Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads up on the Heads Up Display

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 07:39 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I have HUD and would absolutely order it again.
Same here! My D90 wasn't a custom order so the one I bought had the HUD. I was indifferent at first but now if I'm driving a different vehicle I absolutely miss it. Kind of like a heated steering wheel... Don't need it but once you have it you don't want to go without

The following users liked this post:
swajames (12-10-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bakerman
What other elements are you looking for in a HUD?
Well, it would be nice if it showed:
- turn by turn navigation inc countdown
- distance to empty
- outside air temp
- fuel gauge
- clock
- forward traffic alert
Just the usual information I've had on previous vehicles, otherwise it's not really Heads Up.
However (caveat) if I'm doing something wrong in my settings, please advise.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
- distance to empty
- outside air temp
- fuel gauge
- clock
- forward traffic alert
Just the usual information I've had on previous vehicles, otherwise it's not really Heads Up.
You may well be. Navigation is shown, as are driver assistance warnings etc and more. You can customize the information displayed on the HUD, perhaps yours hasn't been set up.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:11 PM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
- distance to empty
- outside air temp
- fuel gauge
- clock
- forward traffic alert
No MPH?? Everything else aren't things you need to see at a glance - navigation is much better on the big screen, and tells you turns over the speakers. But none of this matters as can't get it anyway.

Elektrapops (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 11:02 AM
4wd Low
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HUD Avail March of 2022

Just giving an update.

Local dealer in OH gave me an allocation for the 23MY Defender 110 X- Dynamic SE I’ve built online in February — last amendable date of 3/26/2022 and delivery date of 8/29/2022. Just this week, she commented that I could add HUD with “no additional delays to build” but could still not add the Clearsight Mirror due to chip shortage issues. I went ahead and added HUD. We’ll see if that ends up being reality, but wanted to share an update to this thread!

GrouseK9 (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
No MPH?? Everything else aren't things you need to see at a glance - navigation is much better on the big screen, and tells you turns over the speakers. But none of this matters as can't get it anyway.
the poster obviously had no idea what was actually available with the HUD… My general advice in discussions like this is don’t let others retrospectively justifying why their own cars don’t have a particular option influence your decisions on yours.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
Trauma, this Pivi HUD is pretty bad. And it's such a let down for me because the one I had in my F-Pace was way more informative. The whole point of HUD is not just to see what the MPH is, it's to alert you to the many other factors involved in driving, crucially, without taking your eyes off the road.

This new HUD sucks: One example, the next road turn is displayed when you're about 100yds away. That is absolutely useless on a 50+mph highway.

I'm hoping JLR will see sense and update the HUD settings to include much needed info.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

HUD's in general are useful, but too much information is actually useless and borders on unsafe. I have flown several aircraft with HUD's. For our purposes you have several de-clutter settings, clutter is exactly what most of that information is. It tends to cause your attention to be slightly distracted hunting for the symbol your needing at the time. ACM, it will display the target your tracking, kind of the reason it exists in the first place. You need the AOA ladder to ensure you don't depart from controlled flight. In ground attack, it give steering to the target, right/left and a symbol that you want to pass through for weapon release, with a cue when to pickle it (you can set it to automatically release as well). It really shines in landing in IMC. Your left/right and glide path are displayed as lines. What is super useful is the inertial three second fly through point. If you place that where you want to touch down, it is pretty much where you will hit. When your in the clag flying down to minimums, you need to have your eyes come off the gauges at minimums since you cannot land unless you can see some element of the landing zone, light, lines and so on, to legally continue. The AOA is really important on the carrier, since in some aircraft, a 1° drop in you nose can cause the hook to move up 10' so you skip a wire, not so good. However, on the E2 for example I only had a 60's vintage indexer display of AOA, just colored lights. That seemed to get me on the deck just A-OK hundreds of times. The HUD just made it a little prettier.

We don't actually drive with that precision, essentially putting the car through a basketball hoop. I find speed alone pretty useful, since in the middle of nowhere, your speed tends to creep up to the felony level pretty easily. Speed limit signs are actually annoying, but I suppose in little speed trap towns it would be life saving. I have found that if you use CarPlay it does not give the turn cues, only if you use built in nav. I also find the gear setting super in the mountains on curvy roads. Not sure what else I would really care about, perhaps a symbol, like my old weapon's display, to indicate that bicyclist I am just about to mow down, superimposed.

Last edited by Dogpilot; 03-20-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:05 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on this?

Old 03-28-2022, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@TestnDoc - Updates on which parts of the thread? Lots of time and lots of posts. If you're asking if the PiviPro 3.0 or 3.1 impacted the HUD, then the answer is no. Neither update really touched the HUD. I consider that the HUD has two "modes". I'm sure you/I could dig more re: it, but here's the basics as I see it. When driving on-road it shows the mpg prominently and then under it the speed limit. Also shows the cruise control setting if that was turned on. While Adaptive Cruise is going on, the numbers may vary as the Defender slows down in traffic. Finally, it shows the adaptive cruise control distance. It's not cluttered and actually works well. When you have the PiviPro nav on, it shows the turn by turn directions when the PiviPro speaks to you. I find that it is a bit "late" on the turn advice. When it gives turn directions, it takes over the display. If you turn on the Terrain Response, then it goes into 4x4 mode. At that time it shows differentials engaging and various degrees of tilt (fore/aft, left/right) as well as the Terrain setting.

Other than that, PiviPro updates have NOT (unfortunately) allow the CarPlay nav to take over.

If anyone figured out how to get it to work, let me know.

Quick Reply: Heads up on the Heads Up Display