2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Winch Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022 | 03:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DefXBill
Mine is perfect, make sure the camera is flush.
Ditto.

Old 06-06-2022 | 04:30 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply @DefXBill and @NoGaBiker , I will mess with the angle a bit to make sure it sits flush and see if that fixes it. Still also waiting on the custom bracket so I can re-install my metal skid plate, hopefully that is available soon!

Old 06-07-2022 | 04:15 PM
Mudding

I used the factory set up as there wasn't an option in 20. I love the Zeon 10S winch. If you're going to go with the factory setup, here's what I wish I would have known:
1. I saved money buying the actual winch from Rovers North instead of LR, but the LR supplied winch comes with a control box that power cycles the winch when starting the car. Because you will not be able to reach the power switch on the winch this makes sure your winch is ready to go when you need it. The winch will go to "sleep" after some amount of time, so every time I'm going to head off road, I must pop the hood, disconnect the winch, and then reconnect it. Had I purchased the LR supplied winch, I wouldn't have to do this.
2. It's a lot of work to install, I love to work on my own truck, but it took much more time than expected. If you're going have someone else install it, expect a high labor quote.
3. Although I'm not a huge fan of the plastic, it actually hides the steel behind it, which is fairly stout, but ugly. The center bar on the front plastic hides the front camera cabling and allows the camera to be mounted at the proper angle so your cameras all work as designed.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022 | 04:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DonMitsu
1. I saved money buying the actual winch from Rovers North instead of LR, but the LR supplied winch comes with a control box that power cycles the winch when starting the car. Because you will not be able to reach the power switch on the winch this makes sure your winch is ready to go when you need it. The winch will go to "sleep" after some amount of time, so every time I'm going to head off road, I must pop the hood, disconnect the winch, and then reconnect it. Had I purchased the LR supplied winch, I wouldn't have to do this.
Hmmm... I don't understand about this going to sleep thing. Perhaps you could go into more detail?

I had a Zeon 10S on a Jeep for years without any going to sleep, and I've had a 12S on the front of the Defender since November and it hasn't gone to sleep yet that I'm aware of. It's mounted with a LK8 kit -- is the sleep feature something JLR engineered into the installation?

Currently, to use the winch I remove the little grill (two acorn nuts that you remove by hand), plug the remote in, switch to freespool and pull out the line, switch to Motorized Spool and push button on remote to activate winch.

Interested to hear what the process is on yours.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2022 | 10:37 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hmmm... I don't understand about this going to sleep thing. Perhaps you could go into more detail?

I had a Zeon 10S on a Jeep for years without any going to sleep, and I've had a 12S on the front of the Defender since November and it hasn't gone to sleep yet that I'm aware of. It's mounted with a LK8 kit -- is the sleep feature something JLR engineered into the installation?

Currently, to use the winch I remove the little grill (two acorn nuts that you remove by hand), plug the remote in, switch to freespool and pull out the line, switch to Motorized Spool and push button on remote to activate winch.

Interested to hear what the process is on yours.

Thanks!
On the Platinum series winches (the winch LR sales and is made to fit the winch mount) the remote is completely wireless, there is no way to "plug the remote in" even switching to free spool is handled by the wireless remote. This is really cool, but if you don't use it regularly the wireless remote loses it's connection to the winch and the winch must be power cycled (turned off and then back on) to re-establish the connection.

Old 06-08-2022 | 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench

On the Platinum series winches (the winch LR sales and is made to fit the winch mount) the remote is completely wireless, there is no way to "plug the remote in" even switching to free spool is handled by the wireless remote. This is really cool, but if you don't use it regularly the wireless remote loses it's connection to the winch and the winch must be power cycled (turned off and then back on) to re-establish the connection.
Ahhh, yes. EXACTLY why I didn't buy the Platinum when I got my first Zeon in 2016. My exact words were, "With my luck with BT connectivity it will be a nightmare of unconnectedness precisely when I need it to connect. I'll just go with a wire."

My understanding is that you can still use a wired remote with the Platinum, though, right? I mean, if something as simple as the AAA batteries in the wireless remote have died and you're in the outback high-centered in a mud-bog, there needs to be a way to operate the winch.

Old 06-08-2022 | 12:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ahhh, yes. EXACTLY why I didn't buy the Platinum when I got my first Zeon in 2016. My exact words were, "With my luck with BT connectivity it will be a nightmare of unconnectedness precisely when I need it to connect. I'll just go with a wire."

My understanding is that you can still use a wired remote with the Platinum, though, right? I mean, if something as simple as the AAA batteries in the wireless remote have died and you're in the outback high-centered in a mud-bog, there needs to be a way to operate the winch.
There is no port for a wired remote, or I would have definitely made a place to access it in the bumper. The remote is USB rechargeable, and comes with a 15' USB cord when the batteries are dead. But there is in fact no other way to operate the winch.

Old 06-16-2022 | 05:10 PM
6th Gear

By the way, to close off the topic on camera angle on the winch kit, the camera will eventually digitally re-align itself, even if the camera angle is off. It took mine about a week and a long highway/offroad trip, and now it's tracking and working fine, despite not being quite flush. I guess it just takes a few days if the angle is off.

Old 07-06-2022 | 07:23 AM
Mudding

Did you ever post pics of your OEM install? I have an X-Dynamic, and wondering how it would change its appearance, considering all the black bumper pieces.

Old 07-06-2022 | 07:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Trauma
Did you ever post pics of your OEM install? I have an X-Dynamic, and wondering how it would change its appearance, considering all the black bumper pieces.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Factory Winch Kit