2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitch extension

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

I was advised that extending the hitch would adversely impact handling and if anything was done, shortening it would be preferred. I was told to move the spare to the roof rack when towing to address the clearance issue.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-23-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't imagine actually hitting the trailer with the spare. Is it just the jack? If so you can relocate the jack or put on one that pivots up for travel, there is also a kit for quick removal of the jack after hookup.

Last edited by carlmuck; 05-24-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:39 AM
Mudding
Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
I was advised that extending the hitch would adversely impact handling and if anything was done, shortening it would be preferred. I was told to move the spare to the roof rack when towing to address the clearance issue.
Thats a bit ridiculous to move the spare while towing and not necessary. the dealer is just saying that to cover their asses. an extension is fine uinless you have excessive tongue weight. But I routinely us a pintle mount with L shape that moves the the pintle taller to meet my military trailer. in addition I tow my boat without needing an extension.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a product called "The Ultimate Jack" available from Tractor Supply (and elsewhere) that solves the jack clearance problem:
This is with the jack just lifted off the ground (hard to see) with the air suspension. We used an 8" length receiver.

This picture shows what is left when you remove the jack (yes you can open the door somewhat):

If you do a hard left turn, you can open the door all the way. This shows the door clearance to the propane bin.

The Ultimate Jack simply replaces your existing jack - assuming it is the standard 3-bolt design. Yeah - you have to toss the old one (sorry for those who bought an electric jack).

Old 08-18-2022, 02:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RH5555
There is a product called "The Ultimate Jack" available from Tractor Supply (and elsewhere) that solves the jack clearance problem:
This is with the jack just lifted off the ground (hard to see) with the air suspension. We used an 8" length receiver.

This picture shows what is left when you remove the jack (yes you can open the door somewhat):

If you do a hard left turn, you can open the door all the way. This shows the door clearance to the propane bin.

The Ultimate Jack simply replaces your existing jack - assuming it is the standard 3-bolt design. Yeah - you have to toss the old one (sorry for those who bought an electric jack).
Would you mind measuring the horizontal distance from your silver storage bin (for propane?) to the ball mounting point? I'm trying to figure out how much clearance I need on my trailer to get your functionality with the door and spare tire. I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 08-18-2022, 04:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mzeee
Would you mind measuring the horizontal distance from your silver storage bin (for propane?) to the ball mounting point? I'm trying to figure out how much clearance I need on my trailer to get your functionality with the door and spare tire. I would greatly appreciate it!
The distance is 23.5" to the body of the bin, the lid protrudes beyond the body by 3/4", and the latch adds a further 1"

Last edited by RH5555; 08-18-2022 at 04:19 PM.
mzeee (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling

The distance is 23.5" to the body of the bin, the lid protrudes beyond the body by 3/4", and the latch adds a further 1"
Thanks! And the ball mount you use is 8" from ball to pin, mounted on the stock tow receiver?

Old 08-18-2022, 05:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mzeee
Thanks! And the ball mount you use is 8" from ball to pin, mounted on the stock tow receiver?
8" nominal, 7-1/4" actual. Stock receiver.

mzeee (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 11:00 PM
Three Wheeling

8" nominal, 7-1/4" actual. Stock receiver.
Thanks for the detailed information. This was extremely helpful. I was able to calculate that I should be in a nearly identical situation with clearances, and your precise details about the lip, latch, and actual ball to pin length were all relevant.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by spikemd
Thats a bit ridiculous to move the spare while towing and not necessary. the dealer is just saying that to cover their asses. an extension is fine uinless you have excessive tongue weight. But I routinely us a pintle mount with L shape that moves the the pintle taller to meet my military trailer. in addition I tow my boat without needing an extension.
In my case, I'm towing a 7,300 lb trailer with close to 800 lbs tongue weight.

Quick Reply: Hitch extension