Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnson Rods 1.5” lift vs Proud Rhino 2”

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman153
Quick question, does installing these rods need any kind of software change? or do you simply pop them on and raise/lower the suspension and the car figures things out.
Pop then in. (5 min Install) and the defender figures it out. You may get an error light until you cycle the suspension once and it figures it out in seconds

Old 01-12-2021, 03:26 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
Pop then in. (5 min Install) and the defender figures it out. You may get an error light until you cycle the suspension once and it figures it out in seconds
Sweet, that's what I figured would be the case. my stealership told me I'd have to bring it in for a software update after changing them, I figured that was a load of BS. Thanks for confirming.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No alignment after lift rods installed. I’ve been monitoring any abnormal tire wear but have not noticed any.
Sounds like dealership is trying to make a few bucks.

ETB

Last edited by ebarry; 01-22-2021 at 07:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lnberger (09-07-2022)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ebarry
No alignment after lift rods installed. I’ve been monitoring any abnormal tire wear but have not noticed any.
Sounds like dealership is trying to make a few bucks.

ETB
I didn’t have the alignment done by the dealer. I’ve raised and lowered countless cars. Unless it’s a vehicle on solid axles, an alignment is usually necessary.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Here’s a bit of data for those of you playing with offsets and aftermarket wheels. I went to the Proud Rhino 2” lift thinking that it would help clear issues with running with more a more aggressive offset. Got a set of Vossen HF5’s with a +35 offset. I found that they rubbed the mud flaps badly with the 2” lift. Put the Johnson rods in and it clears. The 1.5” lift puts the centerline of the 33” tire right above the edge of the mud flap. So for those of you running 33’s. Max offset is +35....maaaaybe +30 and the 1.5” lift helps you more than the 2”. To that end the 2” Johnson rods do you a disservice if you’re running OEM mud flaps. I know this for certain as I spent the last 2 hours changing lift rods and driving in a circle at full lock. Here’s a pic of the defender on 1.5” with the Vossen wheels.

Last edited by SmokinV10; 01-20-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:51 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I realize that most defenders on here are parking lot princesses, versus true off roaders, I just wonder why put aggressive off road tires, why put on a lift and then complain about mud flaps? I learned about 20 years when I started off roading the first thing that goes is mud flaps. I can’t tell you how many people want the off road “look” but are adamant about keeping mud flaps on. To each his own.

the first thing that I immediately took off on day one was mud flaps. This weekend I took my 82,000 defender out and scratched the **** out of the fender wells and body paint, after using a grinder to cut my bumper up to fit my non approved steel cable 10 yr old Warn 9.5 ti Thermometric winch. I’m very happy I beat the crap out of my off road vehicles. I’m doing the Rubicon trail in the spring! Lots of body damage coming! My badge of honor! FYI I love my PR 1 inch lift. Perfect all around!

Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Mark1107
I realize that most defenders on here are parking lot princesses, versus true off roaders, I just wonder why put aggressive off road tires, why put on a lift and then complain about mud flaps? I learned about 20 years when I started off roading the first thing that goes is mud flaps. I can’t tell you how many people want the off road “look” but are adamant about keeping mud flaps on. To each his own.

the first thing that I immediately took off on day one was mud flaps. This weekend I took my 82,000 defender out and scratched the **** out of the fender wells and body paint, after using a grinder to cut my bumper up to fit my non approved steel cable 10 yr old Warn 9.5 ti Thermometric winch. I’m very happy I beat the crap out of my off road vehicles. I’m doing the Rubicon trail in the spring! Lots of body damage coming! My badge of honor! FYI I love my PR 1 inch lift. Perfect all around!

