Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got stuck on my 16 degree driveway

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 04:22 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Got stuck on my 16 degree driveway

Spent 15min trying to get up my driveway.
16 degree incline for about 20 feet before it levels off, and about 5" of wet, slippery snow.

I tried going in at angle. No luck.
Put it in Snow/Gravel/Mud mode. No luck.
Put in low range. No luck.
Tried going up grass (with snow on it.) No luck.
Finally, backed into neighbors driveway accross from mine and got a running start and hit it at about 15mph and got up.

I'm not an offroader, so am wondering if there is a strategy to succeeding up a slippery 20 ft long 16 degree hill like mine. The truck is capable. im the weak link.

Was fresh snow before my attempts.

Many tracks after many failed attempts

Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure

Old 01-09-2024, 05:49 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Some things to try next time

1. Air down your tires to a lower PSI. Try 20 PSI.

2. Swap the tires for a dedicated snow tire, or an all terrain that excels in snow. Look for the 3 peak mountain symbol

3. Consider installing a metal hook on your garage door, and a winch on your truck. Then you can always pull yourself into place. Haha.

The following users liked this post:
clubguy (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 06:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Momentum

I live in MN - It looks like your picture 6 months of the year here. 16 degrees is steep, and those tires are all terrain, jack of all trades, master of none.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Canadian here,
Those tires are not good for slippery snow.

lightning (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 07:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TeddyG
Canadian here,
Those tires are not good for slippery snow.
yeah, agreed. I have Discoverer Rugged Treks on my Disco 2 and they go up the driveway with zero issue.

Guess I gotta swap my tires.

I have a set of BFG KOTs i can put on. They should be good.

JMF20 (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 09:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Nokian outpost might a bit better.
Im running X-Ice on my dedicated 18" winter rims, couldn't get anything else for that load rating, Nokians non existent.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:55 AM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you try Low gear? Easy and cheap solution is also snow socks, if you don’t get snow often enough for proper snow tires. 50 bucks on amazon and work wonders.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

The OEM Wrangler tires are terrible in snow, especially wet slushy snow. I'm running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 winter tires on both our Defenders and they have been great in slush, deep snow and ice.

I noticed a set of Michelin winter tires on wheels posted in the classified section: https://landroverforums.com/forum/market/119741
I see they are listed as local pickup in CO. But I bought a set of 20" wheels from someone in the classified section that also noted "local pickup only". I found a UPS Store near the seller and called them to confirm they would be willing to package and ship the wheels to me. I paid the seller by Venmo and had them drop off the wheels at the UPS Store, gave the UPS Store my credit card number and the wheels arrived a few days later.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Parukas
Did you try Low gear? Easy and cheap solution is also snow socks, if you don’t get snow often enough for proper snow tires. 50 bucks on amazon and work wonders.
I was in low range offroad mode.
I've never heard of snow socks - I'll look into it. Thanks

Old 01-10-2024, 09:39 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by PaulLR
The OEM Wrangler tires are terrible in snow, especially wet slushy snow. I'm running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 winter tires on both our Defenders and they have been great in slush, deep snow and ice.

I noticed a set of Michelin winter tires on wheels posted in the classified section: https://landroverforums.com/forum/market/119741
I see they are listed as local pickup in CO. But I bought a set of 20" wheels from someone in the classified section that also noted "local pickup only". I found a UPS Store near the seller and called them to confirm they would be willing to package and ship the wheels to me. I paid the seller by Venmo and had them drop off the wheels at the UPS Store, gave the UPS Store my credit card number and the wheels arrived a few days later.
I can confirm the OEM Wranglers are horrible on snow.
For now, I'll try swapping into my BFG KTOs. Will be better, though I understand not as great as a Nokian or pure snow tire.

The aggravating part about it was when two of my neighbors came out to watch the show as I struggled to get into my Driveway. (They drive a Buick sedan, VW Atlas and Subarus and have flat driveways.) When I finally managed to get into my driveway, both guys just had to walk over and comment on how the "big tough Land Rover" wasn't so tough afterall. I explained to both that the truck is more than capable, but it was my street tires and my own lack of offroad skill that was the problem. But they wouldn't budge. They both laughed and said I paid too much for a "tough looking" car. I wanted to punch them.

Last edited by Trailmix; 01-10-2024 at 09:47 AM.
paule (01-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Got stuck on my 16 degree driveway