2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you guys painted the mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 12:47 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I think the color of the black is narvik black too. My dealer said it was santorini black hence that's what I painted the flaps with.

Old 04-02-2023, 10:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,196 Likes on 645 Posts

Hmm.. I'd say there is *no way* these mudflaps will hold paint.
They flex quite a bit. The paint will crack up. Even if flex additive added.
​​​​​​​
Also, I don't believe they are made of ABS plastic. They are made of rubber.

I've got them on my car. They are rubbery... and very flexible. Have never had luck painting something like that.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are still on order so I can't check for a Material designation tag on them, but from most of the ones of have seen they are listed as ABS, ABS can be flexible as well. Here is a link with a description:

https://vulkanautomotive.com/product...r-mud-flap-kit

But most likely there are different versions out there.

Old 04-02-2023, 02:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,196 Likes on 645 Posts

I know these are not ABS plastic on mine. So I went outside, looked at my mudflaps (Genuine Land Rover) on my car now, and they say "TPO" below the part numbers. So, I googled it:

Thermoplastic Polyolefins (TPO or TPE-O) -- TPO compounds are resin blends of polypropylene (PP) and un-crosslinked EPDM rubber and polyethylene. They are characterised by high impact resistance, low density and good chemical resistance.

The following users liked this post:
Defendit.. (04-06-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 06:51 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Hmm.. I'd say there is *no way* these mudflaps will hold paint.
They flex quite a bit. The paint will crack up. Even if flex additive added.

Also, I don't believe they are made of ABS plastic. They are made of rubber.

I've got them on my car. They are rubbery... and very flexible. Have never had luck painting something like that.
​​​​​​​no peeling on mine.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Prior to wheel arches and wheels.
Yes I did it all in Santorini black....

Old 10-15-2023, 09:23 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
I can see the minor improvement over the factory supplied finish, but looking at the photos, it seems like all that work ainvolved in painting the flaps, then clear coating them, falls short when seeing them installed next to the high gloss finish of the lower trim pieces. If someone comes out with mud flaps or extended wheel arches in the same material/finish, I would definitely purchase them. I would love to upgrade to the extended arches, but the matte finish would take away from the high gloss trim pieces that they are juxtaposed with. And I had inquired at a paint shop the cost to have the matte arches painted, and the cost was laughable. If I’m going to be robbed, I would feel better if a gun was presented, instead of handing my money over voluntarily. If anyone knows of a supplier of NAS market gloss black extended wheel arches, please provide the info. EXCEPT if they are from Alibaba or Aliexpress. Bought one measly item from Aliexpress, and besides the interminable wait with no information or response to my requests for info, ever since my order I have been bombarded daily by scam emails, phishing attempts, and fraudulent emails posing as legitimate businesses. Several of these, EVERY day. Buyer beware.
Have u considered these? Color matched to your vehicle

https://huntersprestige.com/collecti...t-multi-colors

Old 10-15-2023, 10:50 AM
Winching
Received 626 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by dshark1
Have u considered these? Color matched to your vehicle

https://huntersprestige.com/collecti...t-multi-colors
Thanks for the link. I actually was at Hunters Prestige website yesterday and noticed those, as I had desired the wide arches after receiving my Defender, but they were mostly in the matte finish and I couldn’t justify the incredible amount of money a local shop wanted to paint them gloss black. These are nice, especially the color matched ones. Only glaring shortcoming I see on their website is that these don’t have side marker lights, which are required in the NAS market. Not that I think any law enforcement would ever notice or enforce, as there seems to be zero enforcement of the rules of the road here in Southern Florida, but I would rather stay within the laws. Hey, what’s to say if you get in an accident and some ambulance chasing lawyer for the other party claims that your ‘unlawful’ modification contributed to the cause of the accident and you are being sued? I’m not a gambler, so getting sued for such an incident doesn’t appeal to me. But everyone has their own risk limits, just saying.