2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitch Mounted Bike Rack on a 110

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 05:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks like a good risk of hitting the kuat 4 on steeper incline entries or sloped driveways with it that low and extended. 1up design slopes up to the rear to avoid this, and keeps the bikes a little more compact. I’d be cautious around inclines with that kuat. After 20 years on my cars, I still don’t think any other rack even comes close to matching the 1up in design, function, or quality.

The following users liked this post:
ba_ (01-14-2024)
Old 10-17-2021, 12:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,345 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
Looks like a good risk of hitting the kuat 4 on steeper incline entries or sloped driveways with it that low and extended. 1up design slopes up to the rear to avoid this, and keeps the bikes a little more compact. I’d be cautious around inclines with that kuat. After 20 years on my cars, I still don’t think any other rack even comes close to matching the 1up in design, function, or quality.
I agree. I think the 1Up is the best of the bunch. A mate sold his Kuat and got a 1 Up. Really top notch design.

I'm not worried about the Kuat bottoming out however. It would have to be a fairly extreme incline change to do that. Possible I'm sure but not something I expect to feature for us. I have it in the low position. Flipped into Hi would raise it by 4". Also my pictures are all in access mode so another 40mm lower than when driving. All up thats just shy of another 6" clearance if needed. I suppose if you were likely to bottom it out on a tight incline or switchback you could even go into offroad height for more room.

But yes, the sloped positioning of the bikes on the 1Up is sleek and a better design for sure. They look better too.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,345 Likes on 963 Posts

Just a followup on the measurements.

Here is the rack's lowest point in access mode with extension in Lo 13.5" in the pictures

Access height HiLo Extension in Lo

This is with the Defender in Normal height and extension positioned Hi. 19"

Normal driving height and HiLo extension in Hi

The rear door can still be opened all the way

In off-road height the lowest point at the far end of the 4 bike rack is about 30" off the ground and 59" from the hitch receiver.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, with the Pivot, do you still need to use an extension to clear the spare?

Old 03-13-2022, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any additional feedback after 4+ months?

[QUOTE=GavinC;796498]Thanks to all the helpful members and their posts on this thread. Figured I'd add my 2c to the pile

First day using our Kuat rack on the new Defender with the HiLo Pro extension from Kuat. Works very nicely. I didn't want the extra weight and cost of a pivot as it will rarely if ever be needed by me. This checks all the boxes for us.

Kuat 2.0

This is exactly what I'm looking for: a solution to carry 4 bikes (actually 5, but the 5th one will probably have to go to the roof). How is it after 4 additional months since your original post? It looks great!

Old 04-14-2022, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey is this the medium or large size 1UP. Looks like it fits perfect!

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
New toys arrived:

I already had a 1UpUSA rack, but needed to get a way to clear the rear mounted spare. Off of their site, I ordered their swing away Rack Attach and it works perfect for our bikes.

My wife has the Turbo Levo, which I will say is a ton of fun to ride!

Rob

Old 04-15-2022, 07:44 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

I will have to go back and look what size I ordered. Was over a year ago...

Old 04-15-2022, 07:57 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

I ordered a large Rack Attach. Works really well and my only complaint would be that it is very heavy. The medium being a bit shorter might weigh less.

Rob

Old 04-15-2022, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

I love my 1up rack, but for four or five bikes, I think the vertical racks make a lot more sense. 1up with four bikes just sticks out way too far for comfort. Velocirax is what I’d get for that. https://www.velocirax.com/

“This is exactly what I'm looking for: a solution to carry 4 bikes (actually 5, but the 5th one will probably have to go to the roof). How is it after 4 additional months since your original post? It looks great!”

Old 04-15-2022, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

I know this is extreme overkill but my dad got one of these for his land cruiser and they are pretty badass..... While it might not make sense for the defender it would be cool to mount the rear tire to that and then you can have your bike rack swing out as part of the hitch AND can still tow with it. Pretty trick.

https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/...rier-multi-fit

The following users liked this post:
doink (04-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Hitch Mounted Bike Rack on a 110