Sponsored by:

Interior color - Ebony or Tan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 11:49 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior color - Ebony or Tan?

Hey all!

I’m currently finalizing my build for a 2023 MY Defender 90, and I can’t decide which looks better: Ebony/Ebony or VintageTan/Ebony Duotone Windsor leather. Both looks amazing on the configurator but I wonder if anyone can share some opinions (or pics) on how they look in person under normal lighting condition.

Thank you!

Old 11-19-2021, 06:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Have you ever seen a car with a black interior? That’s what Ebony/Ebony looks like.

Here’s what VT/E looks like:

It’s too orange a shade of tan for my taste, but I’d still get it over black/black, which feels like it’s doing a disservice to the unique Defender interior.

Does a local dealer have leather samples? If so, you owe it to yourself to look at the VT in person. Perhaps it doesn’t read as orange in person as in all the photos. I struggled similarly with the lighter optional wood trim, the crosscut one. It looked very orange in every photo I saw online, without exception. I was going with the dark oak, but stopped by my dealer and he had a little keychain-type collection of various LR wood options (for other trucks, not just Defender) and I loved the crosscut one and thought the smokey oak was too dark. I love it in person in my truck, but in photos guess what? Too orange.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 11-19-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:57 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tt20049760
Hey all!

I’m currently finalizing my build for a 2023 MY Defender 90, and I can’t decide which looks better: Ebony/Ebony or VintageTan/Ebony Duotone Windsor leather. Both looks amazing on the configurator but I wonder if anyone can share some opinions (or pics) on how they look in person under normal lighting condition.

Thank you!
The lighter interiors tend to show dirt a lot more, and the blue in blue jeans might stain as well

Old 11-19-2021, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Have you ever seen a car with a black interior? That’s what Ebony/Ebony looks like.

Here’s what VT/E looks like:

It’s too orange a shade of tan for my taste, but I’d still get it over black/black, which feels like it’s doing a disservice to the unique Defender interior.

Does a local dealer have leather samples? If so, you owe it to yourself to look at the VT in person. Perhaps it doesn’t read as orange in person as in all the photos. I struggled similarly with the lighter optional wood trim, the crosscut one. It looked very orange in every photo I saw online, without exception. I was going with the dark oak, but stopped by my dealer and he had a little keychain-type collection of various LR wood options (for other trucks, not just Defender) and I loved the crosscut one and thought the smokey oak was too dark. I love it in person in my truck, but in photos guess what? Too orange.

I like that combo a lot

Old 11-19-2021, 08:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Major fan of the tan. Not a black/black kind of person. Not an option on my trim's 2022, so I went with something else (khaki).

Old 11-19-2021, 08:48 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally was going with the acorn/lunar for the contrast but there's a lot of black in the car that conflicts with the lunar (which is like a dark gray). My wife, who was pushing for the acorn/lunar agreed. I also liked the tan/ebony but she did not like the tan. Also, this was on the X at the time (we purchased a '21 X-dynamic HSE) and neither of us liked that the side the seats were not leather. We landed on ebony/ebony with rough cut walnut and dark gray cross beam and both continue to love it every day. Black may not be exciting everyday but I find it's hard to get sick of as I've found myself to do with lighter/bolder color choices (interior or exterior) over time. Hope this helps!