Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gondwana vs Silicon Silver - picking a color for my 110

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 06:18 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gondwana vs Silicon Silver - picking a color for my 110

I would love to see pictures of the two colors and more importantly, members thoughts after seeing the two colors.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Steven -- there's a lot of color shift due to lighting conditions (overcast, bright sun, etc.). I found the best way to get a feel for the colors was to look for "real-life" dealer photos on cars.com (Search Land Rover/ Defender). Searching YouTube and Google with those terms also will probably give you some good results. The key is avoiding the stock Land Rover photos, which don't necessarily give the most accurate depiction.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-10-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 06:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the Gondwana Stone is a much richer color and certainly more pleasing to look at than just another Silver truck...
and people always ask about the Gondwana color

The following 4 users liked this post by DefenderSmitty:
DrPizz (08-21-2023), Kev M (07-10-2021), robn (05-25-2023), this_account_is_mt (05-24-2023)
Old 04-30-2021, 11:38 AM
Winching
Received 245 Likes on 173 Posts

IMO you need to see the color in person to make your decision. I realize that might be challenging if there are none available in that color. I do find some colors look different depending on the lighting they are in. My wife has steel grey metallic Mercedes and it just looks dark blue to me.

When the my20 defenders came out the Gondwana stone was my top choice. When the my21 defenders were released my top choice moved to Carpathian Grey. I originally ordered a Carpathian Grey my21 but when the order got converted to a my22 I changed my order to the new XS model that did not offer Carpathian Grey. After seeing a vehicle in Silicon Silver I decided to go with that. Its not like a regular silver and I like that it looks a little different. To me its a like a sandy silver, so sorta brown meets silver.

I really liked the zanzibar color on the LR4. I feel like the gondwana might be most similar to it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Moretti:
angelboing (05-03-2021), ColoradoDefender (07-10-2021), Simon14 (05-19-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 06:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
To me its a like a sandy silver, so sorta brown meets silver.
It sounds like you're describing a champagne color?

I was pretty much set on switching my build to this because I was stuck between Eiger and Hakuba. This seemed perfect but "brown" concerns me.

The following users liked this post:
Simon14 (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 222 Likes on 135 Posts

To me personally the silver is a lot of extra money to pay vs the eiger, I paid extra for the carpathian and I question even that move but it's sufficiently different when paired up with the white roof to set it apart. I have seen eiger up close and it looks very nice as does the gondwana. I don't think I've seen the silver on the lot yet. Between the two you mentioned I would probably go for the gondwana however if I were leaning slightly more to the silver vs the gondwana that's when I'd have to jump off to the eiger and put the difference in cost into a contrast roof and / or black pack. Plenty of options. If you have the money to burn some of the colors with the protective wrap on look very cool. Several thousand more for that.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Chief65
To me personally the silver is a lot of extra money to pay vs the eiger, I paid extra for the carpathian and I question even that move but it's sufficiently different when paired up with the white roof to set it apart. I have seen eiger up close and it looks very nice as does the gondwana. I don't think I've seen the silver on the lot yet. Between the two you mentioned I would probably go for the gondwana however if I were leaning slightly more to the silver vs the gondwana that's when I'd have to jump off to the eiger and put the difference in cost into a contrast roof and / or black pack. Plenty of options. If you have the money to burn some of the colors with the protective wrap on look very cool. Several thousand more for that.

Eiger looks stunning in person with the satin wrap. Without the wrap, I don't personally love it. Reminds me of an old Nissan.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 222 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Eiger looks stunning in person with the satin wrap. Without the wrap, I don't personally love it. Reminds me of an old Nissan.
Speaking of eiger I had one blow past me going about 85mph yesterday, apart from my own it's only the third defender I've seen anyone driving in the wild. He had a black contrast roof and the black 19in rims on it, no spare tire cover, it was a 110. I said hey check it out that defender going 85, my son said oh I thought it was a jeep. I said really? lol in his defense he didn't have his glasses on.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Chief65
Speaking of eiger I had one blow past me going about 85mph yesterday, apart from my own it's only the third defender I've seen anyone driving in the wild. He had a black contrast roof and the black 19in rims on it, no spare tire cover, it was a 110. I said hey check it out that defender going 85, my son said oh I thought it was a jeep. I said really? lol in his defense he didn't have his glasses on.
It's funny because, to me, the dark colors (black and Eiger) don't show much contrast between the body and the trim. It's really noticable at the back where, without that pop of contrast, it does look a little more like a Jeep.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:56 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Moretti
IMO you need to see the color in person to make your decision. I realize that might be challenging if there are none available in that color. I do find some colors look different depending on the lighting they are in. My wife has steel grey metallic Mercedes and it just looks dark blue to me.

When the my20 defenders came out the Gondwana stone was my top choice. When the my21 defenders were released my top choice moved to Carpathian Grey. I originally ordered a Carpathian Grey my21 but when the order got converted to a my22 I changed my order to the new XS model that did not offer Carpathian Grey. After seeing a vehicle in Silicon Silver I decided to go with that. Its not like a regular silver and I like that it looks a little different. To me its a like a sandy silver, so sorta brown meets silver.

I really liked the zanzibar color on the LR4. I feel like the gondwana might be most similar to it.

Thankyou! That Gondwana/roof/wheel/side step combo is what I’ve been trying to find an image of. You’ve just sold it for me!

The following 2 users liked this post by Simon14:
curb-optional (05-24-2023), Kev M (07-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Gondwana vs Silicon Silver - picking a color for my 110