2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR road side assistance, or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 08:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,244 Likes on 741 Posts

Wow. No small notes. No hyper link mazes to hidden details. No foot notes to legal vagueness. Just pretty clear messaging. Seems like someone is doing a bit of "creative" marketing. (Link).

Am I missing anything in these two sentences?
"All Land Rover vehicles still under warranty are covered by our exclusive Land Rover Roadside Assistance."
"24-Hour Emergency Towing: complimentary transportation of your vehicle to the nearest Land Rover Retailer."

If you got the real treatment, then this would appear to be a pretty clear foul in the advertising area.

I was expecting some sort of disclaimer: Only valid within x miles of a Dealer; if a Dealer is not available, only within x miles of a Certified wrench monkey; only valid if you are on pavement; yada yada yada. NOTHING. No "yeah buts" at all on that page.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 06-14-2022 at 08:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Craig_RRS2013 (05-06-2023)
Old 06-14-2022, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,406 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Wow. No small notes. No hyper link mazes to hidden details. No foot notes to legal vagueness. Just pretty clear messaging. Seems like someone is doing a bit of "creative" marketing. (Link).

Am I missing anything in these two sentences?
"All Land Rover vehicles still under warranty are covered by our exclusive Land Rover Roadside Assistance."
"24-Hour Emergency Towing: complimentary transportation of your vehicle to the nearest Land Rover Retailer."

If you got the real treatment, then this would appear to be a pretty clear foul in the advertising area.

I was expecting some sort of disclaimer: Only valid within x miles of a Dealer; if a Dealer is not available, only within x miles of a Certified wrench monkey; only valid if you are on pavement; yada yada yada. NOTHING. No "yeah buts" at all on that page.
The master "out" is in the site's Terms & Conditions page where it basically says "this could all be wrong and too bad for you".

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Craig_RRS2013 (05-06-2023), GrouseK9 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 08:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

I kinda understood why the 3rd party towing company gave me the run around. Saturday, late, probably missing sports if they had to go out, and besides there are more local trips probably for more money...
What it really got me was the customer rep from JLR N.A. who told me that they farm it out, and that is that.... remembered me of the hostess from "Meet the Fockers"

I did not have a OBD reader. In all honesty I was not expecting that from a vehicle under 10k - but I was wrong.
The CEL is not really what got me (like I said, bigger brands have it too) but the attitude of JLR.
At least put a show ... pretend they care. Nope.
The only ones who really were supportive, were the dealership. Now they were far, but still ...
Car is drivable and as y'all said is probably something stupid ( software or a bad sensor ) - so I hope.

**** UPDATE:
So, I called again this morning to find some one else to see what those fabulous benefits really mean for me ... you know , like AAA explains for every type of membership here.
This time I was lucky(er). I have found some one that at least listened and tried to find more. "There is something in our internal data base, she said, but I can not copy it and send it to you. You will have to call road side assistance. I am sorry".
To me this starts looking like an "extended car warranty" only for road side assistance. Oh and by the way, the 3rd party towing company is called "Urgently" - yes, really!

Last edited by Mechano2020; 06-14-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: updates
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had the same experience with other manufacturers roadside assistance. I finally asked the dealership which towing company they used, called them directly, and paid out of pocket. Much better experience.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,375 Likes on 677 Posts

Sad to say I had much better service with 1-800-jeep-cares when my wrangler motor punched a hole in the number six cylinder wall with 15,000 miles on it, an hour from the trail head outside of Moab. They flatbed the Jeep to Grand Junction, two hours away. Ordered a new long block and installed it, rented me an SUV to get back to Atlanta in and drive for a month, and then put the jeep on a car carrier and delivered to the nearest shopping center parking lot to my house. I’m not a fan of 15,000 mile low stress V6 motors blowing up, but I have to say they treated me great during the whole process.

The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
Chief65 (06-14-2022), Craig_RRS2013 (05-06-2023), Mechano2020 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 02:46 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When our Defender inexplicably threw every warning light imaginable last week, I decided I didn't want to sit around waiting for a tow, and drove it up to the dealer myself. I had the displeasure of my first ever tow a few weeks ago when my 911 had a substantial tire puncture on the freeway. Probably could've sealed it and driven home, but I didn't really want to experiment with the 13 year old sealant. Hagerty roadside assistance was fine, but the two hour wait is something I could live without. If the car seems drivable, I will almost always try to avoid the inconvenience of a tow.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Chief65
...to me stalling and CELs are absolutely unheard of with new vehicles but maybe LR owners are much more tolerant and half-expect problems. I too heard all of the rumors about unreliability and electrical gremlins, I do have to say my personal experience has shown that's not all just BS either and JLR need to do better. I like what they build but there's really no excuse for stuff like that with brand new cars. I think a lot of people are much too forgiving and good service can make up for a lot. To hear about bad service is extremely disappointing. I would have to think twice before buying another with the way the OP was treated in this case...
It's like a really attractive woman (or whatever you like ) that you just can't get out of your head. She's fun, she tells great stories, she makes you laugh and see life in a different way. She cooks great food, she's full of energy, and she just makes you happy.

Sometimes she can take a long time to get ready. There's a maintenance involved; hair, nails, facials, a little Botox. The shoes she likes are expensive. Sometimes she needs a day to herself. It's a really good idea to take her to a spa day now and again.

You call her mom or her sister when you think you need a little assistance and maybe they help but not like you hoped they would.

Toyota needs 30,000 people a day to want to start a boring relationship. Land Rover just needs about 1000 a day to fall in love.

Are there any forums about "What did you do in your Camry today"? If so, do they ever talk about getting that back corner dent fixed?

The following 7 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
BulldogDefender (06-15-2022), Craig_RRS2013 (05-06-2023), Mechano2020 (06-15-2022), mlw911 (06-15-2022), PaulLR (06-15-2022), SeattleDriver (06-17-2022), user 729788 (06-15-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-15-2022, 10:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,375 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly

Are there any forums about "What did you do in your Camry today"? If so, do they ever talk about getting that back corner dent fixed?
You make some good points in your post, but in your last paragraph change the question from “Camry” to “Tacoma, FJ, or 4runner.” And yeah, there are a lot of people on a lot of fora waxing poetic about their love of their rugged, reliable Toyota offroaders.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
You make some good points in your post, but in your last paragraph change the question from “Camry” to “Tacoma, FJ, or 4runner.” And yeah, there are a lot of people on a lot of fora waxing poetic about their love of their rugged, reliable Toyota offroaders.
It's true. And let's not forget the Land Cruiser. Maybe I meant Honda.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 228 Likes on 138 Posts

Me personally I don't really look for my excitement in my transportation. I don't particularly even like driving tbh, especially in this city, but to each his own. I mainly bought a Defender because I expected it to be a very good safe winter vehicle plus it looks cool, and it has been all of that. When I want excitement I go to the racetrack.

Quick Reply: JLR road side assistance, or lack thereof