Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frontrunner Rack for D90

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 04:01 PM
7th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Frontrunner Rack for D90

Just got off the phone with Frontrunner. They currently don't have a rack for the 90 like they do the 110, but told me that the only thing holding them back from offering one is not having a vehicle to fit it on.

My Defender wont be delivered until late February at the earliest, but I told them if they still hadn't found one to test fit with by then we could use mine.

Either way, I'm going to amend my order to remove the factory rack and tracks, since Frontrunner assured me that there is a 100% chance they'll be making a similar offering to their 110 rack for the 90. I plan to use their RTT quick release system to mount/unmount a tent (a feature I promised my wife, since it'll double duty as her daily driver).

Thought that might be useful information for any other 90 owners considering rack options. Long story short, Frontrunner will have a rack for the 90 as soon as they have a car to develop it on, which at the latest will be whenever mine is delivered.

The following 3 users liked this post by airthirtytwo:
gannee2001 (10-14-2021), Lnberger (10-12-2021), Nanozic (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 11:40 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

the smaller slim line that mounts in the oem rail should fit and fill out the roof better than it does in the 110. just adjust the mounting feet

as for removing your RTT easily. i thought this was something that was easy. with the height and weight of the RTT it’s a 4 person job.

i had a roof nest condo xl and couldn’t get the car in the garage. the tent wasn’t worth leaving the car outside especially if your not using the rent more than 3-5 times a year. if you have some type of hoist system then your good.

i ended up selling the tent.

but a word of advice, the rack makes a decent amount of wind noise no matter how far you push it back, fairing etc.

people say they could hardly hear it. this is true if you drive max 65, go pass that it starts howling.

i have decided to take mine off for now. i have messed with it enough that it’s easy for me to install when needed which is less than a handful times a year.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:18 AM
7th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
the smaller slim line that mounts in the oem rail should fit and fill out the roof better than it does in the 110. just adjust the mounting feet

as for removing your RTT easily. i thought this was something that was easy. with the height and weight of the RTT it’s a 4 person job.

i had a roof nest condo xl and couldn’t get the car in the garage. the tent wasn’t worth leaving the car outside especially if your not using the rent more than 3-5 times a year. if you have some type of hoist system then your good.

i ended up selling the tent.

but a word of advice, the rack makes a decent amount of wind noise no matter how far you push it back, fairing etc.

people say they could hardly hear it. this is true if you drive max 65, go pass that it starts howling.

i have decided to take mine off for now. i have messed with it enough that it’s easy for me to install when needed which is less than a handful times a year.
The rack and RTT are primary reasons why we ordered the Defender in the first place. I'll be using a hoist to mount/unmount using the quick release system so I'm not too worried about that part. As for wind noise, our current rig is a Nissan Xterra with a permanent soft shell tent and a LED light bar so we're pretty well used to that as well.

Only thing I'm concerned about is having amended my order for no OEM rails, since that means I won't be able to use the side mounted gear carrier, which I'd like to have... but ultimately the tent setup is the important part for us so I guess I have to live with it.