ok tough guy. I’m glad that you take pride in beating the **** out of your vehicles. Mine is my daily driver but will see dirt and mild trail use from time to time. We buy lifts and tires because the tires significantly improve off-road capability for a very modest price and the lift is also a trivial cost and worthwhile for cosmetics alone. Why mudflaps? I like the way they look. Somewhat reminiscent of the original defenders and and they keep a rooster tail of mud off the paint work most of the time. But since you felt compared to share a pet peeve about someone else trying to figure out now to keep mudflaps for a vehicle that sees 95% road use and only occasional trail/ranch/hunting use, let me share my pet peeve. It’s really annoying when the guy with a modestly capable off-road rig (defender) brags because he beats the crap out of it to use it as a rock crawler. What’s worse is when he brags that it cost $82k. It’s worse when half of everyone else reading spent the same or more on theirs. It’s even worse when the boast is made to a guy with a higher end model. All that said, the Defender is fairly capable wheeler when you’re comparing it to other stock 4x4’s. In the world of true off road vehicles it’s not nearly as capable as you think it is and it’s hardly the coup de grâce. Here’s my rock crawler:

2015 Rubicon on 40’s in true bead locks with triple bypass king off-road racing coil overs attached to long arm cantilever suspension. Tossed the OEM Dana 40’s and installed custom built Dynatrac one ton axles Dana 60 front Dana 80 rear. Added hydraulic Ram steering to make turning 100+ lb wheels and tires possible and added 1/4” plate armor/skid plates/sliders literally everywhere along with a full roll cage. Makes all of our defenders look like flailing gimps on the trail. I was way past mudflaps son but like most true gear heads I cared about scratches (i repainted or replaced as needed). I have never made excuses that scratches make it look cooler. They dont. On the defender they are just scratches that destroy resale value for a vehicle that I’ll sell when defender SVX is released in the next year or two.

btw since we are criticizing other people’s equipment choices, why did you buy OEM nerf bars instead of proper lucky 8 rock sliders for all that hard core off-roading? One good hit and those OEM nerf bars will probably be done or collapse into the OEM aluminum bodywork. Those steps will get caught on rocks too. The lunchbox on the side may get ripped off by a rock that the rest of the truck can clear. I still haven’t figured out the practical purpose of the snorkel. It doesn’t increase wade depth and unless you’re doing the Baja 1000 it serves no purpose other than look cool. Arguably the mud flaps that you despise so much have more practical function than your lunchbox or snorkel. I actually like those accessories, but it’s fairly clear someone is throwing rocks in glass houses.

Last edited by SmokinV10; 01-21-2021 at 09:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SmokinV10:
Bdcrosswhite (02-10-2021), gmachine (02-07-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 09:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok tough guy. I’m glad that you take pride in beating the **** out of your vehicles. Mine is my daily driver but will see dirt and mild trail use from time to time. We buy lifts and tires because the tires significantly improve off-road capability for a very modest price and the lift is also a trivial cost and worthwhile for cosmetics alone. Why mudflaps? I like the way they look. Somewhat reminiscent of the original defenders and and they keep a rooster tail of mud off the paint work most of the time. But since you felt compared to share a pet peeve about someone else trying to figure out now to keep mudflaps for a vehicle that sees 95% road use and only occasional trail/ranch/hunting use, let me share my pet peeve. It’s really annoying when the guy with a modestly capable off-road rig (defender) brags because he beats the crap out of it to use it as a rock crawler. The Defender is fairly capable wheeler when you’re comparing it to other stock 4x4’s. In the world of true off road vehicles it’s not nearly as capable as you think it is and it’s hardly the coup de grâce. Here’s my rock crawler:

2015 Rubicon on 40’s in true bead locks with triple bypass king off-road racing coil overs attached to long arm cantilever suspension. Tossed the OEM Dana 40’s and installed custom built Dynatrac one ton axles Dana 60 front Dana 80 rear. Added hydraulic Ram steering to make turning 100+ lb wheels and tires possible and added 1/4” plate armor/skid plates/sliders literally everywhere along with a full roll cage. Makes all of our defenders look like flailing gimps on the trail. I was way past mudflaps son but like most true gear heads I cared about scratches (i repainted or replaced as needed). I have never made excuses that scratches make it look cooler. They dont. On the defender they are just scratches that destroy resale value for a vehicle that I’ll sell when defender SVX is released in the next year or two.

