2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a recall notice for 2022

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 11:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,244 Likes on 741 Posts

@Kev M - It's likely because CarFax is much more aggressive than manufacturers. It's their business model to report vehicle conditions, so I get it. Very similar to why I value FlightAware to understand my flights. Airlines have so many legacy systems cobbled together that they do a **** poor job of notifying changes, delays, cancellations. It's FlightAware's business model so their integrations are much more streamlined.

Specifically, I think the challenge in notification may be because it isn't technically a recall.

If you wanted to find out if your vehicle has a recall, enter your VIN on the Land Rover site dedicated to it: (Link). In my case, nothing shows up.
But, if you want to see if there are any outstanding campaigns (TSB's, CSB's, other acronyms), use this link from Land Rover's TOPIx tool. Use the lower right search. Don't need to authenticate to find out about open Campaigns: (Link). Sure enough, there it is - Campaign N627 "POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION ASSEMBLY".

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-16-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@Kev M - It's likely because CarFax is much more aggressive than manufacturers. It's their business model to report vehicle conditions, so I get it. Very similar to why I value FlightAware to understand my flights. Airlines have so many legacy systems cobbled together that they do a **** poor job of notifying changes, delays, cancellations. It's FlightAware's business model so their integrations are much more streamlined.

Specifically, I think the challenge in notification may be because it isn't technically a recall.

If you wanted to find out if your vehicle has a recall, enter your VIN on the Land Rover site dedicated to it: (Link). In my case, nothing shows up.
But, if you want to see if there are any outstanding campaigns (TSB's, CSB's, other acronyms), use this link from Land Rover's TOPIx tool. Use the lower right search. Don't need to authenticate to find out about open Campaigns: (Link). Sure enough, there it is - Campaign N627 "POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION ASSEMBLY".
Ahhhh, so THAT's why it's not listed on the NHTSA website.

But it is a campaign that doesn't seem to require a symptom.

It is listed as applicable (which the dealer confirmed when we asked the other day).

I still don't have any solid details about WHY - what exactly is/was deficient in the OEM PCV valve and related components or what exactly is the improved portion. But it's scheduled to be done next Monday for us.

Outstanding service actions found.

You are advised to contact your local Jaguar Land Rover to arrange for the necessary rectification work.
  • Outstanding Campaigns
1 outstanding campaign(s) for this vehicle.

N627 - POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION ASSEMBLY

Campaign Code: N627

Old 05-20-2022, 06:36 PM
Mudding
Received 134 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Eb21
I dropped my 21 p400 off last week. The dealer kept it for the day. the truck was running fine when I dropped it off. My drive home was fine until I exited the interstate and came to a stop. The truck started idling up and down ...then it dropped to 0 RPMs and kicked out of gear. I had to restart it. Luckily I was only 5 mins from my house. Once home it did it again in my driveway. I shut the truck down to reset the systems. Restarted and it was running fine. I contacted the dealer and sent them a video.
I didn't drive it for a few days and yesterday I had to drive into the city. Highway drive was fine and once I exited onto surface streets...SAME PROBLEM!
I pulled over and restarted again. Called the dealer and laid into them with many profanities about how my truck was fine until they did this recall "FIX" and now my truck is stalling out and the check engine light is on.
I dropped it off at LR yesterday and will know what the problem is on Monday.
3 months of ownership and it has been in the shop 4x ....I almost traded it for An Audi Etron Gt prestige sedan yesterday...I WOULD NEVER OWN THIS TRUCK OR ANY OTHER LR WITHOUT A FACTORY WARRANTY!
Did you find out the cause. Same thing with me, truck running great, took it in for something else but they did this recall as well and now it runs as you described

Old 05-21-2022, 07:25 AM
Pro Wrench

@Kev M - Here's the start of the Customer Letter that is being sent to customers:

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 08:08 AM
WMN
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

No letter (!!!!****) but TOPIx does show this recall for my VIN.

