Hitch Mounted Bike Rack on a 110

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 09:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanNN
Question- why the hitch mount vs spare tire mount like this:

https://yakima.com/products/spareride

Seems like that would be a good solution to swing out with the door and offer access easily? Trying to decide which way to go and wondering if I am missing something....
I have a 1up rack mounted to their RakAttach swingout. A few reasons why I went for this approach.
  • I prefer for the bikes to be secured by the wheels rather than the frames. Especially on a rough road, I'd cringe watching my carbon fiber bike bouncing in the rear view mirror. You also have to be careful when holding bikes by their top tube. Go to any bike shop, and when they put the bike in the repair stand they'll secure it by clamping onto the seat post instead.
  • Mountain bikes are heavy (~30 lbs at least). Multiply that by a few bikes and that's a lot of extra weight hanging off the rear door.
  • Hitch mounted bike trays like the 1up make it very easy to mount & dismount bikes. Only takes a few seconds per bike.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:33 PM
Winching
Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts

i know there is a huge 1up following but i ended choosing Kuat. Beside the 1up folding up slimmer the Kuat is better made, feels more secure and easier to use

i wanted to love the 1up to switch but messing with my buddies i am perfectly happy with the Kuat

i am running the kuat high low extended flipped to low to allow two bikes without hitting the spare

Originally Posted by mammoth
I have a 1up rack mounted to their RakAttach swingout. A few reasons why I went for this approach.
  • I prefer for the bikes to be secured by the wheels rather than the frames. Especially on a rough road, I'd cringe watching my carbon fiber bike bouncing in the rear view mirror. You also have to be careful when holding bikes by their top tube. Go to any bike shop, and when they put the bike in the repair stand they'll secure it by clamping onto the seat post instead.
  • Mountain bikes are heavy (~30 lbs at least). Multiply that by a few bikes and that's a lot of extra weight hanging off the rear door.
  • Hitch mounted bike trays like the 1up make it very easy to mount & dismount bikes. Only takes a few seconds per bike.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:34 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=RSuriani;817690]
Originally Posted by GavinC
Thanks to all the helpful members and their posts on this thread. Figured I'd add my 2c to the pile

First day using our Kuat rack on the new Defender with the HiLo Pro extension from Kuat. Works very nicely. I didn't want the extra weight and cost of a pivot as it will rarely if ever be needed by me. This checks all the boxes for us.

Kuat 2.0

This is exactly what I'm looking for: a solution to carry 4 bikes (actually 5, but the 5th one will probably have to go to the roof). How is it after 4 additional months since your original post? It looks great!
You want 5th one for that i would recommend get a 7 bike bike rack. Seriously only then you can can carry 5. For a RV you can consider this

Old 06-12-2022, 04:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yakima Four-Timer fits (Just)

Yakima FourTimer | Yakima with no hitch extension required. I have removed the additional holder for bikes 3 and 4 in this photo. A bit of planning is required for the pedal position but it all sits very nicely.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:13 AM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking get the VelociRax 6, https://www.velocirax.com/product-page/velocirax-6 . Anyone have one of those? Do I need a hitch extender (I'm assuming I will)?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2022, 08:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a couple bike racks already, a department store sport rack that can hold up to 4 bikes, and a modified Thule double track for single bike transport.
They both fit, but the thule can't fold up with the spare tire and the sport rack makes the gate unusable.

My solution was to get a Saris swing away adaptor.
I would imagine this would make any rack usable, and both of mine work fine with it, and it looks cool.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brock Samson:
ba_ (01-14-2024), GrouseK9 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 10:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I have a couple of hitch mount bike carriers; I use a Saris 2-bike mostly. But I just bought this for $135 and used it Wednesday for 2.5-hour trip and I’m in love! Easy to mount the first time, trivial (takes seconds) to put the rack on and off after the initial mount. Bike loads easy, the top-tube cradle/strap is the simplest retention system I’ve ever had on a bike carrier, and It is soooooooooooooooo much more stable while driving than any hitch mount rack I’ve had. This thing’s the bomb, and so cheap!

Apex Legends Rage Powersports bike rack. Apex Legends Rage Powersports bike rack.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rakattach reversible for Defender. Rotate 180 degrees

Originally Posted by Defender13
I'm looking for examples of racks can be mounted on the rear hitch rather than roof rack. Prefer 2 bike minimum.

Have any of you installed a hitch mounted rack and cleared the spare tire? 1up, Kuat, Thule?

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-03-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 12:06 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
It looks a lot different now. Lifted 1.0"

those Vossen's look awesome

Old 07-31-2022, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rakattach is heavy. Not for swapping between cars often. I prefer swing with door

Quick Reply: Hitch Mounted Bike Rack on a 110