through to share with everyone! Do you by chance have a wiring diagram of your setup and/or parts list that you'd be able to share?

I'm not thinking I'll really need the RedVision external monitor and am hoping to get by with their 40A charger...

Old 08-18-2021, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling

@Guapo I'm putting together a list of items needed for a setup nearly identical to yours and really appreciate the trouble you've gone through to share with everyone! Do you by chance have a wiring diagram of your setup and/or parts list that you'd be able to share?

I'm not thinking I'll really need the RedVision external monitor and am hoping to get by with their 40A charger...
I’m traveling right now. When I get back in town, I’ll put some stuff together and pass along.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 02:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

$419 on sale at Costco. Not very elegant or integrated but I'm tempted.

Quick Reply: Dual Battery Thread