Sponsored by:

Dual Battery Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 04:11 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LRs existing 110v plug --

Originally Posted by Guapo
I’ve not been on the forum in a while, but I thought I’d share my dual battery setup. I pretty much copied Sean McWherter (Autoplicity) from a Defender owners facebook group. I have a P400, so there is loads of factory “stuff” under the load floor. I had to make a false floor to mount everything to.

I purchased a 100ah LiPo battery and the Redarc Manager 30 and Redvision distribution box. I accessed the vehicle battery the same way zac431 did in his link. I ended up wiring an ignition source as well since I couldn’t get any definitive answer on whether the alternator is a smart one or not. I tapped fuse #1 in the rear passenger fuse box. I used a volt meter to find one that is only on when the ignition is on.

P400 gadgets under the load floor. I had to move the module that is at the bottom left of the pic to be able to fit the battery. Also removed the silver mounting bracket.

Shows the plywood platform.

Hard to see in the photo, but I secured the false floor on the two sides where you see the two black brackets. And in the top right you can see a hole. I had to drill holes in the two side brackets and used nutserts to bolt it down. The one at the top right just behind the seat used an existing (unused) factory nutsert.

Final layout of devices. I have the JLR air compressor so need need to add one under here. I still need to tidy up the wiring, but I still have the refrigerator cord to wire in and I’m trying to decide if I want to permanently mount the shore power plug and solar plug or simply leave them as cords.

Three things to see in this photo. Top left you can see where I installed two USB ports (each have type C and standard) and a 12V outlet. In the middle you see the AC control dial. Next to it, I installed the plug for the inverter….so a 1000w 120v outlet. It is switched on and off with the Redvision system. Lastly is the Redvision screen. I didn’t want a permanent mount for it, so I utilized the location of the hook to mount a Ram Mount ball (6mm bolt did the trick).

What it all looks like closed up and ready.

I hope this helps others considering doing the same.
Hi! The 110 V plug that is already installed in the Defender - could that be re-wired to the auxillary battery and avoid it taxing the starter battery? Seems well positioned to run a power cord more easily out the back of the vehicle?
Bob

Old 02-05-2022, 08:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dogwind
Hi! The 110 V plug that is already installed in the Defender - could that be re-wired to the auxillary battery and avoid it taxing the starter battery? Seems well positioned to run a power cord more easily out the back of the vehicle?
Bob
I’m sure that could easily be done.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

I’m trying to decide which direction to go for our needs. Leaning towards a portable battery (like the dometic) as all I think we’d be powering is a fridge vs the full built in kit. I’m new to the overlanding idea and not sure what benefit the dual battery offers us can something portable. At least if I’m realistic with our likely uses.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:12 PM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Corsa
I’m trying to decide which direction to go for our needs. Leaning towards a portable battery (like the dometic) as all I think we’d be powering is a fridge vs the full built in kit. I’m new to the overlanding idea and not sure what benefit the dual battery offers us can something portable. At least if I’m realistic with our likely uses.
I think the main benefit of a dual battery system is dc to dc charging. Charging over cigarette plug or even the outlet is very slow. If all you are powering is a fridge and you have a large enough portable battery, this is not a concern.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Mudding

@Landy718 and others - did you ground to the chassis in the P400? I can’t tell if the 48v system is something to worry about for this.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:25 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Guapo great set up, but all of those electronics are going to generate serious heat and drastically shortened life expectancy under the rear cargo lid storage...

I’ve got my lithium battery and my set up will be mounted in the space around one of the rear cargo windows so the system doesn’t overheat or shorten life expectancy and can breathe...the battery will go where the oem lift Jack goes in the under cargo space but the charge controller and inverter will go around the window on some kind of homemade mount

Last edited by markjlr; 02-18-2022 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:40 PM
Mudding

Fair point @markjlr , though others seem to be running it without issue. If you wanted to mount on the sides, perhaps something like these panels could work on Aliexpress.

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 12:09 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

that would be perfect.

Originally Posted by Bjs1234
Fair point @markjlr , though others seem to be running it without issue. If you wanted to mount on the sides, perhaps something like these panels could work on Aliexpress.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:59 PM
Mudding

I am starting on my dual battery install this weekend. For the RedArc BCDC, if I'm not connecting solar -- do I just cap off the yellow wire with tape or shrink wrap? I'm assuming so but wanted to double check what others have done.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:25 AM
Mudding
Received 111 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjs1234
I am starting on my dual battery install this weekend. For the RedArc BCDC, if I'm not connecting solar -- do I just cap off the yellow wire with tape or shrink wrap? I'm assuming so but wanted to double check what others have done.
You should be fine just leaving it disconnected and heat shrinked or capped. I did that with mine while I was figuring out how to run wires for solar.

The following users liked this post:
Bjs1234 (02-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Dual Battery Thread