Sure wish JLR operated like it was the 21st century. Do they have hundreds of disparate systems they cannot connect?

I have a state inspection appointment in June, plus a bunch of other stuff...now I get to add this.

Thanks for post, allowing me to look and find the recall!

Will

@Kev M - Here's the start of the Customer Letter that is being sent to customers:

Old 05-21-2022, 08:20 AM
Pro Wrench

@WMN - Neither did I. In Topix, when you open the Service Campaign, there's a menu nav on the left. The third item is "Customer Letter". In one of the docs, I forget which, it explains that the letters are going out in a controlled way (waves?) so that the Service departments can handle all the vehicles. What that means in actual execution is beyond me, but I figure that's why I haven't gotten the actual letter yet either. I envy your Dealer is close. Then I would do the same and just take it to them, but the logistics don't work for me. Ymmv - but for me I just bought the kit for $13 and it appears to only be .3 hours. I plan to do it myself when I have some time because I think it's quicker than driving either to or from the Dealer (let alone the entire ordeal) and the frustration of who knows what happening.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-21-2022 at 08:28 AM.
NoGaBiker (05-24-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 10:31 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Eb21
I dropped my 21 p400 off last week. The dealer kept it for the day. the truck was running fine when I dropped it off. My drive home was fine until I exited the interstate and came to a stop. The truck started idling up and down ...then it dropped to 0 RPMs and kicked out of gear. I had to restart it. Luckily I was only 5 mins from my house. Once home it did it again in my driveway. I shut the truck down to reset the systems. Restarted and it was running fine. I contacted the dealer and sent them a video.
I didn't drive it for a few days and yesterday I had to drive into the city. Highway drive was fine and once I exited onto surface streets...SAME PROBLEM!
I pulled over and restarted again. Called the dealer and laid into them with many profanities about how my truck was fine until they did this recall "FIX" and now my truck is stalling out and the check engine light is on.
I dropped it off at LR yesterday and will know what the problem is on Monday.
3 months of ownership and it has been in the shop 4x ....I almost traded it for An Audi Etron Gt prestige sedan yesterday...I WOULD NEVER OWN THIS TRUCK OR ANY OTHER LR WITHOUT A FACTORY WARRANTY!
I would be furious and hesitant to have recalls done. These dealers have seen a defender for the first time to fix. Maybe after they fix several of them before I get my recall done.

Eb21 (05-24-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 06:59 PM
Winching
Received 602 Likes on 284 Posts

@WMN - Neither did I. In Topix, when you open the Service Campaign, there's a menu nav on the left. The third item is "Customer Letter". In one of the docs, I forget which, it explains that the letters are going out in a controlled way (waves?) so that the Service departments can handle all the vehicles. What that means in actual execution is beyond me, but I figure that's why I haven't gotten the actual letter yet either. I envy your Dealer is close. Then I would do the same and just take it to them, but the logistics don't work for me. Ymmv - but for me I just bought the kit for $13 and it appears to only be .3 hours. I plan to do it myself when I have some time because I think it's quicker than driving either to or from the Dealer (let alone the entire ordeal) and the frustration of who knows what happening.

Add me to the list of those receiving the recall letter. However, after reading a previous post where the owner was having no problems BEFORE he took it in, only to have it exhibit the problems AFTER the supposed recall fix, I am reluctant to hand my vehicle over to the dealer. Especially when the wording of the recall letter uses the words: voluntary, potential, may deteriorate, may result. It states that the Check Engine light MAY come on IF the membrane deteriorates prematurely from the use of higher content ethanol fuels. Well, I am from the ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ school of mechanics and considering waiting UNTIL the check engine light comes on based on others history. I may be speculating but as it is a simple fix, maybe the dealership handed that owners vehicle to a newbie or green mechanic, since they would reserve the more intricate jobs for their more seasoned veteran mechanics. I mean, why else would a properly running vehicle come back exhibiting the exact symptoms as those described in a malfunctioning PCV valve. In any case, since GrouseK9, if you’re reading, has purchased the part I’m considering replacing my own to avoid a repeat of that problem. Could you share with us the location of the PCV valve and what steps it takes to replace it. Thanks in advance.

