Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front USB and USB-C Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 11:30 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front USB and USB-C Not Working

I have had my new Defender for about a month and now the front USB and USB-C (the ones under the center console) are not working. They do not provide a charge for a device and Apple Carplay is not working. Has anyone else had this problem or know of an easy fix?

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I watched a video from Powerful UK where they simply ordered a new (whatever you call that thing that has the slots for usb c and usb). They did it because they needed a new SIM card or something. Perhaps check out their YouTube channel for advice? I have not had an issue with that myself but my cordless charge pad near the armrest stopped working with the current iOS on my phone. Last year LR was rolling out updates almost monthly it seemed and most of the issues I’ve had were addressed with that but this year I’ve only had one update back in Jan. I think. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2021, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I’ve had an issue where if I plug my phone in before I turn on the car, it works fine. But if I turn the car on and then try to plug my phone in it won’t charge or connect to CarPlay. It is as though once it is on and had picked another connection method like Bluetooth, it won’t connect via USB.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My biggest issue with CarPlay is that it works fine until someone calls me then it flashes with green lines and what not when they call and after. I’m not a fan of CarPlay myself, I like the LR software better.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:25 PM
BBS
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it back to the dealer, my 2021 had the same issue in addition to the auto stop start not working, and after some patches and updates, all seems good so far!

Old 05-23-2021, 05:55 AM
AUH
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you find a fix for this other than taking it to the dealer? Mine developed the same problem today after 4,000kms of working fine.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:16 AM
AUH
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that face a similar problem, FYI mine has started working after parking the Defender overnight. It wasn't working all day yesterday over a few trips. Both USB ports and the Nano SIM slot didn't work at all. Hoping it was a glitch that has resolved itself.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this is going to sound crazy but I may have stumbled onto a fix. I have a 2021 full size Range Rover and had it delivered new to my home by the dealer. Upon delivery I was disappointed to find that apple CarPlay want enabled. After following the instructions and reading all the blogs nothing worked. I called the dealership and they couldn’t fit me in for a few days....ugh!

Anyway the next day I installed the Land Rover Remote app and setup my car. The very next day like magic CarPlay suddenly worked!

Fast forward a few months, my CarPlay stopped working for a few days. On a lark I opened the app and just poked around making sure everything looked good on the app. Next morning CarPlay started working again.

Note: it wasn’t instantaneous, it took to the next morning for it to work again. Coincidence? I don’t know. But if you try it and it works for you too, let me know.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:51 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

The usb center console can easily pop out with a small screw driver or butter knife . Check to see if it’s plugged in. I also have an extra usb center slot,without the SIM card if you want to make me an offer. I bought the usb center slot with a SIM card to upgrade to in car WiFi.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:56 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1107
The usb center console can easily pop out with a small screw driver or butter knife . Check to see if it’s plugged in. I also have an extra usb center slot,without the SIM card if you want to make me an offer. I bought the usb center slot with a SIM card to upgrade to in car WiFi.
Sorry to hijack, but you were able to convert a vehicle without factory wifi to having wifi by replacing the usb plate to one that has a SIM card? Was it plug and play? Very interested as the vehicle I settled on was ONLY missing this feature that I wanted to have....

Quick Reply: Front USB and USB-C Not Working