btw since we are criticizing other people’s equipment choices, why did you buy OEM nerf bars instead of proper lucky 8 rock sliders for all that hard core off-roading? One good hit and those OEM nerf bars will probably be done or collapse into the OEM aluminum bodywork. Those steps will get caught on rocks too. The lunchbox on the side may get ripped off by a rock that the rest of the truck can clear. I still haven’t figured out the practical purpose of the snorkel. It doesn’t increase wade depth and unless you’re doing the Baja 1000 it serves no purpose other than look cool. Arguably the mud flaps that you despise so much have more practical function than your lunchbox or snorkel. I actually like those accessories, but it’s fairly clear someone is throwing rocks in glass houses.

I mean we can keep going down this trail all day... why did you build a JK on 40’s to be a rock crawler you pavement princess??? My ultra4 buggy on stickies will run circles around that POS!

Get my sarcastic joke?

if not, holy moly, why do you have a 720s??? You know they just dropped the 765lt and it is running 9.3’s @150 out of the box! Freaking peasant!

Point is everyone has different goals. As someone who is currently probably a mix between the two of you, I tend to agree on the mudflaps and vossen’s not being high priority for a daily that will see some off-road use but I respect what is trying to be accomplished. My 2” proud rhino lift should be here soon and I am tempted to order the 1.5” from Johnson rods as well and just swap them and drive in circles just to find the best ride.

Btw I love the 720, one of the few exotics that may make me break away from my Porsche fanboi status if I could find a reliable one LOL

Old 01-21-2021, 10:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Here’s a bit of data for those of you playing with offsets and aftermarket wheels. I went to the Proud Rhino 2” lift thinking that it would help clear issues with running with more a more aggressive offset. Got a set of Vossen HF5’s with a +35 offset. I found that they rubbed the mud flaps badly with the 2” lift. Put the Johnson rods in and it clears. The 1.5” lift puts the centerline of the 33” tire right above the edge of the mud flap. So for those of you running 33’s. Max offset is +35....maaaaybe +30 and the 1.5” lift helps you more than the 2”. To that end the 2” Johnson rods do you a disservice if you’re running OEM mud flaps. I know this for certain as I spent the last 2 hours changing lift rods and driving in a circle at full lock. Here’s a pic of the defender on 1.5” with the Vossen wheels.

SmokinV10 - I'm looking at the same wheel from Vossen. They recommended 20x9.5 +16 offset. Do you know your wheel width? I'm curious how +16 offset would fit compared to your +35

Your rig looks fantastic!

Old 01-21-2021, 12:23 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Dude, chill. Nice jeep. My opinion is mine. Please criticize me all you want, its the internet, my opinion doesnt matter to you, its mine. Im on the facebook groups and there are many posts talk8ng about mudflaps like its life or death. Enjoy your defender in good health!

ok tough guy. I’m glad that you take pride in beating the **** out of your vehicles. Mine is my daily driver but will see dirt and mild trail use from time to time. We buy lifts and tires because the tires significantly improve off-road capability for a very modest price and the lift is also a trivial cost and worthwhile for cosmetics alone. Why mudflaps? I like the way they look. Somewhat reminiscent of the original defenders and and they keep a rooster tail of mud off the paint work most of the time. But since you felt compared to share a pet peeve about someone else trying to figure out now to keep mudflaps for a vehicle that sees 95% road use and only occasional trail/ranch/hunting use, let me share my pet peeve. It’s really annoying when the guy with a modestly capable off-road rig (defender) brags because he beats the crap out of it to use it as a rock crawler. What’s worse is when he brags that it cost $82k. It’s worse when half of everyone else reading spent the same or more on theirs. It’s even worse when the boast is made to a guy with a higher end model. All that said, the Defender is fairly capable wheeler when you’re comparing it to other stock 4x4’s. In the world of true off road vehicles it’s not nearly as capable as you think it is and it’s hardly the coup de grâce. Here’s my rock crawler:

Quick Reply: Johnson Rods 1.5” lift vs Proud Rhino 2”