GrouseK9 (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 07:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Will do. Was planning on finishing my rear spotlights and the recall over Memorial weekend.

Many years ago, I had just finished my frame up restoration of the Series IIa and all the neighbors knew I was a shade tree mechanic. A neighbor's little kid would always come by and I would fix his bike. One Memorial Weekend, he came by with his new to him, used Ford Probe. He was now 16, the head gasket was blown, and he couldn't afford to fix it. He spent his own money to buy the POS. His budding dating scene was grounded. I took mercy on a fellow, but younger traveler along the path of understanding women. This was maybe the mid' 90's. I spent the ENTIRE Memorial Weekend fixing it. Sun up to sun down and that pig was COMPLEX. Way before the internet, YouTube, and Forums, I was using a shop manual to figure it out. It was full fuel injection, tight quarters, and LOTS of crap to unwire, unplug, re-route. Took forever to take off the manifolds and I procured a lot of new tools that weekend at the local NAPA. Finally, I had Frankenstein's monster back together and the kid left overjoyed & well educated. He was my assistant for the organ transplant. A week later, he came back and apologized because he had totalled the Probe in an accident. He was fine, the white car was toast.

I hope this Memorial Day goes easier and the outcome, longer lasting. I'll document it, but all bets are off beyond that and ymmv.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-23-2022 at 07:28 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
mopadzi (06-01-2022), NoGaBiker (05-24-2022), robn (05-23-2022), user 729788 (05-24-2022), WTFChuck (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 09:51 PM
Winching
Received 602 Likes on 284 Posts

Will do. Was planning on finishing my rear spotlights and the recall over Memorial weekend.

Many years ago, I had just finished my frame up restoration of the Series IIa and all the neighbors knew I was a shade tree mechanic. A neighbor's little kid would always come by and I would fix his bike. One Memorial Weekend, he came by with his new to him, used Ford Probe. He was now 16, the head gasket was blown, and he couldn't afford to fix it. He spent his own money to buy the POS. His budding dating scene was grounded. I took mercy on a fellow, but younger traveler along the path of understanding women. This was maybe the mid' 90's. I spent the ENTIRE Memorial Weekend fixing it. Sun up to sun down and that pig was COMPLEX. Way before the internet, YouTube, and Forums, I was using a shop manual to figure it out. It was full fuel injection, tight quarters, and LOTS of crap to unwire, unplug, re-route. Took forever to take off the manifolds and I procured a lot of new tools that weekend at the local NAPA. Finally, I had Frankenstein's monster back together and the kid left overjoyed & well educated. He was my assistant for the organ transplant. A week later, he came back and apologized because he had totalled the Probe in an accident. He was fine, the white car was toast.

I hope this Memorial Day goes easier and the outcome, longer lasting. I'll document it, but all bets are off beyond that and ymmv.
We have similar histories. My first car was a ‘66 Mustang convertible, which I bought for $300 at 17 yrs old. Wish I had it now. With no prior experience I needed to keep this thing running on my own. Luckily I had a neighbor who mentored me, showed me how to do tuneups, oil changes, etc. Winter mornings lying in the snow under the car replacing a muffler, or changing a fuel filter. But the satisfaction of learning and accomplishing these repair jobs cast the stone. I would rather do it myself, carefully and meticulously, than pay someone else to do it. I’ll tackle plumbing, electrical, tiling, and will take anything apart, and with some fiddling, fix it the majority of the time. And like you, I enjoy showing someone else the ropes when they’re at a dead end. That being said, I would much rather replace this PCV valve than let the dealer touch it. I’ve also gotten cars back from a dealer with more quirks than when I brought it in. Hope your part swap goes well, waiting to hear your experience with it, as I’m sure others will be.

GrouseK9 (05-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Just got a recall notice for 2022