LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with the Rhino Rack Backbone Pioneer Platform?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience with the Rhino Rack Backbone Pioneer Platform?

Hi all -

I tried searching the forum but came up with spotty results. Basically, I have the factory extended (long) rail system. What I am trying to do is make use of that investment by finding a roof rack that integrates with the long rail system (so I do not have to get rid of the factory rails). The only product I could find that matches my use case is the Rhino Rack Backbone Pioneer Platform.

So...my question is does anyone have experience with or know someone who has the Rhino Rack Backbone Pioneer Platform? What is their review of the rack? Is there a lot of wind noise? etc. etc.

Many thanks in advance!

2013 LR4 - last of the V8s

Old 06-28-2018, 08:13 PM
6th Gear

You need to completely remove your factory railing to fit the Rhino Rack Backbone, so it doesn't matter if you have the full length or half length. The Backbone completely replaces the OEM railing.

I have the full length Rhino Rack (84" x 49"). It is fairly noisy but it’s not unbearable. I have gotten used to it. It's also a pretty cool looking rack and nicely made.

I also recently got the new pioneer rack wind fairing. Rhino rack assured me that it will fit without any issue. Well it fit, but the wind fairing sits on top of the sunroof making it inoperable. So they basically used me as a guinea pig and now my emails are going unanswered to return the wind fairing.

So with that said, be warned that Rhino Rack's customer service is complete garbage.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:32 PM
1st Gear
Default 🤦🏻*♂️

I’m searching for a rack to, and Canada is tough to get anything as the border fees and exchange rate make it expensive to get any of the good ones.
id come across a CAD supplier that sold the Rhino and I was going to ask the same question.