2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frontrunner Rack with OEM roof rails

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I always joke that I have a hard time hearing because of too many explosions in my youth (shooting firearms without ear protection). So maybe it's me, but I'm not noticing a lot of wind noise from my roof rack. I did notice the A-Pillar noise, though, so maybe my hearing is still ok. I fixed it and we're good again.

I've heard a few folks having issues with their roof racks but I've also talked to other owners who thinks it's fine. So perhaps it's just a good old Land Rover build quality issue. Here's the triage list I would do if/when the noise comes up:
1. Check/retighten EVERY connection up there. One of my feet was REALLY loose and I heard it rattling. If these are loose the wind vibration could be contributing. There are two bolts holding each foot to the rails and two bolts holding a rectangular mounting block at each foot to the rack. Tighten them all! I think they were 5mm or 6mm hex. Can't remember.
2. Check/retighten the roof rails themselves. I've heard those can rattle go loose.
3. There are black trim pieces in each cross member. I hear many talk about it's missing causes wind noise. Check to make sure that black liner is in there on each cross member and not flapping around.
4. I operate under the (mistaken?) belief that the rack itself should be relatively quiet if it is correctly mounted. Before I bought an entirely new roof rack, I would go to the PITA of totally disassembling and reassembling. If that thing isn't in proper plane (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say: properly parallel to the vehicle) the wind vortexes could be an issue. Yeah, it's a PITA, but I'd do it before paying ~$2k for a new one.
5. If it's still a nightmare, PM me and you can buy mine! It really isn't noisy. However, I would take your cash and buy a 3d party version. Likely the Front Runner variant or Voyager. Not because of sound, but because I like the functionality of the side rails for storage. Ok, this is actually just a recommendation that if all else fails, don't get the OEM replacement. But that's me based on function not sound.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:18 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of my kids has a 2008 Subaru Forester with a small lift, skid plates, Geolanders, Thule bars with basket and fairing, and a few other mods... This car has almost no wind noise. You can drive 70 mph with windows down and enjoy the day, not a hurricane. I'm hard pressed to hear any noise from the (unloaded) basket at any speed. Sorry to pollute the thread with something other than a LR, I just thought it worth mentioning that at least some applications of roof top accessories work pretty well.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:26 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Update for you all; I installed the FrontRunner fairing today. It made a night and day difference. You still know it's up there, but none of the buffering, obscenely loud noise I was getting at 50 mph+ before. I took it as high as 80 mph today with no issues.

Several years ago I had a set of Yakima crossbars with 2 bike carriers (fork mount). Regularly had 2 MTBs up there, so I'm no stranger to what kind of noise to expect. The FR now sounds very similar to that setup (with no bikes), which makes me happy.

I'm still open to the possibility that my install isn't perfect, and there is surely more tuning which can be done, but I wanted to share as the fairing made a huuuuuge difference.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:01 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

the noise definitely gets louder the faster you drive. for me i cruise at 75+. under 70 it’s manageable but i don’t drive that speed. i have the full fairing and it really didn’t help much.
i spent the weekend moving the rack as far back as possible and that was the biggest improvement. the rack still makes noise and prob the same amount but i just can hear it as much being much further back. my end of the rack is now flush with my tail gate.

for those that say it doesn’t make noise that’s hard to believe. how could the rack not make noise. square edged box sitting high on top of your car.

i had thule aero bars and thule bike racks on top of my x5m. i barely could hear them up there

lets face it. the defender is the most un aerodynamic design out there. if your not getting noise from your rack your getting it from your windshield or big side mirrors.

love most about the car but do wish it was quieter. i am on the phone a lot for work

Originally Posted by ElVerde
Update for you all; I installed the FrontRunner fairing today. It made a night and day difference. You still know it's up there, but none of the buffering, obscenely loud noise I was getting at 50 mph+ before. I took it as high as 80 mph today with no issues.

Several years ago I had a set of Yakima crossbars with 2 bike carriers (fork mount). Regularly had 2 MTBs up there, so I'm no stranger to what kind of noise to expect. The FR now sounds very similar to that setup (with no bikes), which makes me happy.

I'm still open to the possibility that my install isn't perfect, and there is surely more tuning which can be done, but I wanted to share as the fairing made a huuuuuge difference.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:04 AM
btb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, car looks good, I love the steel white rims, ours is D300 so couldn't go the 18"

I'm close to ordering this rack, cars been on order since May we're just waiting, original delivery has been pushed out another 3 to 4 months so i sort of want to get things like the rack ordered and ready to go straight on so i don't have luxury or measuring up right now

with this kit do you think there is provision for it to be lower and moved forward or back be either sit in-front of the rear aerial or with the aerial sort of enclosed by they rack? i'm thinking I could design and machine up my own custom feet and bring the rack right down low to the roof line? I've seen 2 of these same front runner rack set ups here on cars in Australia and I'd personally love it sat that bit lower, does it sit this high just to clear the rear vision camera in the aerial? or is there another reason i'm missing?

we do not have the rear camera rear vision camera, but is the reverse camera also in the aerial? i also have no plans to use the oem side ladder or box so mounting those off the oem rails is not happening, i'm just going to buy one of the front runner collapsible ladders and clip in set and store that inside the car we we go away.

Originally Posted by ElVerde
Just installed mine...love everything about it except, wow, it sure does make a ton of wind noise.

I don't have a sunroof, so I ordered the $200(!) Fairing today in the hopes it quiets down. The little deflectors it shipped with don't do a darn thing, as far as I can tell.

Am I crazy or is anyone else's really loud?

Old 11-08-2021, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Just to clarify, you don’t remove the roof rails to install the Voyager. You do remove and then reinstall the roof rail bolts. I had no problems doing this, but others have. You have to remove the roof rails entirely with the long FR.
Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
I still cannot decide if I like the short rack or not. I definitely like the price compared to the oem, long FR, and voyager but something about the proportions bugs me.

also as far as i can tell you are looking at a custom ladder solution with the long front runner, so that sucks. The voyager rack + ladder is probably my favorite looking option of all but at ~$3k plus the rail removal uncertainty…idk

Old 11-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by btb
Hi, car looks good, I love the steel white rims, ours is D300 so couldn't go the 18"

I'm close to ordering this rack, cars been on order since May we're just waiting, original delivery has been pushed out another 3 to 4 months so i sort of want to get things like the rack ordered and ready to go straight on so i don't have luxury or measuring up right now

with this kit do you think there is provision for it to be lower and moved forward or back be either sit in-front of the rear aerial or with the aerial sort of enclosed by they rack? i'm thinking I could design and machine up my own custom feet and bring the rack right down low to the roof line? I've seen 2 of these same front runner rack set ups here on cars in Australia and I'd personally love it sat that bit lower, does it sit this high just to clear the rear vision camera in the aerial? or is there another reason i'm missing?

we do not have the rear camera rear vision camera, but is the reverse camera also in the aerial? i also have no plans to use the oem side ladder or box so mounting those off the oem rails is not happening, i'm just going to buy one of the front runner collapsible ladders and clip in set and store that inside the car we we go away.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't make shorter "feet". Instructions say to mount as far back as possible, but you could lower and mount in front of the sharkfin, there is plenty of room in the rails to slide everything further. I think going further backward wouldn't work...it would hang over awkwardly.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:50 AM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Like a buddy said about my Jeep many years ago when I complained about the gas mileage "it's basically a brick wall going down the highway"

Old 04-09-2022, 04:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Am I missing something obvious on the install of the L663 OEM track adapters for the Frontrunner feet? They are too big to drop in to the slots in the track and also won't fit when I try to angle one side in first.