2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Invitation to see the OCTA unveiling (and updates)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 02:33 PM
Mudding
Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Do we know what the glowing red "orb" switch is under the center of the steering wheel. Like a switch under the airbag?
If I had to take an educated guess, it is probably going to be a high-speed off-road drive mode, similar to the SV mode in the RRS SV, but for off-roading.

Old 06-24-2024, 02:34 PM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I attended the LA event yesterday. Really no more details from the Land Rover media reports were discussed. Good looking truck, did not notice anything major but it seems like they "sharpened" it up. A quick walk through of the specs (emphasizing what has already been reported by Land Rover - V8 Bi Turbo and 6D suspension); we could not take notes or photos. Truck is slightly higher and wider if I am remembering correctly. Two versions as reported above, one aimed more for hard core off-roading (same basic truck). One of each on display. All the usual complaints (except smaller tires) seem to be addressed - recovery hooks, undershields, roof, etc. Seems to be a choice of 20" or 22:" wheels with three tire choices of both. The off-road demo had Duratrac RT's and the on-road had Michelin all season's, but I am not sure if that's what they come with. Choice of two colors for each version and not many options to chose from (everything seems to be included). Everything on the V8 or X trim seems to be included plus some additional items related to the newer suspension technology and some interior upgrade options better seats, etc.) . 110 only. Could only look, no start and certainly no test drive. All-in-all a good event but value will definitely be in the eyes of the beholder. Obviously, no pricing info. The marketing strategy is somewhat of a mystery to me. They say everything will be available 3 July. As I undferstand things, on 3 July Land Rover will be out of the game and the dealers take over.

Old 06-24-2024, 04:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife and I made the trip down to California to see it on Saturday near Los Angeles. We were both taken by how good it looks in person, they did a great job. As one poster said, they tidied up a number things. The stance of OCTA looks fantastic. The personal guide who showed us the vehicles had an iPad that he used to build up our spec with pricing at MSRP, this was then sent to our dealer. So pricing with options is out there for those who built one at the event...of course who knows how dealers will be handling their limited allocation and if any markups will send it into the stratosphere. If I'm lucky enough to be given the nod, I'm all in.

Last edited by PNW Rover; 06-24-2024 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Did they talk about whether this was developed in collaboration with Bowler?

Old 06-24-2024, 10:38 PM
Mudding

My guide did not mention Bowler, but I should add he was from the marketing department not a technician. Don’t get me wrong, he seemed to know his stuff, but would fail miserably going head to toe with many of you on the forum. Nice part, he wasn’t “selling” anything. I think we have to assume that these trucks had a lot of input from Bowler or vise a versa. Other comments, the front seems to be a combo of the A Frame and regular bumper, looks great. I suggest about the same for the back, just better looking anyway. Roof rails included, go figure. Wide wheel arches look great. Something about feeling music through the seats, not massage, but you could feel something! Don’t know if that is standard or not. Might be able to save about as much as ordering a quarter pounder without ketchup. Value proposition aside, if you like the Defender 110, you’ll love this one whether you buy it or just dream about it.

Old 06-30-2024, 04:30 PM
Mudding

I think Land Rover is announcing the OCTA this week, so we may get some derails. LR is a major sponsor of Wimbledon, so it may coincide.

Old 07-01-2024, 06:58 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It will be unveiled on July 3rd.

Old 07-01-2024, 07:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jim 90
I think Land Rover is announcing the OCTA this week, so we may get some derails. LR is a major sponsor of Wimbledon, so it may coincide.
Yes, the official reveal is this coming Wednesday. The first public debut will be at the Goodwood Festival of Speed next weekend. I'm popping across the pond to attend, and I should be able to get up close and personal with the OCTA when I'm there, as there will be an exclusive lounge for LR owners. Will update this thread after I attend.

Old 07-01-2024, 11:11 AM
Mudding

Good to hear you will attend. I'm not sure how much info we will get. I signed up and did the configurator with the LR guidance counselor but really did not get any details - I picked which edition, color, etc. I understood the basic difference in the editions but really other than the one being more off-road oriented, no real details. I think it comes with 35" tires in either 20 or 22" diameters. I am also not sure how much my local salesperson will know as they have been kept out the the loop also. Any first hand info/opinions will be appreciated. Doesn't seem like we will get a chance to see it again or a test drive.

The following users liked this post:
CincyRovers (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:17 AM
Mudding

Once the press kit is released on Wednesday, all will be revealed. JLR is always good at making sure every little detail is in the press kit. Highly likely that the configurator will be up and running on the LRUSA website. However, you can't configure an RRS SV online, so its a possibility that they might do that with OCTA. Less than 48 hours until we know everything.

Quick Reply: Invitation to see the OCTA unveiling (and updates)